HTPC Screen resolution

pdi180

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I have recently ditched cable and have gone with Hulu / Netflix for my tv watching. My system is:
Q6600
Asus P5Q Pro Mobo
8800 Gt
4 Gb DDR2 Ram
500 Gb Hard Drive
Windows 7 Premium

The Shows look and run just fine, but getting the proper resolution has been a biatch. I used Nvidia's packaged screen resolution tool to make it fit the screen - I think it is about 1300 X 967. But the problem is that I can't read anything on the screen because it is too small. When I am setting it up, I have the option of 1080 or 480... I obviously chose the 1080 and shrink. The 480 resolution is just too big... So I have a goldilocks problem - I am looking for just right

My question is - am I just out of luck, or is there something else I need to try in order to get this right. I just started playing Dragon age Origin as well, and am having problems reading things on the screen. I just want it to be a little bigger! I am new to this whole HTPC game and this is the only thing left that I haven't figured out how to address.

Thanks!

Solution
You should run your desktop rez at 1920 x 1080 @ 30Hz and adjust the font dpi as hang-the-9 suggests. If I remember right, the option is on the left column of the display properties. Look for these screens in your display properties:

6955d1238489873-dpi-display-size-settings-change-display_settings.jpg

453d1238489873-dpi-display-size-settings-change-display.jpg

For games, you might be able to adjust the font by hacking an xml file or something.
Windows has an option to set text size independently of the resolution, but that may not go over to the games. I don't have a Win7 machine here to tell you exactly where to go, but you can find it on there. The games you probably have to set to a lower resolution in the game config to play and be able to read the text.

You should run your desktop rez at 1920 x 1080 @ 30Hz and adjust the font dpi as hang-the-9 suggests. If I remember right, the option is on the left column of the display properties. Look for these screens in your display properties:

6955d1238489873-dpi-display-size-settings-change-display_settings.jpg

453d1238489873-dpi-display-size-settings-change-display.jpg

For games, you might be able to adjust the font by hacking an xml file or something.

Solution