USB Thumb/Flash Drive

Upon inserting a thumb drive into any usb port on my computer the normal
symbol appears in my system tray and if I access it the appropriate name for
the drive appears there such as "cruzer mini" or whatever it is so clearly it
is not a question of not accessing the drive. However it does not appear in
"My Computer" and I have tried updating the drivers to no avail.

Hoping someone can drop me a hint on what this could be, thanks for your help.

Byte

If the F5 (Refresh) does not do it, then push the power button of the
thumbdrive to ON. It should then show in My Computer.
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"Riles" wrote:

> Upon inserting a thumb drive into any usb port on my computer the normal
> symbol appears in my system tray and if I access it the appropriate name for
> the drive appears there such as "cruzer mini" or whatever it is so clearly it
> is not a question of not accessing the drive. However it does not appear in
> "My Computer" and I have tried updating the drivers to no avail.
>
> Hoping someone can drop me a hint on what this could be, thanks for your help.

Sorry, that feature costs extra.

Seriously: Open My Computer and press F5 to refresh the display.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Riles" <Riles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Upon inserting a thumb drive into any usb port on my computer the normal
> symbol appears in my system tray and if I access it the appropriate name
for
> the drive appears there such as "cruzer mini" or whatever it is so clearly
it
> is not a question of not accessing the drive. However it does not appear
in
> "My Computer" and I have tried updating the drivers to no avail.
>
> Hoping someone can drop me a hint on what this could be, thanks for your
help.

"Riles" <Riles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Upon inserting a thumb drive into any usb port on my computer the normal
> symbol appears in my system tray and if I access it the appropriate name
> for
> the drive appears there such as "cruzer mini" or whatever it is so clearly
> it
> is not a question of not accessing the drive. However it does not appear
> in
> "My Computer" and I have tried updating the drivers to no avail.
>
> Hoping someone can drop me a hint on what this could be, thanks for your
> help.

It should show up as [Removeable disk (H:)] or whatever letter is
assigned.You'll have to create directories on it if you want a tree.

Simply refreshing the computer will probably not work well.

In your case, it appears that your computer does see it, it's just not
letting YOU see it. This may be because there is no "name" associated
with it, like "C," "D," etc. Simply put, you have a drive and you're
going to need to assign a letter to it.

1) Plug in your flash drive.
2) Go to start-->run and type in diskmgmt.msc. This will bring up the
Disk Management window. In here you'll see two sections. The top will
show what is already named and the bottom will show everything that is
attached. Navigate to your flash drive (look for key words like "cruz"
or whatever it's called). Right-click on it and select "change drive
letter and paths" and assign it a letter. Close out of it.
This should work without having to unplug your flash drive but if it
doesn't show, unplug it. You shouldn't have to re-do this every time.
From now on you should be able to just plug-and-play as you were meant
to.

Let me know if this works or not.

cheers