Flicker Problems Above 60 Hertz

BodakHimself

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Recently, my monitor started to flicker horribly (and by this i mean the screen actually jerks around) at any refresh rate other than 60 hertz. At first I thought it was my NEC Multisync FE700+ crapping out, but I recently purchased a ViewSonic A91f+ and I have the same problem. I'm fairly certain that the problem lies with my Ti4600, although I don't know why this would be happening. Does anyone have any experience with this or has heard about this type of problem?

Please let me know if I need to provide any other information.

mofofosho

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2005
i feel your pain. i too, had a bout, of badly blistered knuckles and eyeball jelly running down me eyes, beating on/killing my monitirs senseless when that started happening, so try loading teh monitors driver, and depending on the card driver(s) youve been using, id say the best workaround is to try reforce, a handy utility, that automatically detects monitor refresh rates.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Remove the card and check all the capcitors look normal (any which look a bit 'bulgy' or are leaking are likely dead or dying). I had 3 die and leak all over the place on my old Leadtek Ti4600. I didn't notice any ill effects while using it (I noticed the dodgy capacitors when I was removing it for other reasons), but I was using it just for 2d windows work at the time anyway.

Dead caps can have all kinds of effects on motherboards, so I guess the same holds true for Gfx cards.

You've ruled out the monitor, and it only just started happening, so unless you've just installed some new piece of software/updated drivers or something, I'd say it's a hardware problem.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
This sounds like interference, the CRT reacting to electrical fields of some other device like an AC fan, an air conditioner, another CRT or TV, a stereo amplifier, powered speakers, that sort of thing.

You can determine if you have this kind of interference if the frequency of the "shaking" changes with refresh rate. Shakes slower at 70 Hz, faster at 90 Hz, and faster still at 100 Hz. It should stop shaking at 120 Hz.

If you do have this kind of interference it's a beat frequency that you are seeing. The beat being the difference between the refresh rate and the power cycle of 60 Hz, for example, 10 shakes per second when refresh is at 70 hz (70 Hz - 60 Hz = 10 Hz beat frequency).

To fix this problem move the CRT away from the offending device. If that doesn't work make sure that no power cords run parallel to your video cable. They can cross each other but just don't let them run side by side.

I had an interference problem with a box fan I used to use. Put it within 4 feet of my CRT and the image shook badly (enough to make me nauseus).

I've heard of people having similar problems with some powered speakers, especially 2 channel systems where the amplifier (in one of speakers) is too close to the CRT.

However, electrical motors and florescent lights, and powerpack transformers are the biggest offenders.

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Those Ti4600 were a bit overpowered and undercooled. Im still using mine, in wife's rig, by using an AMD reference HSF on the GPU.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Probably the RAMDAC toasted on you. Could uninstall your driver, run driver cleaner, then reinstall but other than that, RMA that VGA card.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>