HELP : Diai-Up Password won't save !

June 22, 2005 11:34:53 PM

Hi there,

Can someone please solve this mystery for me !

I have set up my Dial-up as normal and in the 'Password' box I put in
my SIX letter password for my ISP.
I then tick the 'Save Password' box and close.

If I then use the 'Dial-Up' it won't connect :-(

When I go back into the settings I now find that the password is
SIXTEEN letters (or should I say asterisks !) long !!!!
Why ?

The only way I can use Dial-up is NOT to save the password, and insert
it EVERY time manually .. a real pain.

I am using Windows XP Pto SP2 and I have NO passwords on the system
anywhere that are 16 letters/numbers long so where is it getting this
from ? .. and more to the point how do I get rif of it so it inputes
my correct 6 letter password AND save it correctly !

Thanks in Advance,

Steve

More about : diai password save

June 22, 2005 11:34:54 PM

Steve
You might have a DIALER. Sometimes they change the username and/or password.
Why don't you scan your computer for viruses and for spyware. You could use
"AD-AWARE" and "Spybot - Search & Destroy" also "Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0". I
hope this helps

Spybot - Search and Destroy download link(free!)
http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

Ad-Aware Home page
http://www.lavasoft.com/

Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0 Download page from Download.com
http://www.download.com/Webroot-Spy-Sweeper/3000-8022_4...

--
Δ � į Σ Γ

"Steve" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Can someone please solve this mystery for me !
>
> I have set up my Dial-up as normal and in the 'Password' box I put in
> my SIX letter password for my ISP.
> I then tick the 'Save Password' box and close.
>
> If I then use the 'Dial-Up' it won't connect :-(
>
> When I go back into the settings I now find that the password is
> SIXTEEN letters (or should I say asterisks !) long !!!!
> Why ?
>
> The only way I can use Dial-up is NOT to save the password, and insert
> it EVERY time manually .. a real pain.
>
> I am using Windows XP Pto SP2 and I have NO passwords on the system
> anywhere that are 16 letters/numbers long so where is it getting this
> from ? .. and more to the point how do I get rif of it so it inputes
> my correct 6 letter password AND save it correctly !
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Steve

June 23, 2005 11:11:57 AM

Hi there,

Firstly sorry for my typo's.. I ain't normally this bad .. honest !

The installation is brand new (as is all the computer components !) it
has had Norton Anti-Virus on (Latest Edition) on right from the first
connect to the web.
Also I have had Ad-Aware SE V1.06 (Latest also) right from the start
as well, I have scanned again to-day and it found nothing.

This problem happed on the VERY FIRST connect to the internet !
I thought of dialer too, I have read lots about those, but my ISP
number remains the same, even when the password changes.
It seems as though the password is "write protected" and can't be
changed.
I have left all dial-up setting (i.e. default) as they were
originally... maybe something needs to be changed ?

Any more help please ???

Steve

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:58:02 -0700, "? Ð ? ? ?"
<@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Steve
>You might have a DIALER. Sometimes they change the username and/or password.
>Why don't you scan your computer for viruses and for spyware. You could use
>"AD-AWARE" and "Spybot - Search & Destroy" also "Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0". I
>hope this helps
>
>Spybot - Search and Destroy download link(free!)
>http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
>
>Ad-Aware Home page
>http://www.lavasoft.com/
>
>Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0 Download page from Download.com
>http://www.download.com/Webroot-Spy-Sweeper/3000-8022_4...
July 7, 2005 10:35:05 PM

Steve.
did you ever get a satisfactory solution? My computer does the same thing!
Sherry

"Steve" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Firstly sorry for my typo's.. I ain't normally this bad .. honest !
>
> The installation is brand new (as is all the computer components !) it
> has had Norton Anti-Virus on (Latest Edition) on right from the first
> connect to the web.
> Also I have had Ad-Aware SE V1.06 (Latest also) right from the start
> as well, I have scanned again to-day and it found nothing.
>
> This problem happed on the VERY FIRST connect to the internet !
> I thought of dialer too, I have read lots about those, but my ISP
> number remains the same, even when the password changes.
> It seems as though the password is "write protected" and can't be
> changed.
> I have left all dial-up setting (i.e. default) as they were
> originally... maybe something needs to be changed ?
>
> Any more help please ???
>
> Steve
>

> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:58:02 -0700, "? Ã? ? ? ?"
> <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Steve
> >You might have a DIALER. Sometimes they change the username and/or password.
> >Why don't you scan your computer for viruses and for spyware. You could use
> >"AD-AWARE" and "Spybot - Search & Destroy" also "Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0". I
> >hope this helps
> >
> >Spybot - Search and Destroy download link(free!)
> >http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
> >
> >Ad-Aware Home page
> >http://www.lavasoft.com/
> >
> >Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0 Download page from Download.com
> >http://www.download.com/Webroot-Spy-Sweeper/3000-8022_4...

July 8, 2005 10:30:03 AM

Hi Sherry,

No I didn't I'm afraid !
It is almost 99.9% not a virus as well as it has happened from a clean
install and I have Norton AV, Zone Alarm, Spy Cleaner Gold etc. and
others befire I connected to the Internet, and even then I have only
really downloaded a few emails as I have another computer that I use
for the Internet !

I am glad I am not alone, but I am still puizzled why this happens,
and even more puzzled why no one has come up with the solution !
I have asked a few questions on newsgroups over the years and this is
the ONLY question I have never received a reply to !

I still have to type my password in the box EVERY time I connect to
the internet to get my emails :-(
Is the "inbuilt" password you can't get rid of 16 characters (or *'s)
long too ?

I will wait a little longer and repost the question ... see if I get a
solution !

Steve

!