HELP : Diai-Up Password won't save !

Hi there,

Can someone please solve this mystery for me !

I have set up my Dial-up as normal and in the 'Password' box I put in
my SIX letter password for my ISP.
I then tick the 'Save Password' box and close.

If I then use the 'Dial-Up' it won't connect :-(

When I go back into the settings I now find that the password is
SIXTEEN letters (or should I say asterisks !) long !!!!
Why ?

The only way I can use Dial-up is NOT to save the password, and insert
it EVERY time manually .. a real pain.

I am using Windows XP Pto SP2 and I have NO passwords on the system
anywhere that are 16 letters/numbers long so where is it getting this
from ? .. and more to the point how do I get rif of it so it inputes
my correct 6 letter password AND save it correctly !

Thanks in Advance,

Steve
4 answers Last reply
More about help diai password save

    Steve
    You might have a DIALER. Sometimes they change the username and/or password.
    Why don't you scan your computer for viruses and for spyware. You could use
    "AD-AWARE" and "Spybot - Search & Destroy" also "Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0". I
    hope this helps

    Spybot - Search and Destroy download link(free!)
    http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

    Ad-Aware Home page
    http://www.lavasoft.com/

    Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0 Download page from Download.com
    http://www.download.com/Webroot-Spy-Sweeper/3000-8022_4-10405877.html

    --
    Δ � į Σ Γ

    "Steve" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Can someone please solve this mystery for me !
    >
    > I have set up my Dial-up as normal and in the 'Password' box I put in
    > my SIX letter password for my ISP.
    > I then tick the 'Save Password' box and close.
    >
    > If I then use the 'Dial-Up' it won't connect :-(
    >
    > When I go back into the settings I now find that the password is
    > SIXTEEN letters (or should I say asterisks !) long !!!!
    > Why ?
    >
    > The only way I can use Dial-up is NOT to save the password, and insert
    > it EVERY time manually .. a real pain.
    >
    > I am using Windows XP Pto SP2 and I have NO passwords on the system
    > anywhere that are 16 letters/numbers long so where is it getting this
    > from ? .. and more to the point how do I get rif of it so it inputes
    > my correct 6 letter password AND save it correctly !
    >
    > Thanks in Advance,
    >
    > Steve

    Hi there,

    Firstly sorry for my typo's.. I ain't normally this bad .. honest !

    The installation is brand new (as is all the computer components !) it
    has had Norton Anti-Virus on (Latest Edition) on right from the first
    connect to the web.
    Also I have had Ad-Aware SE V1.06 (Latest also) right from the start
    as well, I have scanned again to-day and it found nothing.

    This problem happed on the VERY FIRST connect to the internet !
    I thought of dialer too, I have read lots about those, but my ISP
    number remains the same, even when the password changes.
    It seems as though the password is "write protected" and can't be
    changed.
    I have left all dial-up setting (i.e. default) as they were
    originally... maybe something needs to be changed ?

    Any more help please ???

    Steve

    On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:58:02 -0700, "? Ð ? ? ?"
    <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Steve
    >You might have a DIALER. Sometimes they change the username and/or password.
    >Why don't you scan your computer for viruses and for spyware. You could use
    >"AD-AWARE" and "Spybot - Search & Destroy" also "Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0". I
    >hope this helps
    >
    >Spybot - Search and Destroy download link(free!)
    >http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
    >
    >Ad-Aware Home page
    >http://www.lavasoft.com/
    >
    >Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0 Download page from Download.com
    >http://www.download.com/Webroot-Spy-Sweeper/3000-8022_4-10405877.html

    Steve.
    did you ever get a satisfactory solution? My computer does the same thing!
    Sherry

    "Steve" wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Firstly sorry for my typo's.. I ain't normally this bad .. honest !
    >
    > The installation is brand new (as is all the computer components !) it
    > has had Norton Anti-Virus on (Latest Edition) on right from the first
    > connect to the web.
    > Also I have had Ad-Aware SE V1.06 (Latest also) right from the start
    > as well, I have scanned again to-day and it found nothing.
    >
    > This problem happed on the VERY FIRST connect to the internet !
    > I thought of dialer too, I have read lots about those, but my ISP
    > number remains the same, even when the password changes.
    > It seems as though the password is "write protected" and can't be
    > changed.
    > I have left all dial-up setting (i.e. default) as they were
    > originally... maybe something needs to be changed ?
    >
    > Any more help please ???
    >
    > Steve
    >

    > On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:58:02 -0700, "? Ã? ? ? ?"
    > <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Steve
    > >You might have a DIALER. Sometimes they change the username and/or password.
    > >Why don't you scan your computer for viruses and for spyware. You could use
    > >"AD-AWARE" and "Spybot - Search & Destroy" also "Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0". I
    > >hope this helps
    > >
    > >Spybot - Search and Destroy download link(free!)
    > >http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
    > >
    > >Ad-Aware Home page
    > >http://www.lavasoft.com/
    > >
    > >Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0 Download page from Download.com
    > >http://www.download.com/Webroot-Spy-Sweeper/3000-8022_4-10405877.html

    Hi Sherry,

    No I didn't I'm afraid !
    It is almost 99.9% not a virus as well as it has happened from a clean
    install and I have Norton AV, Zone Alarm, Spy Cleaner Gold etc. and
    others befire I connected to the Internet, and even then I have only
    really downloaded a few emails as I have another computer that I use
    for the Internet !

    I am glad I am not alone, but I am still puizzled why this happens,
    and even more puzzled why no one has come up with the solution !
    I have asked a few questions on newsgroups over the years and this is
    the ONLY question I have never received a reply to !

    I still have to type my password in the box EVERY time I connect to
    the internet to get my emails :-(
    Is the "inbuilt" password you can't get rid of 16 characters (or *'s)
    long too ?

    I will wait a little longer and repost the question ... see if I get a
    solution !

    Steve

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 18:35:05 -0700, sherry
    <sherry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Steve.
    >did you ever get a satisfactory solution? My computer does the same thing!
    >Sherry
    >
    >"Steve" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Firstly sorry for my typo's.. I ain't normally this bad .. honest !
    >>
    >> The installation is brand new (as is all the computer components !) it
    >> has had Norton Anti-Virus on (Latest Edition) on right from the first
    >> connect to the web.
    >> Also I have had Ad-Aware SE V1.06 (Latest also) right from the start
    >> as well, I have scanned again to-day and it found nothing.
    >>
    >> This problem happed on the VERY FIRST connect to the internet !
    >> I thought of dialer too, I have read lots about those, but my ISP
    >> number remains the same, even when the password changes.
    >> It seems as though the password is "write protected" and can't be
    >> changed.
    >> I have left all dial-up setting (i.e. default) as they were
    >> originally... maybe something needs to be changed ?
    >>
    >> Any more help please ???
    >>
    >> Steve
    >>

    >> On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 13:58:02 -0700, "? Ð ? ? ?"
    >> <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Steve
    >> >You might have a DIALER. Sometimes they change the username and/or password.
    >> >Why don't you scan your computer for viruses and for spyware. You could use
    >> >"AD-AWARE" and "Spybot - Search & Destroy" also "Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0". I
    >> >hope this helps
    >> >
    >> >Spybot - Search and Destroy download link(free!)
    >> >http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html
    >> >
    >> >Ad-Aware Home page
    >> >http://www.lavasoft.com/
    >> >
    >> >Webroot Spy Sweeper 4.0 Download page from Download.com
    >> >http://www.download.com/Webroot-Spy-Sweeper/3000-8022_4-10405877.html

Internet Service Providers Dial Up Connection Windows XP