Butch2112

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
Ok here is the deal I got a Great buy on a almost new HP Laser jet 5n it has a jet direct card allready installed. How do I connect this to my home network? Its gotta be more than just plug it into a port. Do I have to install drivers on each computer? I am lost as an easter egg on this subject. Step by step details would be great thanks.
Details of network: Cat5 on patch panel to linksys befsr 4port router/switch

If you see a turtle on top of a fence post,
It's a good bet somebody, put him up there.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
You can just install it normally on 1 computer with the parrallel or usb cable and share it from that computer. Just gotta make sure file and print sharing is enabled then you can add it through the "add printers" thing on the other computers. Don't have to install the drivers on any of the computers if thier 2k/XP most likely.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you have to configure the printer, it can use dhcp or you can staticaly add an ip. and yes you will need to install the software on each computer you want to use. i support them at work. they are simple to setup, just familiarize yourself with the menu. not meaning to sound like a jerk, but read the manual. if you didnt get one, www.hp.com

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Don't you need a server to use it as a node on a network? I'm sharing a HP Laser Jet and i've never had to install drivers for 2k or XP and it runs fine.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
each computer can act as a server. you did install the drivers, you just didnt know it. its all automatic if it can find the drivers. the computer that shares the printer also shares the printer drivers for all os' you tell it to.

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Yea i know it installed the drivers itself I was meaning i didn't have to do it from the disc or do anything. I guess you could hook it up to the hub the networks on and it'll show up as itself? Was just thinking a server to control access to it hehe, Net + has me thinking of server envronments.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
basicaly the server that shares the printer is the printer server. if its just hooked up the internet, when you go to add a printer you just type the name of the printer, ip address works too.

Butch2112

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
Thanks for the info I allready have it set up on my computer but it has to be on for others to print to it. I really want the other computers to be able to use it independant of my mech. The manual is a good idea I did'nt get one. (but I bought it at a repo sale for 50 bucks I fig it was a good deal) Thanks to all

If you see a turtle on top of a fence post,
It's a good bet somebody, put him up there.