Sign in with
Your question

Windows 8 Depressing

Last response: in Windows 8
August 30, 2012 4:42:08 PM

Any one else get depressed using Windows 8. I find Metro UI and it's color scheme very depressing to use.

More about : windows depressing

August 30, 2012 5:04:28 PM

I would recommend taking anti-depressants.
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:14:30 PM

Chairman Ray said:
I would recommend taking anti-depressants.

Haha yes I agree, stick with 7. Is anyone even going to use Win 8?
m
l
Related resources
August 30, 2012 5:23:34 PM

The performance gains of Windows 8 make it worth the change in UI and in reality, the UI isn't that awful. I have two 1920x1080 monitors and very rarely ever make it over to the new Start menu as it's pretty extraneous.
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:51:33 PM

performance gains? oh you mean you're a share holder and your stocks gain more when people buy this piece of $%*^ ?

Yeah look at them KILLER BENCHMARKS .....oh wait those better benchmarks belong to Windows 7....
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:52:36 PM

Ha! that's what you get for even Trying 8!!! :lol: 
m
l
August 30, 2012 5:59:46 PM

I feel zero remorse for people installing Win 8 to begin with. What the hell are you thinking, you had a million warning signs. Buried. Long live Windows 7.

and my tablet will be Android based, thx.
m
l
August 30, 2012 6:52:04 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
performance gains? oh you mean you're a share holder and your stocks gain more when people buy this piece of $%*^ ?

Yeah look at them KILLER BENCHMARKS .....oh wait those better benchmarks belong to Windows 7....

First of all, the benchmarks that you refer to are from September 19th, 2011 :pfff:  The difference between the Developer preview and RTM version is fairly large in terms of overall system stability and snapiness. No, I'm not a Microsoft shareholder, I'm just a computer enthusiast probably much like yourself. The main performance gain I was referring to is the much quicker startup/shutdown times. Go back under your bridge, you troll.
m
l
August 30, 2012 6:55:05 PM

theclash150 said:
First of all, the benchmarks that you refer to are from September 19th, 2011 :pfff:  The difference between the Developer preview and RTM version is fairly large in terms of overall system stability and snapiness. No, I'm not a Microsoft shareholder, I'm just a computer enthusiast probably much like yourself. The main performance gain I was referring to is the much quicker startup/shutdown times. Go back under your bridge, you troll.

So? Win 8 sucked in september, Win 8 sucks now. Not my fault windows 7 is better. Lets compare startup/shutdown times. Well since I only shut my PC down once a...well once an upgrade, you will have to wait a month or so. Not to mention if you want fast startup/shutdown times my ssd will blow your Win 8 away. I mean really? that is your argument? Shutdown and startup times? Who gives a flying hoot about shutdown and startup times? dear god help us
m
l
August 30, 2012 6:59:59 PM

aslong as i'm not forced to upgrade to a new os due to lack of DirectX support Windows 7 is all the OS i need. I tried Windows 8 for 2 weeks and i could never get used to the Modern UI and having to go through everything through the Modern UI due to a lack of a start menu in which i use all the time. Windows 8 is great for tablets but for desktops and laptops it's the totally opposite. Windows 7 will be the new Windows XP it's a good solid OS and will be popular for years and years to come.
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:02:19 PM

I will agree with you there Steel, Windows 8 as a tablet/phone OS would have been great to see. Not this desktop crapola mac touch screen wanna be junk.
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:10:16 PM

DarkOutlaw said:
So? Win 8 sucked in september, Win 8 sucks now. Not my fault windows 7 is better. Lets compare startup/shutdown times. Well since I only shut my PC down once a...well once an upgrade, you will have to wait a month or so. Not to mention if you want fast startup/shutdown times my ssd will blow your Win 8 away. I mean really? that is your argument? Shutdown and startup times? Who gives a flying hoot about shutdown and startup times? dear god help us

I don't understand the blatant hostility. Have you honestly given Windows 8 an actual shot? I doubt you've even sat down for more than 15 minutes with it. Who gives a hoot about shutdown/startup and sleep/wake times? Hm maybe anyone that owns a laptop? You can't honestly think that the Developer preview is a fair representation of the final product. And yes, I do have a solid state drive (Crucial m4) with Windows 7, Windows 8 and Mountain Lion (Hackintosh) on it. I honestly don't get why a faster OS would be a bad thing. Windows 8 loses no functionality and performs better than Windows 7. That's a fact. If you're going to cry about the Start menu's overhaul, it's clearly because the learning curve is far too steep for you, and that's okay, thinking isn't meant for everyone apparently.
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:15:12 PM

Whether M'soft shareholders like it or not. Win 7 is showing all the signs of being the new XP.

I've had Win 7 since January now, and absolutely love it, I had XP for near 9 years, superb O/S.

As for 8? I've tried it, and immediately forgot about it, ok for phones I suppose, but other than that. Nope.
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:17:10 PM

@theclash: only thing i'll say is...that iirc win 8 doesn't really shut down. it hibernates. thus the faster "boot" times. should be wake times, really.

For the rest, i haven't used win 8 so i can't speak too much about metro, though arguably it's not something i'd be too keen to shift to on a PC.
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:24:38 PM

I am not impressed with Win 8 on multiple levels. First, the whole system feels clunky and inelegant. Also I find its design visually unappealing.

If you could actually customize it, it might be better, but Microsoft is now locking it down so that there are very few meaningful changes you can make to the way it operates or the way that you interact with it.

I am relatively unconcerned if there are some speed increases. There are also speed increases associated with moving to Linux, and you get the ability to set up your system the way you want to and use it the way you want to.

Right now I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7. If Win 8 sets the standard that all future versions of Windows will follow, my next system after this one will probably be some flavor of Linux.
m
l
August 30, 2012 7:34:22 PM

seamus_ar said:
I am not impressed with Win 8 on multiple levels. First, the whole system feels clunky and inelegant. Also I find its design visually unappealing.

If you could actually customize it, it might be better, but Microsoft is now locking it down so that there are very few meaningful changes you can make to the way it operates or the way that you interact with it.

I am relatively unconcerned if there are some speed increases. There are also speed increases associated with moving to Linux, and you get the ability to set up your system the way you want to and use it the way you want to.

Right now I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7. If Win 8 sets the standard that all future versions of Windows will follow, my next system after this one will probably be some flavor of Linux.

Now that gaming support/Steam is comming to linux that is a very real possibility.
m
l
September 2, 2012 2:58:49 PM

i don't understand the back and forth some people are having about windows 8, yes, win8 has improvements over 7 and 7 has some things liked better by others, i don't get why people are arguing about which one is better. WHO CARES

i personally like Win8, no complaints about it, I also like Win7. I have had no issues with either one. That is my opinion on both, im sure others would have their own opinion, maybe it does not run well on their PC or they like one thing over the other, that is their opinion. nothing to get bent out of shape over.

as Seamus has mentioned, if it does continue a trend of more touch oriented i would be switching to Linux and have windows as a backup in case something does not work well with Linux.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 2, 2012 5:08:11 PM

If Win 8 is depressing then there are 2 options....

1. Make a noose and hang yourself.

2. Continue to use Win 7/Vista/Win XP.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 2, 2012 5:11:21 PM

Oh, another option....

3. Switch over to Mac OS.
m
l
September 2, 2012 9:31:30 PM

Put it this way. Built a new PC over the last week. Guess what OS I went for? 7. There is no point upgrading to 8. Will it give me better FPS? No. New DirectX? No. Faster browsing? No. I could care less for tweaks and a splash of paint. If I wanted faster bootup and shutdown (I don't care either way) I'd buy an SSD for 7. This is the first OS I'm not buying or not even bothering to download. Its pointless. Most games don't even use DirectX 11 fully and the ones coming next year will still be built for 7 just as well as 8. No difference. Basically, no point.
m
l
September 2, 2012 10:46:58 PM

There is no back and forth. Quite simply Microsoft have overhauled and far improved the subsystems of Windows 8. For that, I must applaud them.

However, they replaced the Start Menu with a second screen, added in hidden menus and generally destroyed a perfectly good user interface in an abortive attempt at trying to build an Operating System that could span all "Windows" devices. Unfortunately, the keyboard and mouse desktop is one of those environments where Windows 8 is absolute hell to use. For that blasphemy, I must award them my lowest accolade, the spending of my money somewhere else.

I must add that I have spent my money on every release of Windows from Windows 95 through to Windows 7, including the much hated Vista. Windows 8 will be the first Windows release that I will be skipping, as will most others that I know. I sincerely hope that Microsoft wake up, smell the roses, learns their terrible lesson from Windows 8 and put Windows 9 (or whatever it's called) back on track.
m
l
September 2, 2012 11:13:30 PM

Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7, about 15% or so depending on the benchmark, although the improvement is not that noticeable. I also hate the interface formerly known as Metro, but Windows 8 can at least be made tolerable by adding the following two programs, ClassicShell_3_6_1 and Ribbon Disabler for explorer. I still miss Aero and the gadgets, but with the release version of Windows 8 if you shut down in the desktop it boots back up in the desktop so you never have to see the hated Metro.
m
l
September 2, 2012 11:26:23 PM

pauls3743 said:
There is no back and forth. Quite simply Microsoft have overhauled and far improved the subsystems of Windows 8. For that, I must applaud them.

However, they replaced the Start Menu with a second screen, added in hidden menus and generally destroyed a perfectly good user interface in an abortive attempt at trying to build an Operating System that could span all "Windows" devices. Unfortunately, the keyboard and mouse desktop is one of those environments where Windows 8 is absolute hell to use. For that blasphemy, I must award them my lowest accolade, the spending of my money somewhere else.

I must add that I have spent my money on every release of Windows from Windows 95 through to Windows 7, including the much hated Vista. Windows 8 will be the first Windows release that I will be skipping, as will most others that I know. I sincerely hope that Microsoft wake up, smell the roses, learns their terrible lesson from Windows 8 and put Windows 9 (or whatever it's called) back on track.

Taht's been my experience, too. I skipped Windows ME and went from Windows 98 2nd edition to XP and then I tried Vista and went back to XP and now using 4 computers running Win7 and love it. Win8, I think I'll skip.
m
l
September 2, 2012 11:53:09 PM

It will be great for those that want to utilize the whole Windows 8 Ecosystem, tablet, dekstop, WP8, Xbox.
m
l
September 3, 2012 12:51:14 AM

If linux could play all my games without a hassle I would switch in a heart beat.
m
l
Anonymous
September 3, 2012 2:16:00 AM

Nope, months of Win 8 on my Laptop, and today I gave up on it, installed Mint 13 (Mate) and I will be done with it.

Windows 7 for gaming on my main PC, And Ubuntu as my daily Operating system on the home office PC!
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 3, 2012 2:32:52 AM

DarkOutlaw said:

I think he was referring to the faster start up & shutdown times faster starting of app's and games. Plus the performance gained in gaming and yes there is a good performance gain in a lot of games compared to Windows 7 but you would have to actually install and run Windows 8 to find that out. As far as the UI it better in every way compared to Windows 7. To start an App in Windows 8 Click Metro Menu Scroll to App then click on the App > Windows 7 Click Start Menu > All Programs > scroll to Folder > Click Folder > Then click on App! The real facts are that Windows 8 is faster in everything from startup to shutdown and everything in between. Like it don't like it but I will use the OS that is the fastest and easiest to use and that is Windows 8 with out a doubt. On top of better support for my 3 Asus 27" monitors and native support for my Panasonic 50" 3D TV.
m
l
September 3, 2012 2:35:46 AM

bryonhowley said:
I think he was referring to the faster start up & shutdown times faster starting of app's and games. Plus the performance gained in gaming and yes there is a good performance gain in a lot of games compared to Windows 7 but you would have to actually install and run Windows 8 to find that out. As far as the UI it better in every way compared to Windows 7. To start an App in Windows 8 Click Metro Menu Scroll to App then click on the App > Windows 7 Click Start Menu > All Programs > scroll to Folder > Click Folder > Then click on App! The real facts are that Windows 8 is faster in everything from startup to shutdown and everything in between. Like it don't like it but I will use the OS that is the fastest and easiest to use and that is Windows 8 with out a doubt.

Am I the only one who uses programs pinned to the task bar or shortcuts to on the desktop to launch commonly used programs? The only time I navigate through start menu is when I search for a seldom used program. Most commonly used ones are readily available.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 3, 2012 2:42:54 AM

egilbe said:
Am I the only one who uses programs pinned to the task bar or shortcuts to on the desktop to launch commonly used programs? The only time I navigate through start menu is when I search for a seldom used program. Most commonly used ones are readily available.

No I have quite a few programs pinned to the taskbar I use them quite a bit. But even for a new program I install Windows 8 still takes less mouse clicks and moves to find the program I want and pin it to the taskbar.
m
l
September 3, 2012 2:53:43 AM

egilbe said:

I do that too, I have all of my frequently used programs on the task bar and very rarely go through the start menu. Between that, and having folders pinned to the Explorer icon on the task bar I don't leave the desktop much.
m
l
September 3, 2012 2:54:55 AM

bryonhowley said:
I think he was referring to the faster start up & shutdown times faster starting of app's and games. Plus the performance gained in gaming and yes there is a good performance gain in a lot of games compared to Windows 7 but you would have to actually install and run Windows 8 to find that out. As far as the UI it better in every way compared to Windows 7. To start an App in Windows 8 Click Metro Menu Scroll to App then click on the App > Windows 7 Click Start Menu > All Programs > scroll to Folder > Click Folder > Then click on App! The real facts are that Windows 8 is faster in everything from startup to shutdown and everything in between. Like it don't like it but I will use the OS that is the fastest and easiest to use and that is Windows 8 with out a doubt. On top of better support for my 3 Asus 27" monitors and native support for my Panasonic 50" 3D TV.

Im sorry, but you forgot ( win 7 ) start > type name of app enter ...Ed: I also keep commonly used apps in taskbar and start menu in win 7
m
l
September 3, 2012 8:22:23 AM

bryonhowley said:

Performance gains in games ???

Sorry but I beg to differ and submit this review as support of my own experience with W8

17 games benched and the conclusion was
"After testing both AMD's Radeon HD 7970 and NVIDIA's GeForce GTX 680 on Windows 8 using 19 benchmarks, we can confirm that both Windows 7 and Windows 8 offer the same gaming performance"

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Microsoft/Windows_8_...

Mactronix :) 
m
l
September 3, 2012 8:34:22 AM

Windows 7 until 2020 or until Microsoft's entire mobile strategy collapses (when they'll hopefully shift away from smartphone UIs).
m
l
September 3, 2012 12:29:13 PM

egilbe said:

i do the same, got chrome, XBMC, Steam and windows explorer on the taskbar, so that covers all my movies/TV Shows that i ripped to my computer, music, new downloads, steam games and internet. I then just have a folder on my desktop with all my game shortcuts.

i never have to use the NUI... i hate that name.... metro ui... hate that too... if i need something like calculator, i have that on my keyboard.
m
l
September 4, 2012 3:59:14 PM

It's not "Metro UI" anymore--they hit a copyright violation and had to change it. I believe now they are just calling it "Modern UI."
m
l
September 4, 2012 4:29:19 PM

thought it was "New User Interface"
m
l
September 6, 2012 6:57:29 AM

pjmelect said:
Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7, about 15% or so depending on the benchmark, although the improvement is not that noticeable. I also hate the interface formerly known as Metro, but Windows 8 can at least be made tolerable by adding the following two programs, ClassicShell_3_6_1 and Ribbon Disabler for explorer. I still miss Aero and the gadgets, but with the release version of Windows 8 if you shut down in the desktop it boots back up in the desktop so you never have to see the hated Metro.

Totally hate the Metro design on the dekstop comp.
Installed Classic Shell and never looked back.

Funny how there's no reception section for Windows 8 or its metro interface in Wikipedia page. Somebody needs to write about Classic Shell there too :D 
m
l
September 6, 2012 7:12:28 AM

I don't know about you guys but i'm fine with windows 8. Desktop has it, migrating to windows 8 pro on laptop now.
m
l
September 6, 2012 7:14:32 AM

Not really something to be depressed about is it?
the only big difference is the metro UI and the off screen menus.
I think of metro as a fullscreen startbar as unless you use any metro apps (which are usually ones that are not used in a productivity environment (they don't need to be resised or windowed), so I don't see everyone's problem with that. The off screen menus are easy to use with a mouse and keyboard, just move the mouse off the edge of the screen, it's not difficult.
You don't have to confirm sending something to the recycle bin which is nice.
Startup and shutdown is quicker.
Administrative tools are easier and quicker to find as well.
Most other things are pretty much the same.
I wouldn't upgrade from 7 as there isn't enough difference but from XP or vista I would definitely recommend it.
(laptop running 7, desktop has W8 release prev
m
l
September 6, 2012 7:41:50 AM

I like W7 and am not changing to w8 allthough I was tempted for a while. But I wonder if M$ changed the classic desktop to Metro not only for integrating multiple W based devices but also to create a large market for Kinetic for Windows?
m
l
Anonymous
September 6, 2012 7:45:21 AM

I don't see where all the whining about metro is coming from.

Do people really like start, all programs, file, file, etc.. menu that much?

I'm actually preferring the W8 tiles. Once you clear out the default options and place programs you use but don't taskbar, it becomes really easy to just press windows key and click a tile (shortcut). I don't see how the old start menu beats this.

On top of that, you retain the ability to just search by name (windows key, then start typing) or to re-arrange & add shortcuts. I really don't see the down side. It's a lot easier than navigating all these start menus.

I'm starting to think that most of the complaints i'm hearing are people trying to be 'in' by echoing anything negative they hear about windows 8.

I've had a pretty positive experience over all. Especially that it recognizes my monitors and hard ware out of the box (better driver support) vs all kinds of windows 7 oddities, and that it boots faster/feels smoother.

If you haven't tried it yet but are feeling negative about it, I'd suggest giving it a try. I don't see how a reasonable person could just completely write off windows 8. I'm not going to be trashing my Windows 7 disks just yet, but for $40 I'd definitely consider the upgrade edition. However, because I run win7 already, I would not pay anywhere close to full retail price.
m
l
September 6, 2012 8:02:20 AM

I don't agree with "sticking with Windows 7" as some people have said here.

If everyone else had adopted the attitude of sticking with what's good, we'd still be using Windows 2000!

I applaud Microsoft for trying to innovate, but must add that they're not good at being innovative - simple! They should have stuck to what they do best, and delivered us and Operating System that was faster, just as pretty as Windows 7, and offered us more features. What they've done is tried their best to take good ideas, stitch them together and dump a pile of crap on the shelves and tried to sell it.

New = better. As far as I'm concerned anyway, as long as the "new" is GOOD.
m
l
September 6, 2012 12:23:29 PM

graemevermeulen said:

If everyone else had adopted the attitude of sticking with what's good, we'd still be using Windows 2000!

An absurd comment IMHO. When an O/S does what the user requires of it, then there is no point in changing. None.

XP met all my requirements for near 10 years. If 7 meets those requirements for a similar period, there will be no change here.

Change needs to have a compelling reason behind it, no reason, no change.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:09:40 PM

mahatmacoat said:
An absurd comment IMHO. When an O/S does what the user requires of it, then there is no point in changing. None.

XP met all my requirements for near 10 years. If 7 meets those requirements for a similar period, there will be no change here.

Exactly! I'm not paying money for an inferior product i.e. Windows ME and Vista.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:19:58 PM

You guys fall for trolling way too easy, lol.
m
l
September 7, 2012 2:42:43 AM

I don't find it depressing but don't like the UI regardless. Just find it slightly irritating, especially the new start menu.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 7, 2012 3:57:15 PM

graemevermeulen said:

I applaud Microsoft for trying to innovate, but must add that they're not good at being innovative - simple! They should have stuck to what they do best, and delivered us and Operating System that was faster, just as pretty as Windows 7, and offered us more features. What they've done is tried their best to take good ideas, stitch them together and dump a pile of crap on the shelves and tried to sell it.

New = better. As far as I'm concerned anyway, as long as the "new" is GOOD.

mahatmacoat said:

If Win7 was as bad as Vista i myself would have stuck with XP. XP is still by far one of the best OS's and there is a fair amount of people who are still using it. Although an OS doesn't make me depressed, its making me quite disappointed with Win8. For one thing it is not necessary to upgrade or buy a new OS every couple of years when your current OS works fine. Microsoft knows this which is why Windows 8 exists. While a touch screen would be nice i don't find it necessary to upgrade my monitor, especially since i just bought a 40" TV so i can watch videos off my computer on a bigger screen. Windows 8 is the future of computers, by itself the OS is too restrictive but in itself people want ease of control.

While the touchscreen is nice for those who use their PC on a big screen which requires a cordless mouse/keyboard to have the best experience, that may be replaced by tablets forcing users to buy a $250 setup instead of a $20-70 keyboard/mouse system.

This is just my take on whats to come. Chances are we'd still be using the keyboard/mouse in 50 years. I'm all for the touch screen but for now the keyboard/mouse thing works fine for me and Win8 doesn't have the experience i want with it nor the functionality. So im sticking with Windows 7 because it does what i want it to. Heck, i'd even use it 20 years from now long after Microsoft stops support for it, won't be using the internet much with it & chances are Win7 would no longer handle the internet in 20-30 years as so much would change.
m
l
September 7, 2012 7:40:48 PM

PC users (or at least the most vocal ones that tend to cast the image of the rest of us) tend to be very finicky. They will willingly shell out hundreds of dollars for new hardware, but will lambaste anyone who thinks of spending a couple hundred max on an OS. I have had the beta on my laptop since early in the year (around February) and a couple months ago did so as well on my desktop. The interface works fine with a keyboard and mouse, so I have no idea what people are doing that they can't use it without a touch interface. The transition rom the new Start screen to the desktop is so quick that you don't have to interact with the majority of the new interface at all if you don't want to. All you programs can still be placed on the desktop or taskbar if you want, and you can remove the tiles you don't want if you do go back to the Start screen. Any "hate" for the Start menu itself being gone seems to me to mostly be about not wanting change and not wanting to take a couple minutes to learn to do something a little different.

The interface is not what I'd call beautiful, and not as "beautiful" as 7, but it's far from the repulsive reaction many seem to label it. I like the tiles. they are simple and clean looking. I would prefer a transparent glass effect like Win7 Aero, but this isn't something I would reject an OS over. The added utilities, particularly with Task Manager, are awesome. And the performance gains are very nice.

Now, if you feel like your current OS is sufficient, that's great. I encourage people in fact not to waste money on something that doesn't actually bring them any benefits. But what annoys me to no end with the hate for Win8 is the assertion that it is somehow a failed, horrible, product that will kill the PC industry and is an aberration of everything about computing. I think people look at the new features that are added and think "well I absolutely have to use all of them, but I don't want to so it's a complete waste". If you don't like the touch thing, then fine, they're planning on the Kinect as an interface tool as well. Don't want that? They haven't in any way removed the ability to use a regular mouse and keyboard.

I don't think it's unreasonable to question MSFT's ideas and direction. I don't think it's unreasonable for people to have some reservations. But most of what I have seen is irrational and unreasonable nit-picking on relatively minor flaws as if MSFT is saying you have absolutely no choice but to buy Win8. I don't think it's right to be so closed minded. You can have healthy skepticism without a lot of the vitriol that is out there.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 7, 2012 8:46:31 PM

Well said DRosencraft. I agree completely. People hate change in any form and will resist as much as they possibly can. I don't understand why they can't at least make an attempt to try things differently. They might find it really does work better. In Windows 8's case, I think things like the new start menu do work better, and are a welcome change from how it was set up before. Spewing FUD and hate for a product just to sound cool needs to stop. People should not reduce themselves to that level.
m
l
September 7, 2012 8:54:12 PM

Not all hate change. I certainly don't mind if its required and there is an actual point. There is no point to 8. Its senseless.
m
l
!