Price: Dell vs Costco's Dell

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
April 4, 2005 12:04:15 PM

I am considering buying a Dell 4700 desk top. Is dell computers much cheaper
if bought through costco or would it be best to just go through dell. thank
you in advance for any comments and advice.

Thanks
Robert

More about : price dell costco dell

April 4, 2005 12:21:06 PM

Compare for yourself.
I think directly through Dell would be cheaper.
Just use sites like www.techbargains.com and
www.dealcatcher.com to keep up with all
the latest specials.

Dave
April 4, 2005 3:18:13 PM

if you are looking to purchase a Dell, be sure to purchase it from the Dell
outlet. You can find a great 4700 desktop at very low prices. I just
purchased a Dell 3000 from the outlet and the PC is great. It is a P4 2.8,
80gig hdd, 512 ram, DVD, CDRW, plus more all for $300.00.

"Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net> wrote in message
> I am considering buying a Dell 4700 desk top. Is dell computers much
cheaper
> if bought through costco or would it be best to just go through dell.
thank
> you in advance for any comments and advice.
>
> Thanks
> Robert

April 4, 2005 10:26:07 PM

if you purchase from costco you get to take it home with you rather than
wait for it to be built and arrive in the mail. costco has extremely
generous return policies; the last i checked they even offer their six month
return policy on their computers, check what the deal is now to be sure, but
whatever it is it is likely better than what dell offers. the costco dell
is preconfigured with software and hardware of their choice. if it is what
you want then it is a good deal, but if you don't want the software,
speakers, monitor, or whatever is in the costco bundle then you are paying
for things that you don't want or need making it a waste. you can price out
a complete dell 4700 for well under $1,000 delivered at dell... the costco
bundles i have seen have things like a three years warranty included (which
alone can add $300 to the price) and software which i personally find
useless and would not want to pay for. like everything at costco, it is
only a bargain if it is what you want.

"Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net> wrote in message
>I am considering buying a Dell 4700 desk top. Is dell computers much
>cheaper
> if bought through costco or would it be best to just go through dell.
> thank
> you in advance for any comments and advice.
>
> Thanks
> Robert

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 11:00:04 PM

I've never seen Dell computers available on the shelves in a Costco store. I
thought they were only offered online at costco.com?

> if you purchase from costco you get to take it home with you rather than
> wait for it to be built and arrive in the mail.
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 8:55:01 AM

good point... i think you are right about that, thanks for correcting me.
dells were sold off the shelf in price club stores years ago, but now you
have to order them at least in my home state. and the configuration are
rich as i mentioned above... making them unattractive to me, but a good
value for someone that wants all the bells and whistles.

"testortool" <mbillings@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I've never seen Dell computers available on the shelves in a Costco store.
> I thought they were only offered online at costco.com?
>
> "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>> if you purchase from costco you get to take it home with you rather than
>> wait for it to be built and arrive in the mail.

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:54:42 AM

>testortool wrote:

> I've never seen Dell computers available on the shelves in a Costco
store. I
> thought they were only offered online at costco.com?

FWIW, Dell's are now available online at Sam's Club.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:18:34 PM

powrwrap wrote:
>>testortool wrote:
>

>>I've never seen Dell computers available on the shelves in a Costco
>
> store. I
>
>>thought they were only offered online at costco.com?
>

> FWIW, Dell's are now available online at Sam's Club.

Ain't worth much!!! :)

Just for the heck of it I went to samsclub.com to see what they offered.
I saw they had a computer very similar to one I purchased late last
year---Dimension 8400. It was configured pretty closely with a few
exceptions...1 gig of ram instead of 512 meg (mine is 533 mhz, Sam's is
400 mhz), XP Pro instead of MCE 2005 (although MCE is based on Pro), MS
Office and a 19" LCD monitor. Sam's has dual optical drives, I have one
drive (CD/DVD burner). Same HD, same video card. Same processor.

Their cost is right at $1000 more (after tax) than what I paid (after
tax). I don't see $1000 in differences in the 2 systems.

Tom S.
Houston, TX
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 10:40:16 PM

what about the video card, bundeled software, and warranty...

"Tom Simchak" <not.today@thankyou.org> wrote in message
> powrwrap wrote:
>>>testortool wrote:
>>

>>>I've never seen Dell computers available on the shelves in a Costco
>>
>> store. I
>>
>>>thought they were only offered online at costco.com?
>>

>> FWIW, Dell's are now available online at Sam's Club.
>>

> Ain't worth much!!! :)
>
> Just for the heck of it I went to samsclub.com to see what they offered. I
> saw they had a computer very similar to one I purchased late last
> year---Dimension 8400. It was configured pretty closely with a few
> exceptions...1 gig of ram instead of 512 meg (mine is 533 mhz, Sam's is
> 400 mhz), XP Pro instead of MCE 2005 (although MCE is based on Pro), MS
> Office and a 19" LCD monitor. Sam's has dual optical drives, I have one
> drive (CD/DVD burner). Same HD, same video card. Same processor.
>
> Their cost is right at $1000 more (after tax) than what I paid (after
> tax). I don't see $1000 in differences in the 2 systems.
>
> Tom S.
> Houston, TX
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 6:48:20 AM

It depends whether or not Costco has any promotions going on? I just got a
fully loaded XPS Gen4 through Costco which came out to be close to $700
cheaper then the identically configured system directly from Dell. By the
way, the system was bought online and was delivered approximately 5 days
later from Dell not Costco! The promotion Costco has was an instant $500
off coupon.

!