Installing service pack 2 screws up my mouse

I have Windows XP (Pro) and am getting an infuriating mouse problem when I
upgrade to SP2.

When SP2 is installed my mouse sensitivity seems to drop, *especially* in
the diagonal top left to bottom right movement. For example, if I try to
draw a small circle freehand using the mouse, there would be no problems
until doing the 9 O'clock to 6 O'clock portion. Here's a picture to
demonstrate what I mean (exaggerated to make my point!):
http://freespace.virgin.net/audio.files/circle.gif Basically, overall
accuracy drops after installing SP2.

I have tried removing the mouse drivers, uninstalling the device and then
rebooting Windows, and the latest version of the MS Intellipoint software
but to no avail.

I can't seem to find an answer on the MS site, and the only way to get my
mouse back to normal is to uninstall SP2.

Mouse is a genuine MS Wheelmouse optical (USB).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?

Mike.

So are you saying you have installed IntelliPoint 5.2 from the following
web site?
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/DownloadResult.aspx?prod=m_wmo10&os=xp&lang=en&driverVersion=IntelliPoint%205.2

Also, I would check your System Information.
Expand the trees and see if anything looks questionable.
Go to Start > Run and type
msinfo32
Click OK

--
Michael

"~mike~" <management.account@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have Windows XP (Pro) and am getting an infuriating mouse problem when I
>upgrade to SP2.
>
> When SP2 is installed my mouse sensitivity seems to drop, *especially* in
> the diagonal top left to bottom right movement. For example, if I try to
> draw a small circle freehand using the mouse, there would be no problems
> until doing the 9 O'clock to 6 O'clock portion. Here's a picture to
> demonstrate what I mean (exaggerated to make my point!):
> http://freespace.virgin.net/audio.files/circle.gif Basically, overall
> accuracy drops after installing SP2.
>
> I have tried removing the mouse drivers, uninstalling the device and then
> rebooting Windows, and the latest version of the MS Intellipoint software
> but to no avail.
>
> I can't seem to find an answer on the MS site, and the only way to get my
> mouse back to normal is to uninstall SP2.
>
> Mouse is a genuine MS Wheelmouse optical (USB).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be?
>
> Mike.

"~mike~" <management.account@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I can't seem to find an answer on the MS site, and the only way to get my
> mouse back to normal is to uninstall SP2.
>
> Mouse is a genuine MS Wheel House optical (USB).

You may want to try a different USB port.

If still no joy, I would close all programs - including your ISP connection,
antispyware, firewall and antivirus applications and see if you see the same
symptoms.

I am also curious if you see the same problem in Safe Mode (pressing F8 a
few times while booting.)

--
Michael

"Michael T" <anonymous@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> "~mike~" <management.account@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I can't seem to find an answer on the MS site, and the only way to get my
>> mouse back to normal is to uninstall SP2.
>>
>> Mouse is a genuine MS Wheel House optical (USB).
>>

> You may want to try a different USB port.
>
> If still no joy, I would close all programs - including your ISP
> connection, antispyware, firewall and antivirus applications and see if
> you see the same symptoms.
>
> I am also curious if you see the same problem in Safe Mode (pressing F8 a
> few times while booting.)
>
> --
> Michael

Thanks for the reply Michael. I'll try your suggestions when I get home
from work.

Mike.

Mike

Splendid

my mouse is one of the only things sp2 didn't screw up