DCOM Error Event Number 10000

Hi,

I've had a problem now for a while with my broadband disconnecting.
My phoneline checks normal.
My ASDL line checks normal.
My drivers are up to date....blah blah blah...

In the system events viewer I get an error... DCOM... Event Number 10000,
Unable to start a DCOM server {FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541} The
error:
''The system cannot find the path specified''
Happened when starting this command:
''C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe'' - Embedding

Ok, so this is obviously refering to Windows Messenger, rather than MSN
Messenger.

I read a lot of articles about msmsgs.exe could possibly be a virus, so I
deleted the whole thing... the whole folder.

So my questions are this....

1) Am I getting this error because my connection dropped OR is it causing
the connection to drop or neither?

2) I uninstalled this, so I thought and removed any folders, files etc....
How can I prevent this command being called in the future?

Thanks in advance
1 answer Last reply
More about dcom error event number 10000

    Hi

    Please see if the following link helps:

    http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=10000&source=dcom

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Beecus" <beecus@btiREMOVEnternet.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had a problem now for a while with my broadband disconnecting.
    > My phoneline checks normal.
    > My ASDL line checks normal.
    > My drivers are up to date....blah blah blah...
    >
    > In the system events viewer I get an error... DCOM... Event Number 10000,
    > Unable to start a DCOM server {FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541} The
    > error:
    > ''The system cannot find the path specified''
    > Happened when starting this command:
    > ''C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe'' - Embedding
    >

    > Ok, so this is obviously refering to Windows Messenger, rather than MSN
    > Messenger.
    >
    > I read a lot of articles about msmsgs.exe could possibly be a virus, so I
    > deleted the whole thing... the whole folder.
    >
    > So my questions are this....
    >
    > 1) Am I getting this error because my connection dropped OR is it causing
    > the connection to drop or neither?
    >
    > 2) I uninstalled this, so I thought and removed any folders, files etc....
    > How can I prevent this command being called in the future?
    >
    > Thanks in advance

Windows XP