New from Windows Explorer Right Click Menu No Longer Funct..

Hi

Something has happened to my installation of WinXP Pro. The Windows Explorer
Right Click Menu has the selection "New" from which (among other things) I
could chose to create a new folder.

Now when I right click and move to the "New" selection there is a dialog box
the flickers on several times and then goes away and that's it. Nothing
else. The dialog box goes away so fast it is hard to read but I THINK is
says something about "Preparing to install".

I have never seen this problem before and haven't a clue how to fix it.

Where in the registry is the stuff that controls what appears under the
"New" selection? Perhaps it is corrupt in some way.

I sure hope someone can help me, this is a bummer.

Thanks, Frederick C.Wilt

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers

Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23QOCQx3dFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Frederick C. Wilt <fcwilt@mindspring.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi
>
> Something has happened to my installation of WinXP Pro. The Windows
> Explorer Right Click Menu has the selection "New" from which (among other
> things) I could chose to create a new folder.
>
> Now when I right click and move to the "New" selection there is a dialog
> box the flickers on several times and then goes away and that's it.
> Nothing else. The dialog box goes away so fast it is hard to read but I
> THINK is says something about "Preparing to install".
>
> I have never seen this problem before and haven't a clue how to fix it.
>
> Where in the registry is the stuff that controls what appears under the
> "New" selection? Perhaps it is corrupt in some way.
>
> I sure hope someone can help me, this is a bummer.
>
> Thanks, Frederick C.Wilt

Hi

Thank you for the information. It led me to a tool that allowed me to see
the extensions installed and enable/disable them (but you probably new
that). I found the extension that was causing the problem. It was installed
by one of those automatic update features the certain apps have but the
update did not complete because it asked for the original CD which I did not
have. It seems that every time I was trying to access the "New" item this
extension was active and trying to finish the update (or something like
that).

All is good now (except for the disabled extension).

Thanks VERY much!

Regards, Frederick C. Wilt

> Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm
>
> Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23QOCQx3dFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Frederick C. Wilt <fcwilt@mindspring.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi
>>
>> Something has happened to my installation of WinXP Pro. The Windows
>> Explorer Right Click Menu has the selection "New" from which (among other
>> things) I could chose to create a new folder.
>>
>> Now when I right click and move to the "New" selection there is a dialog
>> box the flickers on several times and then goes away and that's it.
>> Nothing else. The dialog box goes away so fast it is hard to read but I
>> THINK is says something about "Preparing to install".
>>
>> I have never seen this problem before and haven't a clue how to fix it.
>>
>> Where in the registry is the stuff that controls what appears under the
>> "New" selection? Perhaps it is corrupt in some way.
>>
>> I sure hope someone can help me, this is a bummer.
>>
>> Thanks, Frederick C.Wilt

Glad to hear it, Frederick. Keep having fun. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User