Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

"Restoration incomplete - Your computer cannot be restored..

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 8:31:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have tried to run System Restore in XP but I get this error message:
Restoration incomplete
Your computer cannot be restored to
(the DATE I chose)
System Checkpoint
No changes have been made to your computer
To choose another restore point, restart System Restore"

I tried choosing another restore date, but I get the same error message. I
will appreciate advice.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:51:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Robert,

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.

System Restore Failures to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html


Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/


Robert Judge wrote:
> I have tried to run System Restore in XP but I get this
> error message: Restoration incomplete
> Your computer cannot be restored to
> (the DATE I chose)
> System Checkpoint
> No changes have been made to your computer
> To choose another restore point, restart System Restore"
>
> I tried choosing another restore date, but I get the same
> error message. I will appreciate advice.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 11:51:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Bert:
Here is the information from "srservice" below. There is no listing for "sr"
Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 111
Date: 6/22/2005
Time: 7:18:53 PM
User: N/A
Computer: D5NN2B71
Description:
A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed. No changes have
been made to the system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I will appreciate your advice.

Yours,
Robert Judge
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.
>
> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> Click on System in the left pane.
> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
> the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
> the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
> information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
> two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
>
> System Restore Failures to restore:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>
>
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
>
> Robert Judge wrote:
> > I have tried to run System Restore in XP but I get this
> > error message: Restoration incomplete
> > Your computer cannot be restored to
> > (the DATE I chose)
> > System Checkpoint
> > No changes have been made to your computer
> > To choose another restore point, restart System Restore"
> >
> > I tried choosing another restore date, but I get the same
> > error message. I will appreciate advice.
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 2:21:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Robert,

If virus and malware scanning came up clean, then unfortunately,
purging all the restore points would be the fix.
How to Disable and Enable System Restore
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/disablesr.html

Here are some tips on keeping System Restore Healthy and hopefully
keep the restore points from becoming corrupted in the future.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/healthy.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/

Robert Judge wrote:
> Bert:
> Here is the information from "srservice" below. There is
> no listing for "sr" Event Type: Information
> Event Source: SRService
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 111
> Date: 6/22/2005
> Time: 7:18:53 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: D5NN2B71
> Description:
> A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point
> failed. No changes have been made to the system.
>
> For more information, see Help and Support Center at
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>
> I will appreciate your advice.
>
> Yours,
> Robert Judge
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in
>> Windows XP.
>>
>> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
>> Click on System in the left pane.
>> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source
>> name column in the right pane to sort by source name,
>> look for "sr" and "srservice". Double click on each of
>> these events, then click on the button below the two
>> arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the
>> event information to the clipboard. Paste the
>> information for each of the two event here. This will
>> help us in diagnosing the problem.
>>
>> System Restore Failures to restore:
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>>
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>>
>> Robert Judge wrote:
>>> I have tried to run System Restore in XP but I get this
>>> error message: Restoration incomplete
>>> Your computer cannot be restored to
>>> (the DATE I chose)
>>> System Checkpoint
>>> No changes have been made to your computer
>>> To choose another restore point, restart System Restore"
>>>
>>> I tried choosing another restore date, but I get the
>>> same error message. I will appreciate advice.
June 3, 2009 2:55:18 PM

Quote:
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have tried to run System Restore in XP but I get this error message:
Restoration incomplete
Your computer cannot be restored to
(the DATE I chose)
System Checkpoint
No changes have been made to your computer
To choose another restore point, restart System Restore"

I tried choosing another restore date, but I get the same error message. I
will appreciate advice.




Hello -

If you really need to restore quickly, try booting into safe mode.
Restart your PC, hold the F8 key or which ever key is required on your PC.
Select Safe mode and try to restore while in safe mode.
The only down side to this is the potential for malware/spyware/viruses to find there way into the System restore volume if they have not been detected yet, or at least that was my understanding of it.

If anyone else can add to this, please do.

December 17, 2009 6:42:32 AM

(Resurrecting this thread because this page is the first to appear in a Google search on this issue.)

If you use a Symantec (Norton) anti-virus / security application, it will prevent System Restore from functioning properly.

The problem is caused by the anti-virus software preventing any other application (in this case, System Restore) from making any changes to its files. When System Restore is unable to change the files in order to restore the system to its previous state, it aborts the process, reboots the system, and generates the "restoration incomplete" error.

In this case, the solution is to disable the "Norton Product Tamper Protection" option in the anti-virus program's settings. (Simply turning off the anti-virus protection is not sufficient.) If you wish, the tamper protection option can be reactivated after the system restore is complete.

This issue is detailed at the following page (which will attempt to print itself):
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfd...

I have been struggling with this problem for awhile, and only just discovered today the above solution, which finally worked for me.

--DavidGC
December 17, 2009 5:49:16 PM

thanx guys gr8 help for me
Anonymous
December 31, 2009 8:33:05 AM

I got this error.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: sr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 12/31/2009
Time: 4:13:17 PM
User: N/A
Computer: 3D5CE195B535452
Description:
The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000001' while processing the file '' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 06 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........



Quote:
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Robert,

Here are some troubleshooting tips for System Restore in Windows XP.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.

System Restore Failures to restore:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html


Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://dts-l.org/


Robert Judge wrote:
> I have tried to run System Restore in XP but I get this
> error message: Restoration incomplete
> Your computer cannot be restored to
> (the DATE I chose)
> System Checkpoint
> No changes have been made to your computer
> To choose another restore point, restart System Restore"
>
> I tried choosing another restore date, but I get the same
> error message. I will appreciate advice.

June 10, 2011 3:17:35 AM

David, great post.
that worked like a charm. I was trying to restore desktop settings removed by a virus and the symantec was stopping the system restore from completing successfully.

Thanks a lot.



DavidGC said:
(Resurrecting this thread because this page is the first to appear in a Google search on this issue.)

If you use a Symantec (Norton) anti-virus / security application, it will prevent System Restore from functioning properly.

The problem is caused by the anti-virus software preventing any other application (in this case, System Restore) from making any changes to its files. When System Restore is unable to change the files in order to restore the system to its previous state, it aborts the process, reboots the system, and generates the "restoration incomplete" error.

In this case, the solution is to disable the "Norton Product Tamper Protection" option in the anti-virus program's settings. (Simply turning off the anti-virus protection is not sufficient.) If you wish, the tamper protection option can be reactivated after the system restore is complete.

This issue is detailed at the following page (which will attempt to print itself):
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfd...

I have been struggling with this problem for awhile, and only just discovered today the above solution, which finally worked for me.

--DavidGC

June 23, 2011 9:14:14 AM

Event Type: Error
Event Source: sr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 23.06.2011
Time: 09:59:40
User: N/A
Computer: MIHAJLO
Description:
The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000001' while processing the file '' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume1'. It has stopped monitoring the volume.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 06 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
June 23, 2011 9:14:53 AM

Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 111
Date: 23.06.2011
Time: 11:07:14
User: N/A
Computer: MIHAJLO
Description:
A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed. No changes have been made to the system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
June 23, 2011 9:15:16 AM

Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 111
Date: 23.06.2011
Time: 10:37:44
User: N/A
Computer: MIHAJLO
Description:
A restoration to "System Checkpoint" restore point failed. No changes have been made to the system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
August 18, 2011 6:19:09 PM

Hello everyone, im new here and fairly new to computers( i know i know it's the 21st century!). I've been having the same trouble as everyone else here. I've tried a restore from safe mode, tried it with norton anti tamper thing disabled. None of this worked. I made a test checkpoint which did work but none of my other checkpoints work. The reason im trying to system restore is my netbook has started freezing and resetting very,very regularly. i've tried all the usual methods to fix this which don't work leaving me with the system restore option. Anyway here is the info you have asked other people for. If you can help me at all i would be much appreciative. By the way i think its great that there are people here willing to take the time to help the less knowledgeable of us. Hat's off to you all!
Event Type: Information
Event Source: SRService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 111
Date: 18/08/2011
Time: 17:57:49
User: N/A
Computer: WILLY
Description:
A restoration to "Software Distribution Service 3.0" restore point failed. No changes have been made to the system.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Also this happens to be on that same page an awful lot. It mabey has nothing to do with the problem whatsoever but here it is anyway in case.
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: ACPIEC
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3
Date: 18/08/2011
Time: 17:58:31
User: N/A
Computer: WILLY
Description:
\Device\ACPIEC: The embedded controller (EC) hardware returned data when none was requested. This may indicate that the BIOS is incorectly trying to access the EC without syncronizing with the OS. The data is being ignored.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 68 00 01 00 be 00 ..h...¾.
0008: 00 00 00 00 03 00 05 80 .......€
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0028: 99 9e 36 00 20 00 08 00 ™ž6. ...
0030: 10 09 1d 00 60 00 04 00 ....`...
0038: 50 00 ff 03 70 00 05 00 P.ÿ.p...
0040: 10 08 0b 00 80 00 05 00 ....€...
0048: 10 08 08 00 22 00 08 00 ...."...
0050: 12 09 1d 00 62 00 04 00 ....b...
0058: 52 00 99 02 72 00 94 00 R.™.r.”.
0060: 12 2a 0a 00 82 00 1d 01 .*..‚...
0068: a2 09 b0 03 12 2a 14 00 ¢.°..*..
0070: 32 84 06 00 10 28 0a 00 2„...(..
0078: 22 27 08 00 12 29 1e 00 "'...)..
0080: 62 00 03 00 52 00 86 03 b...R.†.
0088: 72 00 04 00 12 2a 0b 00 r....*..
October 15, 2011 10:20:47 PM

DavidGC said:
(Resurrecting this thread because this page is the first to appear in a Google search on this issue.)

If you use a Symantec (Norton) anti-virus / security application, it will prevent System Restore from functioning properly.

The problem is caused by the anti-virus software preventing any other application (in this case, System Restore) from making any changes to its files. When System Restore is unable to change the files in order to restore the system to its previous state, it aborts the process, reboots the system, and generates the "restoration incomplete" error.

In this case, the solution is to disable the "Norton Product Tamper Protection" option in the anti-virus program's settings. (Simply turning off the anti-virus protection is not sufficient.) If you wish, the tamper protection option can be reactivated after the system restore is complete.

This issue is detailed at the following page (which will attempt to print itself):
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/pfd...

I have been struggling with this problem for awhile, and only just discovered today the above solution, which finally worked for me.

--DavidGC


Hi David,

Thanks for the link and information. I had the same issue (with multiple restore points):
<blah>
Event Source: SRService
Event ID: 111
Date: 2011-10-15
Description:
"A restoration to "Before YETANOTHER whole slew of security updates" restore point failed. No changes have been made to the system."
</blah>

BUT NO NORTON !! (or so I thought :whistle:  )

My System Restore space allocation is ~ 0.5 GB. (I had adjusted it a few months back while researching this issue for another pc and found your post - Thanks!)

I UN-installed Norton 360 in July this year (it uninstalled successfully- or so it said!). I now have AVG (free version installed) so cannot run NORTON to turn off the Tamper Protection, as instructed!
However, on checking the registry, I notice that there were still Norton entries as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Norton\{56173B10-912C-4921-9AA2-3D4039DA1785}\Identifiers\MID : with a value

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Norton\(default /no value only)

Not wanting to update the Registry :eek2:  without some more knowledgeable advice I did some more digging and found the following useful article:

"How the $#@$# do I fully remove Norton from my PC?"
http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_fully_remove_norton...

Anyway, I backed up the Registry - using the *Norton Tool* he (Dave Taylor) suggests (How kind of Symantec to provide this, I thought! :sarcastic:  )

I followed the steps and deleted some left over Norton directories & text files - but found NONE of the Registry Key entries he mentions; System Restore still did not work after reboot.

So I thought "what the hell" and deleted the two Norton Registry entries I HAD found - mentioned above! (the second one was empty but I deleted it anyway).

And System Restore finally worked -
I was able to restore my laptop to the "pre-SLEW" Restore Point!!! - YIPPEEE!!

But then I thought, WHOA!! Yes - this is essentially a "*Reverse* Catch 22" situation! (still 22!)

In order to get System Restore to go back to a restore point, I had to delete the Norton cr*p from the Registry.
THEN I just restored the stuff I deleted!!
So back I go into RegEdit and I had the great joy of deleting the little Norton bugger all over again!! :lol: 

Everything is fine now!! So, Thanks to Dave Taylor, also!

Just goes to show that Norton "ANTI-"VIRUS is a bit of a misnomer!
Ciao

JayD


October 17, 2011 12:08:42 AM

While you're at it, these are two more Symantec entries that had values and that I removed (after making ANOTHER Registry backup):

(Norton Removal Tool expiration registry key ) :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SymNRT\LTM
and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Symantec\AntiSpam\Client_Plugins\Outlook

JayD
October 17, 2011 12:21:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!