Air flow direction for Pacman cocktail fan?

Last response: in Video Games
August 24, 2005 7:02:31 AM

Can anyone tell me if the fan on the bottom is normally designed to exhaust
warm air, or to force cooler air into the cabinet?

The original fax was broken and didn't have any air flow direction
indicators that I could find.

Thanks,

Frank
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 7:02:32 AM

It is suppose to exhaust warm air from the cabinet and from in front of the
board.

Brian

"F. J. Townsend, III" <ftownsen@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me if the fan on the bottom is normally designed to
> exhaust warm air, or to force cooler air into the cabinet?
>
> The original fax was broken and didn't have any air flow direction
> indicators that I could find.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank

Anonymous
August 24, 2005 6:31:17 PM

If the air is drawn into the machine so is the dirt and dust.
And because the fan is under the machine it would be ten times worse.
You would be shoveling the dirt out :-)
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:32:04 PM

I wonder how this is decided from an engineering point of view.

It would make equally good sense to me to use the fan to pressurize the
cabinet, pulling in cool air from underneath the cabinet and allowing the
warm air to be pushed out from gaps and grills in the upper parts of the
case. This would also more closely match the pattern of flow in the cabinet
caused by the tendency of cooler air to sink to the bottom of the cabinet
pushing warmer air upward and out.

PC cases usually have exhaust fans (negative pressure) while I have been
told that other computers use a positive pressure setup./ Is it arbitrary
or are there other considerations?

news:p MydnS0xMtijmZHeRVn-og@comcast.com...

!