Ati Radeon TV Display

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Basically I have a regular ATI Radeon 9800pro (Not All in Wonder)which has the option to connect to monitor and TV at the same time.

I am thinking of connecting it to the TV, so that I can watch movies on a bigger screen, but was wondering if it is going to slow down my computer during:

1.Regular stuff like Web browsing?
2.During games?

Also I read that once connected you can turn-off the TV display with the ATI software, so is it a viable option to keep it on all the time, except maybe when playing games?

Are they any other reasons why I should not do it, like if it might permanently mess with my primary monitor resolution?

Thanks

Ps. Everybody who doesn't have any experience with connecting TV's but with connecting 2 monitors, also feel free to help out :)

I don't even believe in JEBUS!
Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

sturm

Splendid
I have the 256 meg 9800pro which has the 2-video out which i am assuming you have also. I hook mine up to the tv (55in widescreen) to watch movies and maybe show off a game or two. Movies are just fine visually but the normal desktop, especially text is very poor. Youll be better to just use your normal monitor for web and games and just use the tv for movies.
When I switch the tv monitor on it does change my primary display resolution to a widescreen setting which looks very weird on a standard monitor. As long as the monitor can display that resolution you wont hurt it at all. Its just a little different playing games like that.
No it wont slow your computer down at all. unless your trying to play a movie and a game at the same time.

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks a lot sturm,

Yeah, I actually have a 125 meg 9800pro, but I believe they are a compatible. I just tried the set-up and it works great, but I still have hard time believing that it doesn't lower my FPS during games, since shouldn't the card perform at least some extra work to display picture on the second display?

Also, my picture, once widows loads does look a bit different but nothing too bad, however the BIOS picture + Windows Loading look very weird? It is a VERY MINOR annoyance and I will definitely keep the set-up permanently if it doesn't slow down games, but are there any ways to fix it. (Disabling temporary Tv-Output doesn't seem to work)

I don't even believe in JEBUS!
Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!