I am running XP Pro and when I attempt to run update manually, I get the
following error message.
[Thank you for your interest in Windows Update

Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
most out of your computer.

You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
Windows Update.]

Any idea what is wrong and what can be done to repair this problem?

Try update from microsoft home page.You might also open internet options,
settings,view objects,R.click on update,update.

"Mark in FL" wrote:

> I am running XP Pro and when I attempt to run update manually, I get the
> following error message.
> [Thank you for your interest in Windows Update
>
> Windows Update is the online extension of Windows that helps you get the
> most out of your computer.
>
> You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to use
> Windows Update.]
>
> Any idea what is wrong and what can be done to repair this problem?

Hi Mark,

This has to do with third-party firewall / Proxy servers. If you're using
Norton Internet Security / Personal Firewall, see this page for the
solution.

Error: "You must be running a Microsoft Windows operating system in order to
use Windows Update":
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/pfdocs/2002100402324636?Open

For Sygate Firewall, use this configuration, posted by someone earlier:

<quote>

So, I opened Sygate, went to tool/options/security and found that "enable
stealth mode browsing" was checked. I unchecked it, enabled Sygate and
disabled XP firewall and the rest is history. I'm able to use the windows
update (IE - tools/windows update).

</quote>

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP