screen display problems

i have recently reformatted my windows xp and now my screen whenever
scrolling moves like it is loading. it jumps lines and a time with like a
ripple effect. i know before reformatting my screen resolution was 1152 and
now that option is not even there. does that have anything to do with the
scrolling thing. its really annoying and slows down scrolling and moving in
windows. please help.

Could be 1 of 2 things:

Most importantly, have you installed your video card driver?
Although it usually doesn't make too much difference, some monitors (more
specifically LCDs) have their own device driver to be installed, which can
aid in setting the resolution and frequency, as sometimes Windows does not
pick up what resolutions and frequencies the monitor can support. I am
assuming that you're using windows xp here..

There is an option under display properties --> Settings (tab) --> Advanced
(button on settings section), and then hit the monitor tab. The option is
called "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" this is a checkbox..

Give that a whirl, but ensure that you have installed your video card driver