WG 6100 problem.

Hi all!

My Gravitar monitor went out on the second day of the CA Extreme show a
couple of weeks back, and I'm now starting to try to get it back working. I
know a few folks were disappointed that they didn't get to play this game on
Sunday at the show...sorry about that, but we all know how finicky these XY
monitors can be sometimes...I've actually rebuilt this monitor with Bob
Roberts kit and it has the LV2000 installed as well so I thought I'd be
pretty safe, but I guess nothing is guaranteed in life, eh?:). Well...maybe
death and taxes...

Anyway, the spot killer is on and neck glow is there, and I think I hear the
deflection chatter? But absolutely no picture, even when I turn the
brightness up all of the way...not even the center dot.

I found that R920 in the High voltage cage was fried so I replaced
that...still nothing. BTW, is the red light on the high voltage board
supposed to be "on" or "off?" Also, what is the voltage that is supposed to
be going to the HV cage?

Now here's the odd thing:

One of the chassis deflection transistors was giving me a continuity "beep"
on my meter so I replaced it. Before re-powering up the monitor, I checked
the continuity with this new transistor and it was absent (no beep). Then
when I powered the monitor up...now I'm getting continuity with the chassis
again for this transistor only:(. None of the other chassis transistors
give continuity with the chassis.

I'm still a little green on testing the chassis transistors themselves (to
see if they're blown or good)...I've read the XY FAQ, but it still escapes
me a bit...I'll have to reread it and try again...anyone able to explain
this process clearly?:)

Any ideas on the continuity problem I'm having or other ideas out there?

Jon

Make sure that when you check the chassis transistors that the molex
connectors are unplugged from the deflection board. The case of the
large transistors should not have any connection with the metal. If you
have a closed circuit between a transistor and case you need to replace
the mica, plastic insulator and make sure the screws and pins are
centered before tightening them. If you have a transistor shorting it
might hold down the picture and not blow a fuse.

Update:

I tried some swapping over the weekend. I put in a known working deflection
board, and still nothing. Then I put in a known working HV cage (after
returning the non-working deflection board), still nothing (spot killer on,
no picture at all). So I think that it is my deflection board that has the
problem...

What I have also discovered is that the 3792 chassis transistors are all
registering low voltages (about 11 DCV). The 3716 transistors are fine (30
DCV). The low voltages were present even with the working HV cage
installed. Also, the 3792s are brand new and are not continuous with the
chassis when removed from the circuit. I also checked almost all of the
resistors (probably about 90% of 'em), and they all checked out fine.

Could one or more of the transistors (mounted to the 4 heat sinks) on the
deflection board be my problem? Or maybe a diode? Again, I recently used
the Bob Roberts kit to rebuild this monitor (about a year ago).

Any help/ideas are of course appreciated:).

Jon

"jkoolpe" <jkoolpe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all!
>
> My Gravitar monitor went out on the second day of the CA Extreme show a
> couple of weeks back, and I'm now starting to try to get it back working.
> know a few folks were disappointed that they didn't get to play this game
on
> Sunday at the show...sorry about that, but we all know how finicky these
XY
> monitors can be sometimes...I've actually rebuilt this monitor with Bob
> Roberts kit and it has the LV2000 installed as well so I thought I'd be
> pretty safe, but I guess nothing is guaranteed in life, eh?:).
Well...maybe
> death and taxes...
>
> Anyway, the spot killer is on and neck glow is there, and I think I hear
the
> deflection chatter? But absolutely no picture, even when I turn the
> brightness up all of the way...not even the center dot.
>
> I found that R920 in the High voltage cage was fried so I replaced
> that...still nothing. BTW, is the red light on the high voltage board
> supposed to be "on" or "off?" Also, what is the voltage that is supposed
> be going to the HV cage?
>
> Now here's the odd thing:
>
> One of the chassis deflection transistors was giving me a continuity
"beep"
> on my meter so I replaced it. Before re-powering up the monitor, I
checked
> the continuity with this new transistor and it was absent (no beep). Then
> when I powered the monitor up...now I'm getting continuity with the
chassis
> again for this transistor only:(. None of the other chassis transistors
> give continuity with the chassis.
>
> I'm still a little green on testing the chassis transistors themselves (to
> see if they're blown or good)...I've read the XY FAQ, but it still escapes
> me a bit...I'll have to reread it and try again...anyone able to explain
> this process clearly?:)
>
> Any ideas on the continuity problem I'm having or other ideas out there?
>
> Jon

Had a similar issue, ended up being the sockets the chassis mounted
transistors were plugged into. I guess they get old and sometimes the
transistor does not get a good connection. Check them all.
~eric

TRENDING THREADS