Sign in with
Your question
Closed

China Censors World of Warcraft; Blood to Oil

Last response: in News comments
August 7, 2009 9:11:16 PM

So they kill an internet addict and now censor WoW for blood and skeletons.
Can China go one week without f'ing up?
Score
August 7, 2009 9:16:11 PM

WHY???? Why would they do that? That's just plain stupid.
quote]The change stemmed from a controversial subway advertisement featuring undead characters from World of Warcraft that supposedly scared children[/quote]
Total BS.
Score
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 7, 2009 9:16:17 PM

So im guessing that Kel'Thuzad is looking like a baby girl?
Score
August 7, 2009 9:19:29 PM

I hate china.
Score
August 7, 2009 9:22:08 PM

try not to say things like "china effed up." its their government, not the people.
Score
August 7, 2009 9:24:55 PM

good thing I live in the Netherlands where the government doesn't have shit on things like this. The pirate bay owned that stupid BREIN organisation by keeping TPB up and running under the flag of no longer being the owners of TPB :)  Screw those commies in china leading it into submission...
Score
August 7, 2009 9:25:39 PM

They are not censoring games such as Doom 3 or some other games with explicit display of skulls body parts. The cosmetic change is probably only ostensible reason. What commies are really doing is to put MMORPG under their surveillance for the real sensitive information exchange.
Score
August 7, 2009 9:27:25 PM

Chinese gov't nerfed blizzard hard!
Score
August 7, 2009 9:33:35 PM

So what was an MMO without 5 million Gold sellers like?
Score
August 7, 2009 9:34:52 PM

The government should BE the people. Sadly this is not true in China's case.
Score
August 7, 2009 9:39:31 PM

oh man, china would shit their pants @ dead space xD
Score
August 7, 2009 9:41:18 PM

I really do feel sorry for the citizens of China. Soon they won't be able to do anything.
Score
August 7, 2009 9:45:56 PM

one again confirming that china is a crazy backward communist censoring land, only rivaled by apple HQ cept for the communist part(still investigating).
Score
August 7, 2009 9:52:07 PM

duckmanx88try not to say things like "china effed up." its their government, not the people.

of course we meant their government, its not like any of the billion people over there have a say in what their government does.
Score
August 7, 2009 10:33:38 PM

God bless the United States of America. The land of the Free.
Score
August 7, 2009 10:43:25 PM

bk420God bless the United States of America. The land of the Free.
And home of Apple?
Score
August 7, 2009 11:13:41 PM

I have to say, as a US citizen living and working in China for over a year, some comments made by idiots who have never stepped foot out of their own country (muchless state!) and make completely idiotic and groundless remarks really bothers me.

But situations like this, and being an avid WoW player, I find completely laughable! Godbless US servers ! It is mindbending to me how their government can be hipictritical (spellcheck) to the next level! (and no, they did not ding)
Score
August 7, 2009 11:34:13 PM

kami3kAnd yet people blame Americans for the government, oh the fucking hypocrisy.

Well we *do* actually vote them in, so in theory they have a point.

No one really votes in Communist leadership.
Score
August 8, 2009 12:24:10 AM

Its just mind-bottling
Score
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 8, 2009 12:26:45 AM

Why not sell it as R rated then? (21 years of age)?

The kids who love the game will ask their older brother to buy it, or an older friend.
Score
August 8, 2009 1:48:00 AM

stupid little chinese .
Score
August 8, 2009 3:18:14 AM

^ +1
Score
August 8, 2009 8:45:18 PM

Biggest Hypocrisy at work
Score
August 8, 2009 11:41:52 PM

You know what I haven't had in a while.. Big league chew
Score
August 8, 2009 11:42:13 PM

You know what I haven't had in a while.. Big league chew
Score
August 9, 2009 1:33:31 AM

bk420God bless the United States of America. The land of the Free.

First sentence. Good. Last sentence. Untruthful.

At least with our current government.
Score
August 9, 2009 7:48:22 AM

the_one111First sentence. Good. Last sentence. Untruthful.At least with our current government.

yup, stop paying taxes on the land that you own free and clear and see how long you're "freedom" lasts. :-p
Score
August 9, 2009 11:37:09 PM

I thing they are at least haveing a go at sencoring the internet and games that children play which is more then what the rest of the world is doing.I say good on them if they dont want bad western values infecting there way of life
I personaly play all those games but then I am not under the age of ten years
the kids now days are being desensatized at a younger age to violence,gore and the realizm that you see on the TV and at the MOVIES they can turn off there emotions and grief then what they do and learn from the games they start to use in real life
But then with our free rights serciety how are we to control our childrens upbringing we can not while we have the internet and media uncencored
Gazz
Score
August 9, 2009 11:43:57 PM

duckmanx88try not to say things like "china effed up." its their government, not the people.

well, it is kinda their ppl, but not their ppls fault.
what i'm saying is, you try and keep 1.3 billion mostly very poor ppl from anarchy and see if you come out looking like the dalai lama. see if you can go one day without a single one of 1.3 billion of them causing a news worthy effup.

we could say the same thing about the U.S. "oh look, another shooting, whats wrong with them." but its just statistically more likely to happen there, even if for no other reason than 300 million people, many with guns.
Score
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2009 1:30:57 PM

@GAZZOO- they don't want bad western values? Let me just explain how much of a hypocrite you are. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3wEMLifs7Q&feature=rela... So the local chinese can make lifelike games about killing Japanese people and it is okay but a fantasy game can't even show some little things. How about you preach to the Chinese about this first before you start chiming in about how it is Americans fault. I will tell you what the real issue, China is trying all it can to nudge out foreign business in order to promote Chinese products but they do it under the notion that "it is for the health of the kids" when it is all about money and power and promoting local products.
Score
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
August 10, 2009 2:13:11 PM

China’s whole philosophy is about productivity of it citizens. That is the type of government that they have.

If people are calling out from work and generally not producing as much, because of a game…….

Why are you people surprised at this? Their people are lucky they can even play video games in the first place.
Score
August 10, 2009 2:43:17 PM

There's blood in WoW? lol Age of Conan, now there's some blood!

:D 
Score
August 10, 2009 5:29:16 PM

Nanny State seen quietly taking notes..
Score
August 10, 2009 5:44:14 PM

China is so rediculous.
Score
August 10, 2009 7:25:09 PM

spanspaceChina is so rediculous.

I suppose they're ritarded too?
Score
August 10, 2009 9:33:47 PM

v1zeI suppose they're ritarded too?

Thankfully i'm not the only person who is growing ever more annoyed with the expanding number of people who seem incapable of spelling "ridiculous" properly.

I did lul at the "ritarded" comment though, good stuff.
Score
August 11, 2009 12:56:40 AM

yeah, I'm sick of people spelling mum 'mom' as well.

I'm sick of people so pompously defending what is possibly THE WORST standard ever 'developed'
Score
August 11, 2009 2:40:46 AM

There's blood in world of warcraft? ( so i guess the ability "mark of blood" will be renamed, "mark of cool boxes")

Then the pile of bones on the floor? i'm not so sure how chinese culture works and all but Mexico has people dancing in the streets and hanging skulls and skeletons on their "day of the dead" festival.)

More than a decency censorship, i really think that "speech" censorship is what they really want to monitor
Score
August 11, 2009 10:58:02 AM

It looks like new picture has much lower detail resolution than older one (fingers, leg, shoulder armor), Does'nt Wow client change even derbis model (skulls must have more polygons)?
Score
August 11, 2009 4:38:32 PM

Matt87_50yeah, I'm sick of people spelling mum 'mom' as well. I'm sick of people so pompously defending what is possibly THE WORST standard ever 'developed'

I take it you spell mother, "muther", right? lol
Score
August 12, 2009 7:59:46 AM

demonhorde665actually our vote doesnt mean shit really , we vote yet our votes get tallied up at he house of representitives . who then do the actual voting "supposably" these representives are suppsoed to throw what ever way thier stats votes (us) voting , but there ios no law sayign tehy ahve to vote teh way thier state voted so in theory they can vote what ever the hell they want to vote and we don't really have any say. who's to say our hosue reps are really going teh way we want them to.

1. i assume you were talking about presidential elections... in which case the house of representatives does NOT vote for our president, however, the Electoral College does. while our votes do not directly decide the president, they DO decide how the electors from our state will vote *while this is not law, they've never voted against their state; and one would assume that after a couple hundred years of honesty we can trust them*

2. i for one feel that we have a lot of influence on how our representatives vote... i mean, after all we DO elect them directly, so without our support they have absolutely no chance at another term in office

3. YOU JUST GOT LEARNED
Score
!