Reinstalling XP on what partition without losing files?

Hi,

I am trying to work out how to reinstall XP without losing my files I was
working on over the last fortnight since my last save. Windows could not
start because a driver was missing or malfunctioning, so I tried a repair
(without success), so I tried to start reinstalling XP afresh. I got to where
I decide on which partition to use, and I had 2 options:

E: Partition 1 Inactive OS/2 Boot Man 2055MB 1279MB Free (IF I clicked on
that it said I cannot install XP on this partition unless I go back, delete
it then select the resultung unpartitioned space). It said Setup could then
ctreate a new partition on which you can install Windows.

OR

C: partition 2 HDD NTFS 26561MB 17743MB free (IF I clicked on that itsaid if
I choose to install XP there it already has anotehr operatign system and so
may function improperly.) See www.microsoft.com/windows/multiboot.asp

Can anyone advise which option to go with and whether either wll leave me
with my old files?

Thanks heaps,

--
Darren
Australia

    Darren, go with the C: partition installation. What you are doing is a
    parallel install. Once the second WinXP install is completed you can remove
    the first one.
    "Darren" <darrenc228@hotmail.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to work out how to reinstall XP without losing my files I was
    > working on over the last fortnight since my last save. Windows could not
    > start because a driver was missing or malfunctioning, so I tried a repair
    > (without success), so I tried to start reinstalling XP afresh. I got to
    > where
    > I decide on which partition to use, and I had 2 options:
    >
    > E: Partition 1 Inactive OS/2 Boot Man 2055MB 1279MB Free (IF I clicked on
    > that it said I cannot install XP on this partition unless I go back,
    > delete
    > it then select the resultung unpartitioned space). It said Setup could
    > then
    > ctreate a new partition on which you can install Windows.
    >
    > OR
    >
    > C: partition 2 HDD NTFS 26561MB 17743MB free (IF I clicked on that itsaid
    > if
    > I choose to install XP there it already has anotehr operatign system and
    > so
    > may function improperly.) See www.microsoft.com/windows/multiboot.asp
    >
    > Can anyone advise which option to go with and whether either wll leave me
    > with my old files?
    >
    > Thanks heaps,
    >

    > --
    > Darren
    > Australia
    > darrenc228@hotmail.com(PlsDonotspam)

    Hi. I wonder if this is an option for me too. I have some problems with XP
    that i identified that i cant install avg antivirus because it says it s
    already installed, but cant uninstall it because its already beeen
    uninstalled. there are still references to it in the registry that i cant
    remove. I also notice that my pc just isnt as fast as it was.

    I really believe i have registry problems. So should i give this a try - a
    parallel install, or am i better of just biting the bullet, formatting c: and
    reinstalling. My biggest concern with that would be reactivating windows,
    including the time it was loaded when i bought the pc, it would be 3rd time
    xp is installed on my pc.

    I also need to install a larger d: drive, and thought I might slot in
    another 512mb ram too, bringing me to 1gb of ram. is this better done after i
    have reinstalled windows, or makes no difference?

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Darren, go with the C: partition installation. What you are doing is a
    > parallel install. Once the second WinXP install is completed you can remove
    > the first one.
    > "Darren" <darrenc228@hotmail.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am trying to work out how to reinstall XP without losing my files I was
    > > working on over the last fortnight since my last save. Windows could not
    > > start because a driver was missing or malfunctioning, so I tried a repair
    > > (without success), so I tried to start reinstalling XP afresh. I got to
    > > where
    > > I decide on which partition to use, and I had 2 options:
    > >
    > > E: Partition 1 Inactive OS/2 Boot Man 2055MB 1279MB Free (IF I clicked on
    > > that it said I cannot install XP on this partition unless I go back,
    > > delete
    > > it then select the resultung unpartitioned space). It said Setup could
    > > then
    > > ctreate a new partition on which you can install Windows.
    > >
    > > OR
    > >
    > > C: partition 2 HDD NTFS 26561MB 17743MB free (IF I clicked on that itsaid
    > > if
    > > I choose to install XP there it already has anotehr operatign system and
    > > so
    > > may function improperly.) See www.microsoft.com/windows/multiboot.asp
    > >
    > > Can anyone advise which option to go with and whether either wll leave me
    > > with my old files?
    > >
    > > Thanks heaps,
    > >

    > > --
    > > Darren