Reinstalling XP on what partition without losing files?

June 23, 2005 8:32:03 AM

Hi,

I am trying to work out how to reinstall XP without losing my files I was
working on over the last fortnight since my last save. Windows could not
start because a driver was missing or malfunctioning, so I tried a repair
(without success), so I tried to start reinstalling XP afresh. I got to where
I decide on which partition to use, and I had 2 options:

E: Partition 1 Inactive OS/2 Boot Man 2055MB 1279MB Free (IF I clicked on
that it said I cannot install XP on this partition unless I go back, delete
it then select the resultung unpartitioned space). It said Setup could then
ctreate a new partition on which you can install Windows.

OR

C: partition 2 HDD NTFS 26561MB 17743MB free (IF I clicked on that itsaid if
I choose to install XP there it already has anotehr operatign system and so
may function improperly.) See www.microsoft.com/windows/multiboot.asp

Can anyone advise which option to go with and whether either wll leave me
with my old files?

Thanks heaps,

--
Darren
Australia

Darren, go with the C: partition installation. What you are doing is a
parallel install. Once the second WinXP install is completed you can remove
the first one.
"Darren" <darrenc228@hotmail.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to work out how to reinstall XP without losing my files I was
> working on over the last fortnight since my last save. Windows could not
> start because a driver was missing or malfunctioning, so I tried a repair
> (without success), so I tried to start reinstalling XP afresh. I got to
> where
> I decide on which partition to use, and I had 2 options:
>
> E: Partition 1 Inactive OS/2 Boot Man 2055MB 1279MB Free (IF I clicked on
> that it said I cannot install XP on this partition unless I go back,
> delete
> it then select the resultung unpartitioned space). It said Setup could
> then
> ctreate a new partition on which you can install Windows.
>
> OR
>
> C: partition 2 HDD NTFS 26561MB 17743MB free (IF I clicked on that itsaid
> if
> I choose to install XP there it already has anotehr operatign system and
> so
> may function improperly.) See www.microsoft.com/windows/multiboot.asp
>
> Can anyone advise which option to go with and whether either wll leave me
> with my old files?
>
> Thanks heaps,
>

> --
> Darren
> Australia
> darrenc228@hotmail.com(PlsDonotspam)
June 24, 2005 4:50:02 AM

Hi. I wonder if this is an option for me too. I have some problems with XP
that i identified that i cant install avg antivirus because it says it s
already installed, but cant uninstall it because its already beeen
uninstalled. there are still references to it in the registry that i cant
remove. I also notice that my pc just isnt as fast as it was.

I really believe i have registry problems. So should i give this a try - a
parallel install, or am i better of just biting the bullet, formatting c: and
reinstalling. My biggest concern with that would be reactivating windows,
including the time it was loaded when i bought the pc, it would be 3rd time
xp is installed on my pc.

I also need to install a larger d: drive, and thought I might slot in
another 512mb ram too, bringing me to 1gb of ram. is this better done after i
have reinstalled windows, or makes no difference?

!