GAUCHO

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004

My original OEM installation cd for Windows XP Home was damaged. I took the
opportunity to have the system upgrsded to XPProfessional SP2. This was done
in a local computer store in Spain, where I am currently staying. Since the
upgrade most of my personal files such as Address Book and My Documents
appear to have been wiped clean. The store is of no help at all, is there
anyway this data can be retrieved?
--
Gaucho

Do you know if they upgraded it or wiped it clean and installed XP Pro? I
don't see how you could retrieve it if they wiped it out and then put the new
version on it. I would go look through the following folder to see if you see
you documents:

C:\documents and settings\user account name\my documents

Look and see if you have any folders named with your old account name.
Search through and see if your documents are in there.

Or just search. Search for *.doc Or *. any file extension that may be one
of your old documents. If your old documents don't show up. I don't think
you can retrieve them.

Hope this helps!

"Gaucho" wrote:

> My original OEM installation cd for Windows XP Home was damaged. I took the
> opportunity to have the system upgrsded to XPProfessional SP2. This was done
> in a local computer store in Spain, where I am currently staying. Since the
> upgrade most of my personal files such as Address Book and My Documents
> appear to have been wiped clean. The store is of no help at all, is there
> anyway this data can be retrieved?
> --
> Gaucho

GAUCHO

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2004

Thanks for the suggestions.

It appears they just installed XP professional over XP Home so some files
were deleted. However I have manged to reclaim most of the missing files
using a program called "File Scavenger 3.0". This program is brilliant
although a bit scary when you see how many files, which have been deleted, it
finds, particularly when it found files which had supposedly been destroyed.
--
Gaucho

"Gaucho" wrote:

> My original OEM installation cd for Windows XP Home was damaged. I took the
> opportunity to have the system upgrsded to XPProfessional SP2. This was done
> in a local computer store in Spain, where I am currently staying. Since the
> upgrade most of my personal files such as Address Book and My Documents
> appear to have been wiped clean. The store is of no help at all, is there
> anyway this data can be retrieved?
> --
> Gaucho

Hi

Please see if the following article helps:

"Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are Missing After You
Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313055

--

Will Denny