Windows XP upgrade

My original OEM installation cd for Windows XP Home was damaged. I took the
opportunity to have the system upgrsded to XPProfessional SP2. This was done
in a local computer store in Spain, where I am currently staying. Since the
upgrade most of my personal files such as Address Book and My Documents
appear to have been wiped clean. The store is of no help at all, is there
anyway this data can be retrieved?
--
Gaucho
3 answers Last reply

    Do you know if they upgraded it or wiped it clean and installed XP Pro? I
    don't see how you could retrieve it if they wiped it out and then put the new
    version on it. I would go look through the following folder to see if you see
    you documents:

    C:\documents and settings\user account name\my documents

    Look and see if you have any folders named with your old account name.
    Search through and see if your documents are in there.

    Or just search. Search for *.doc Or *. any file extension that may be one
    of your old documents. If your old documents don't show up. I don't think
    you can retrieve them.

    Hope this helps!

    "Gaucho" wrote:

    > My original OEM installation cd for Windows XP Home was damaged. I took the
    > opportunity to have the system upgrsded to XPProfessional SP2. This was done
    > in a local computer store in Spain, where I am currently staying. Since the
    > upgrade most of my personal files such as Address Book and My Documents
    > appear to have been wiped clean. The store is of no help at all, is there
    > anyway this data can be retrieved?
    > --
    > Gaucho

    Thanks for the suggestions.

    It appears they just installed XP professional over XP Home so some files
    were deleted. However I have manged to reclaim most of the missing files
    using a program called "File Scavenger 3.0". This program is brilliant
    although a bit scary when you see how many files, which have been deleted, it
    finds, particularly when it found files which had supposedly been destroyed.
    --
    Gaucho

    "Gaucho" wrote:

    > My original OEM installation cd for Windows XP Home was damaged. I took the
    > opportunity to have the system upgrsded to XPProfessional SP2. This was done
    > in a local computer store in Spain, where I am currently staying. Since the
    > upgrade most of my personal files such as Address Book and My Documents
    > appear to have been wiped clean. The store is of no help at all, is there
    > anyway this data can be retrieved?
    > --
    > Gaucho

    Hi

    Please see if the following article helps:

    "Mail Folders, Address Book, and E-mail Messages Are Missing After You
    Upgrade to Microsoft Windows XP"
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313055

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Gaucho" <Gaucho@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My original OEM installation cd for Windows XP Home was damaged. I took
    > the
    > opportunity to have the system upgrsded to XPProfessional SP2. This was
    > done
    > in a local computer store in Spain, where I am currently staying. Since
    > the
    > upgrade most of my personal files such as Address Book and My Documents
    > appear to have been wiped clean. The store is of no help at all, is there
    > anyway this data can be retrieved?
    > --
    > Gaucho

Windows XP