Dell has changed it policy on OS disk

FYI

Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating system
is
on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Well after a smooth discussion with
the rep he agreed to send me one. I explained what happens if my Hard drive
crashes
after my warranty has expired. He said, I would have to purchase a new hard
drive from
Dell and it would come with XP on the hidden partition. Yea I could see me
making that
argument 3 years down the road, well you rep told me...........sorry sir he
was wrong and you must
purchase not only a new drive but another copy of XP. Well just call me
paranoid but it all ended well as I will get my disk. It only took 30
minutes to resolve the issue. BTW it could also
have been me saying that it was unacceptable and I will send this machine
back tomorrow.
The moral to this story is, if you don't ask they don't offer.

I hope this may help someone in the future.
209 answers Last reply
More about dell changed policy disk

    BigJIm wrote:

    > FYI
    >
    > Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
    > I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating system
    > is
    > on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Well after a smooth discussion with
    > the rep he agreed to send me one. I explained what happens if my Hard drive
    > crashes
    > after my warranty has expired. He said, I would have to purchase a new hard
    > drive from
    > Dell and it would come with XP on the hidden partition. Yea I could see me
    > making that
    > argument 3 years down the road, well you rep told me...........sorry sir he
    > was wrong and you must
    > purchase not only a new drive but another copy of XP. Well just call me
    > paranoid but it all ended well as I will get my disk. It only took 30
    > minutes to resolve the issue. BTW it could also
    > have been me saying that it was unacceptable and I will send this machine
    > back tomorrow.
    > The moral to this story is, if you don't ask they don't offer.
    >
    > I hope this may help someone in the future.

    Just out of curiosity, what division did you purchase from?

    Notan

    This is forcing you to buy a replacement hard drive from them that will have
    the OS. Isn't this sort of bundling illegal?

    Hard drives are dropping like flies these days. Not having an OS disk at
    the ready is pretty stupid IMO! Your ability to recover fairly quickly is
    gone.

    When you buy a system you're supposed to be buying the rights to use the OS
    as well on that system. Not having the ability to recover from a hard
    drive crash without being forced to buy from them or pay for another copy of
    the OS is a BIG reason to not buy from Dell. Are they giving you a complete
    system restore disk instead?

    Dogface wrote:

    > This is forcing you to buy a replacement hard drive from them that will have
    > the OS. Isn't this sort of bundling illegal?
    >
    > Hard drives are dropping like flies these days. Not having an OS disk at
    > the ready is pretty stupid IMO! Your ability to recover fairly quickly is
    > gone.
    >
    > When you buy a system you're supposed to be buying the rights to use the OS
    > as well on that system. Not having the ability to recover from a hard
    > drive crash without being forced to buy from them or pay for another copy of
    > the OS is a BIG reason to not buy from Dell. Are they giving you a complete
    > system restore disk instead?

    Perhaps there's some way to burn a recovery disk from the HDD (I know
    that's the case with new IBM Thinkpad's). If so, then I'd say the
    policy is relatively fair. From what's been posted prior, it seems to
    bve restrictions set by Microsoft which has caused this situtation. To
    be fair, I understand why MS would rather OEM's ship a "restore disc"
    rather than a full XP copy.

    Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.

    It appears that Dell is, as with the Overseas Tech Support, going to keeping
    "pushing" until it costs them customers(Corporate Customers, that is).

    "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > FYI
    >
    > Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
    > I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating
    > system is
    > on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Well after a smooth discussion
    > with
    > the rep he agreed to send me one. I explained what happens if my Hard
    > drive crashes
    > after my warranty has expired. He said, I would have to purchase a new
    > hard drive from
    > Dell and it would come with XP on the hidden partition. Yea I could see me
    > making that
    > argument 3 years down the road, well you rep told me...........sorry sir
    > he was wrong and you must
    > purchase not only a new drive but another copy of XP. Well just call me
    > paranoid but it all ended well as I will get my disk. It only took 30
    > minutes to resolve the issue. BTW it could also
    > have been me saying that it was unacceptable and I will send this machine
    > back tomorrow.
    > The moral to this story is, if you don't ask they don't offer.
    >
    > I hope this may help someone in the future.

    Irene, HP has been doing that for about 2 years now. That is how my
    niece got her HP Computer.

    "Joan Hansen" <user@my.net> wrote in message
    > Irene, HP has been doing that for about 2 years now. That is how my niece
    > got her HP Computer.

    I agree. As I've posted before, Sony does this as well. It cost roughly
    $20 U.S. (plus shipping) for the restore DVDs for a Vaio I worked on some
    months ago.

    But - it is one more option taken away, and I don't care for it. The last
    Dim8400 I had here 3 weeks ago still had the WinXP Home disc with it. It
    also had the restore partition as well as an option at start/programs/dell
    accessories to 'create a recovery CD'. Gone was the Resource CD, and only
    the MS Office and modem driver discs were included with the operating system
    disc.

    I suspect this is going to generate a lot of phone calls for them for a
    myriad of different reasons, and some of those will be long-time Dell buyers
    who will be considering just sending the thing back. Or
    corruption/destruction of the hard disk image, or of the newbie who's blown
    away all partitions on the drive before inspecting their available discs,
    OR......etc etc etc.

    I want my OS disc and the option to reinstall w/o the bloat.

    Stew

    "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > FYI
    >
    > Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
    > I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating
    > system is
    > on a hidden partition on the hard drive.

    The Small Business division offers the OS with or without the media. Yet
    another reason to pay the tax and buy from the small business division.

    --

    Rob

    I guess the home division, not the business.

    BigJIm wrote:

    > I guess the home division, not the business.

    While the Small Business Division (and higher) has had the
    option of better Support (e.g., Gold Tech Support), I wonder
    if they're also being given similar options as far as supplied
    media goes.

    Notan

    On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:14:48 -0400, BigJIm wrote:

    > Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
    > I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating
    > system is
    > on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Well after a smooth discussion
    > with the rep he agreed to send me one. I explained what happens if my
    > Hard drive crashes
    > after my warranty has expired. He said, I would have to purchase a new
    > hard drive from
    > Dell and it would come with XP on the hidden partition.

    And most vendors are doing this, have been doing this, and will be doing
    this, but I've not seen one that doesn't also include instructions
    (somewhere) on how to backup the partition so that you can recover your
    system. Even the HP units, on page 8X of the manual, state, before using
    the computer please run our program to backup your system disks to CDR.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Well I also purchased a Dell 1100 from the home division just 15 months ago
    and I received all the disks including the OS. BTW I do not think you can
    burn a cd from the hidden partition it is strictly for resorting the main
    partition to it's original form. If the drive goes belly up, you will need
    an OS and Hard drive, if it is out of warranty. In warranty you will get the
    drive with
    the OS installed on the hidden partition. I believe this is a bad business
    move on the part of Dell.
    As I said before, I am satisfied as Dell is sending me a disk with the OS on
    it, but remember I had to call an ask for it. If you are ignorant of the
    fact about the OS disk you could be out of luck down the road. So tell
    anyone you know who is going to purchase a new Dell.

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:52:44 GMT, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.

    OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
    more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
    discs.

    We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
    one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
    are looking at big company stuff.

    We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?

    PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:52:44 GMT, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.
    > >

    > OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
    > more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
    > discs.
    >
    > We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
    > one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
    > are looking at big company stuff.
    >
    > We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?

    Sony? Look elsewhere.

    While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
    is reported to be some of the worst support available.

    In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
    they'll cost you a small fortune.

    Notan

    PeeVee_Hermann <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?

    My R505 Vaio wouldn't boot from a 'normal' CD-Rom, only those supplied
    by Sony, so though you get recovery disks, they install all the Sony
    junk again.

    I'd go with a Dell business system and specifically select the CD.

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:36:16 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

    >PeeVee_Hermann wrote:
    >>
    >> On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:52:44 GMT, "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.
    >> >

    >> OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
    >> more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
    >> discs.
    >>
    >> We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
    >> one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
    >> are looking at big company stuff.
    >>
    >> We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?
    >
    >Sony? Look elsewhere.
    >
    >While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
    >is reported to be some of the worst support available.
    >
    >In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
    >they'll cost you a small fortune.
    >
    >Notan

    OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.

    then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

    PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:36:16 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >
    > >PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

    > >> OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
    > >> more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
    > >> discs.
    > >>
    > >> We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
    > >> one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
    > >> are looking at big company stuff.
    > >>
    > >> We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?
    > >
    > >Sony? Look elsewhere.
    > >
    > >While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
    > >is reported to be some of the worst support available.
    > >
    > >In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
    > >they'll cost you a small fortune.
    > >
    > >Notan
    >
    > OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.
    >
    > then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

    Personally, I've had good experiences with Dell.

    In my opinion, Dell's biggest complaints are in the area of
    Technical Support. If you can, order from their Small Business
    Division (or higher) and opt for the best support you can get.
    (Gold Tech Support, for example, gets you telephone on-hold
    times of, typically, less than two minutes, and US based Techs
    that appear to have a much higher computer education than their
    "standard" Techs.)

    If you have the time, have a look at the semi-recent "Gold Tech
    Support" thread.

    Notan

    The only way to get exactly what you want in a computer is to have one built
    to your exact specifications or build it yourself. Otherwise, be prepared to
    make the same trade-offs in a computer that you make when choosing a
    television or a car or a refrigerator or...

    Ted Zieglar

    "PeeVee_Hermann" <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:36:16 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >
    > >PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

    > >> OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
    > >> more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
    > >> discs.
    > >>
    > >> We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
    > >> one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
    > >> are looking at big company stuff.
    > >>
    > >> We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?
    > >
    > >Sony? Look elsewhere.
    > >
    > >While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
    > >is reported to be some of the worst support available.
    > >
    > >In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
    > >they'll cost you a small fortune.
    > >
    > >Notan
    >

    > OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.
    >
    > then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

    If lack of an OS restore CD with driver CD(!) is reason not to buy a Dell, then
    it is good reason also to not buy HP, eMachines, Gateway, and on and on. Over
    the last couple years, this has been the trend to save a few pennies and cut
    costs to compete. They're all doing it. The only recourse is to ring them up
    and ask for the media... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:37:52 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    wrote:

    >The only way to get exactly what you want in a computer is to have one built
    >to your exact specifications or build it yourself. Otherwise, be prepared to
    >make the same trade-offs in a computer that you make when choosing a
    >television or a car or a refrigerator or...

    right. I tried that once and wasnt happy with the system they
    delivered. At this point i'm thinking of buying all the parts I want
    and taking them to a builder.

    BigJIm wrote:
    || Well I also purchased a Dell 1100 from the home division just 15
    || months ago and I received all the disks including the OS.

    i purchased a dimension 4600 about 18 months ago and received the OS on cd.
    i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought for my
    girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd. i used the dell support chat to
    request the cd and they told me i should receive it in 5-7 days.

    It's been slight over two years since we purchased our LAST Dell computer.
    Guess we ducked the bullet by a few months.

    > On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:37:52 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >The only way to get exactly what you want in a computer is to have one
    built
    > >to your exact specifications or build it yourself. Otherwise, be prepared
    > >make the same trade-offs in a computer that you make when choosing a
    > >television or a car or a refrigerator or...
    > >

    > right. I tried that once and wasnt happy with the system they
    > delivered. At this point i'm thinking of buying all the parts I want
    > and taking them to a builder.

    Bad approach IMO. Anything wrong will be blamed on YOUR choice of parts.
    I'd do research on what others have built and use that info. There are very
    stable combinations of motherboards, memory and video cards. Put it in a
    nice large case with good ventilation and a big power supply. It'll cost
    you more but you'll have a great system with quality parts and long
    warranties on parts if you buy retail versions.

    Putting all the pieces together is a piece of cake. There is a lot of good
    help in the newsgroups too. Or you can always befriend a computer geek like
    me to do it for you... 8-) You' be amazed what a six pack of beer and
    pizza will get you.

    First---build one

    Second--Have one built to your exact specs

    Then---spend the extra money and buy an IBM.

    "PeeVee_Hermann" <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:36:16 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >
    >>PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

    >>> OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
    >>> more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
    >>> discs.
    >>>
    >>> We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
    >>> one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
    >>> are looking at big company stuff.
    >>>
    >>> We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?
    >>
    >>Sony? Look elsewhere.
    >>
    >>While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
    >>is reported to be some of the worst support available.
    >>
    >>In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
    >>they'll cost you a small fortune.
    >>
    >>Notan
    >

    > OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.
    >
    > then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

    boo! hiss!! buy IBM and support the communist chinese? NEVER!

    "Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.org> wrote:
    > i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought
    > for my girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd.

    Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came with
    the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I wonder why
    yours would be different from mine.

    Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner? I noticed a
    couple registry "run" key values that look like they're intended for
    creating restoration media, but since my D3000 came without a burner (we
    already have one) this would be useless. I'm wondering if that has any
    relevance on whether or not they toss an OS CD in the box.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "dg1261" <dgREMOVE-THIS1261@cs.com> wrote in message

    > "Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.org> wrote:
    >> i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought
    >> for my girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd.
    >
    > Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came with
    > the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I wonder why
    > yours would be different from mine.
    >
    > Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner? I noticed a
    > couple registry "run" key values that look like they're intended for
    > creating restoration media, but since my D3000 came without a burner (we
    > already have one) this would be useless. I'm wondering if that has any
    > relevance on whether or not they toss an OS CD in the box.

    From earlier posts in this thread, it sounds as if the division from which
    the system is purchased is the difference. (home/home office versus small
    business).
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    dg1261 wrote:
    || "Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.org> wrote:
    ||| i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought
    ||| for my girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd.
    || Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came
    || with the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I
    || wonder why yours would be different from mine.
    || Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner?....

    it came with the single-unit cd-rw/dvd.

    i haven't torn into it yet. i drove it over to my gfriend's place today and
    tore the box open only to see what software came with it. i'm going to be
    setting it up tomorrow.

    what i did notice was, in place of an OS installation cd, there was a sheet
    of paper with a graphic of such a cd on it with instructions on how to
    reload the system by clicking on this or that button on the desktop.
    unacceptable. :) i came home and internet chatted with one of their
    outsourced support people who verified my order information and promised
    that i'll receive the OS cd in 5-7 days.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Mine came with a cd burner but to access the hidden partition at boot up
    you must hit Ctrl+F11 that's all I know. If you were really a computer
    hacker I guess
    you could burn that partition but I am not.

    "dg1261" <dgREMOVE-THIS1261@cs.com> wrote in message

    > "Wortenheimer" <worten@heimer.org> wrote:
    >> i received shipment *today* of a dimension 3000 that i bought
    >> for my girlfriend and her kids. no OS on cd.
    >
    > Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it came with
    > the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have the OS CD. I wonder why
    > yours would be different from mine.
    >
    > Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner? I noticed a
    > couple registry "run" key values that look like they're intended for
    > creating restoration media, but since my D3000 came without a burner (we
    > already have one) this would be useless. I'm wondering if that has any
    > relevance on whether or not they toss an OS CD in the box.

  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Hey, support or don't support who you want. If you look, IBM was the third
    choice and it is still best option of what remains after the first two.

    "ZupaDupa" <ZupaDupa@DupaZupa.com> wrote in message
    > boo! hiss!! buy IBM and support the communist chinese? NEVER!
    >
    > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> First---build one
    >>
    >> Second--Have one built to your exact specs
    >>
    >> Then---spend the extra money and buy an IBM.
    >>
    >> "PeeVee_Hermann" <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >> > OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.
    >> >
    >> > then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    come to think of it, aren't all the dell systems made by the commies too?!
    wonder what'll happen to tech support when the commies start lobbing
    missiles into downtown taipei and we start sinking their ships?

    the price of computer geeks will go through the roof! no more free advice,
    cha-ching, cha-ching... as opposed to cha-chang, cha-chang now!

    > Hey, support or don't support who you want. If you look, IBM was the
    third
    > choice and it is still best option of what remains after the first two.
    >

    > "ZupaDupa" <ZupaDupa@DupaZupa.com> wrote in message
    > > boo! hiss!! buy IBM and support the communist chinese? NEVER!
    > >
    > > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> First---build one
    > >>
    > >> Second--Have one built to your exact specs
    > >>
    > >> Then---spend the extra money and buy an IBM.
    > >>
    > >> "PeeVee_Hermann" <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote in message

  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > "dg1261" <dgREMOVE-THIS1261@cs.com> wrote:
    > > Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it
    > > came with the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have
    > > the OS CD. I wonder why yours would be different from mine.
    > >
    > > Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner?
    > > I noticed a couple registry "run" key values that look like they're
    > > intended for creating restoration media, but since my D3000
    > > came without a burner (we already have one) this would be
    > > useless. I'm wondering if that has any relevance on whether
    > > or not they toss an OS CD in the box.

    "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Mine came with a cd burner but to access the hidden partition at
    > boot up you must hit Ctrl+F11 that's all I know. If you were really
    > a computer hacker I guess you could burn that partition but I am not.

    No CD burner on mine, but it does have the Ctrl+F11 hidden restore
    partition. There are a few registry keys I can't identify:

    (HKLM...RunOnce key) "OSCD_Creator" c:\dell\preODM.exe /2
    (HKLM...Run key) "OSCD_Creator" c:\dell\preODM.exe
    (HKLM...Run key) "BuildBU" c:\dell\bldbubg.exe

    I don't see any evidence they do anything at startup, but perhaps they
    silently bail if they don't find a CD burner in this machine? Since yours
    came with a burner, do you have any desktop shortcut or a start menu
    shortcut for the purpose of creating restore CDs?
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    > From earlier posts in this thread, it sounds as if the division from
    > which the system is purchased is the difference. (home/home
    > office versus small business).

    Yeah, I saw those posts, Stew. But according to those, one would think this
    bare-bones D3000/XP-Home computer, ordered from the Home Div., shouldn't
    have had the OS CD included. But it did, so I'm just reaching for ideas as
    to whether I got it per Dell policy, or if it's just 'cause I'm special. <g>
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 23:59:46 -0400, ZupaDupa wrote:

    > Bad approach IMO. Anything wrong will be blamed on YOUR choice of
    > parts. I'd do research on what others have built and use that info.
    > There are very stable combinations of motherboards, memory and video
    > cards. Put it in a nice large case with good ventilation and a big
    > power supply. It'll cost you more but you'll have a great system with
    > quality parts and long warranties on parts if you buy retail versions.

    The problem is that most home users don't have a clue about quality parts
    or even what parts work with each other. Take the P4 for instance, there
    are 4 versions of it, if you don't count the mobile P4's and each of those
    requires a motherboard with specific features. Next there is memory, and
    that requires that you match the motherboard to the memory and to the CPU
    type so that you get the fastest performance. Then video, onboard, AGP,
    AGP of some variant, PCI-Express, etc.... Then video cards, same thing,
    but now you have the differences in OEM and Retail performance, 128 or 256
    meg cards, direct support for Direct X version 9 or 8..... And none of
    this mentions SATA/IDE, 5400/7200/10000, 2mb cache, 8mb cache, 1 year
    warranty or 3 or 5 year warranties.... Oh, what about DDR2 memory in CL4
    or CL3, or boards that support DDR2 at 500 or 800, but then purchasing CL4
    memory for them....

    > Putting all the pieces together is a piece of cake. There is a lot of
    > good help in the newsgroups too. Or you can always befriend a computer
    > geek like me to do it for you... 8-) You' be amazed what a six pack of
    > beer and pizza will get you.

    Yea, this is possible too, but you run the risk of a stand-off in the
    wrong place, a power-supply without enough max power, a flexed
    motherboard, pizza sauce on the memory connectors :) People not
    understanding that the RAID connectors need 2 drives and can't be used for
    single drives (in most controllers).....

    The best bet is to find a mom-and-pop shop, have them quote out a system
    for your specific needs, get the parts list, check it out online, then
    have them build it using OEM software, buy retail boxed CPU's.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    >> "dg1261" <dgREMOVE-THIS1261@cs.com> wrote:
    >> > Worten, I'm working on a D3000 that just came last week, and it
    >> > came with the OS CD--no drivers CD anymore, but it did have
    >> > the OS CD. I wonder why yours would be different from mine.
    >> >
    >> > Just out of curiosity, did your D3000 come with a CD burner?
    >> > I noticed a couple registry "run" key values that look like they're
    >> > intended for creating restoration media, but since my D3000
    >> > came without a burner (we already have one) this would be
    >> > useless. I'm wondering if that has any relevance on whether
    >> > or not they toss an OS CD in the box.
    >
    > "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> Mine came with a cd burner but to access the hidden partition at
    >> boot up you must hit Ctrl+F11 that's all I know. If you were really
    >> a computer hacker I guess you could burn that partition but I am not.
    >
    > No CD burner on mine, but it does have the Ctrl+F11 hidden restore
    > partition. There are a few registry keys I can't identify:
    >
    > (HKLM...RunOnce key) "OSCD_Creator" c:\dell\preODM.exe /2
    > (HKLM...Run key) "OSCD_Creator" c:\dell\preODM.exe
    > (HKLM...Run key) "BuildBU" c:\dell\bldbubg.exe
    >
    > I don't see any evidence they do anything at startup, but perhaps they
    > silently bail if they don't find a CD burner in this machine? Since yours
    > came with a burner, do you have any desktop shortcut or a start menu
    > shortcut for the purpose of creating restore CDs?

    Put in a burner and I bet the 'create restore CD' option magically appears
    on the start menu within a few boots.

    Stew
  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Which name brand systems are NOT made somewhere on the left side of the Pacific
    Rim? (Hint: Dell has system assembly facilities right here in the U S of A.)
    A great many of them are assembled in mainland China. For many years, system
    components (power supplies, CD-ROM drives, video cards, motherboards) have been
    manufactured in mainland China, whether by the factory of a US company or by a
    joint venture or by a 100% Chinese company.

    Anyone who wants a computer without any parts made by "commies" had best get out
    a soldering iron and metal working tools and build his or her own. This is all
    the end result of detente, the crowning achievement of Richard Nixon's otherwise
    flawed presidency. (Nixon is the only US president ever to resign from office,
    which earns the use of the adjective "flawed". No flames about "flawed",
    please.) If he and Henry the K had not opened the doors to trade and
    manufacturing in China, somebody else would have. Globalization has brought
    inexpensive communications and shipping, making it possible for systems and
    parts to be manufactured with cheap labor over there.

    None of this is new. In a past life related to my present one, I sold a lot of
    parts for more proprietary DEC Wintel computers. The parts, many manufactured
    in the mid '90's, were often manufactured in China. DEC was one of the first to
    seize the opportunity to exploit low cost labor.

    The United States and China now have a serious economic co-dependency on one
    another. The good news is that this seems to deter them from rattling swords
    loudly at one another and going to war. The bad news is that the country of
    China has just about zero standards in place to set minimum salaries and working
    conditions. Nevertheless, due to an over-abundant and dirt-poor labor force
    down on the farm and out in the boondocks, Chinese laborers are willing to work
    in sweatshop conditions, which are an improvement over life at home... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 00:30:34 -0400, "ZupaDupa" <ZupaDupa@DupaZupa.com> wrote:

    >come to think of it, aren't all the dell systems made by the commies too?!
    >wonder what'll happen to tech support when the commies start lobbing
    >missiles into downtown taipei and we start sinking their ships?
    >
    >the price of computer geeks will go through the roof! no more free advice,
    >cha-ching, cha-ching... as opposed to cha-chang, cha-chang now!
    >

    >"Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hey, support or don't support who you want. If you look, IBM was the
    >third
    >> choice and it is still best option of what remains after the first two.
    >>

    >> "ZupaDupa" <ZupaDupa@DupaZupa.com> wrote in message
    >> > boo! hiss!! buy IBM and support the communist chinese? NEVER!
    >> >
    >> > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >made
    >we

  36. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    OK,

    Whoever purchased a Dell computer recently, please raise your hand
    (either one will do).

    Sharing is a very civilized thing to do :)

    Bogdan

    PS. Enjoy your system either way!
  37. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    PeeVee_Hermann wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 13:36:16 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
    >
    >>PeeVee_Hermann wrote:

    >>>OK, then what would you suggest? Our old Compaq had the same thing,
    >>>more or less; we didnt get a Windoze disc, we got Factory Restore
    >>>discs.
    >>>
    >>>We are looking for a new computer.... just tired to get a custom made
    >>>one locally and they fuct it all up and it was a disaster, so now we
    >>>are looking at big company stuff.
    >>>
    >>>We looked at sony Vaio.... maybe... what would you suggest?
    >>
    >>Sony? Look elsewhere.
    >>
    >>While they're very cool looking, their after-the-sale support
    >>is reported to be some of the worst support available.
    >>
    >>In addition, if any of their proprietary parts need replacing,
    >>they'll cost you a small fortune.
    >>
    >>Notan
    >
    > OK, noted, and, others have said the same thing.
    >
    > then what would you suggest, if not Dell or Sony?

    I would buy a Dell & bought a Dim 8400 last month.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    ZupaDupa wrote:
    > "PeeVee_Hermann" <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 16:37:52 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>The only way to get exactly what you want in a computer is to have one
    >
    > built
    >
    >>>to your exact specifications or build it yourself. Otherwise, be prepared

    >>>make the same trade-offs in a computer that you make when choosing a
    >>>television or a car or a refrigerator or...
    >>>

    >>right. I tried that once and wasnt happy with the system they
    >>delivered. At this point i'm thinking of buying all the parts I want
    >>and taking them to a builder.
    >

    > Bad approach IMO. Anything wrong will be blamed on YOUR choice of parts.
    > I'd do research on what others have built and use that info. There are very
    > stable combinations of motherboards, memory and video cards. Put it in a
    > nice large case with good ventilation and a big power supply. It'll cost
    > you more but you'll have a great system with quality parts and long
    > warranties on parts if you buy retail versions.
    >
    > Putting all the pieces together is a piece of cake. There is a lot of good
    > help in the newsgroups too. Or you can always befriend a computer geek like
    > me to do it for you... 8-) You' be amazed what a six pack of beer and
    > pizza will get you.

    Be sure to practice safe computing, however. :-D
  39. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Irene wrote:
    > First---build one
    >
    > Second--Have one built to your exact specs
    >
    > Then---spend the extra money and buy an IBM.

    When's the last time you purchased an IBM desktop?
  40. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    ZupaDupa wrote:
    > boo! hiss!! buy IBM and support the communist chinese? NEVER!

    Blame Nixon & his historic 1972 trip.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    BMac wrote:
    > OK,
    >
    > Whoever purchased a Dell computer recently, please raise your hand
    > (either one will do).

    <raises right hand>

    Dim 8400 refurb delivered 03/03/05 (along with a refurb 1704FPV LCD
    monitor).
  42. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    They can't have any worse customer and tech support than a Dell Dimension
    purchased through the Home/Home Office division. >g<
    That is why I listed them as the THIRD option.

    "Sparky Spartacus" <Sparky@spartacus.galaxy.org> wrote in message
    > Irene wrote:
    >> First---build one
    >>
    >> Second--Have one built to your exact specs
    >>
    >> Then---spend the extra money and buy an IBM.
    >
    > When's the last time you purchased an IBM desktop?
  43. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > They can't have any worse customer and tech support than a Dell Dimension
    > purchased through the Home/Home Office division. >g<
    > That is why I listed them as the THIRD option.

    And yet, here you still remain. Such dedication, such passion, such
    commitment to the cause.

    We have to stop meeting like this, Irene. Others will talk.....

    Stew
  44. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    BMac <bmac@yack.wak> wrote:

    >OK,
    >
    >Whoever purchased a Dell computer recently, please raise your hand
    >(either one will do).
    >
    >Sharing is a very civilized thing to do :)
    >
    >Bogdan

    Enough have posted after new purchases since the Dell
    announcement to determine, sort of, that:

    a) the "restore to as shipped factory install configuration"
    partition for reinstalling the OS has been on all of them.

    b) presence or lack of the WinXP OEM reinstall disk was spotty,
    but tending toward presence early on in the changeover and toward
    absence lately.

    c) It seems that the "drivers" CD is gone, in favor of one
    downloading them from Dell.

    d) Productivity suite [currently WordPerfect] and AV [Macafee?
    currently] reinstall CDs are included.

    e) It appears that the autostart script that offers to create an
    OS reinstall CD from the hidden partition of a) upon first
    start-up doesn't run if a CD Drive is not present on the machine.

    f) If you fight hard enough, it would seem you can get an XP
    restore CD, whether at a $10 or whatever PITA charge for Dell
    having to do it or not is still uncertain - not enough info on
    that.

    g) In a 15-minute search of the Dell web jungle yesterday,
    including the forums, I failed to find any information at all on
    any of this - other than the odd, unanswered by Dell, post that
    tended to be saying WTFO? on this topic, just as we are in
    a.s.pc-c.d.

    Fortunately [and knocking on wood madly], I don't expect to be
    getting a new machine for a year or so, when this will have
    played out. Depending on how it has played out, if an OS
    reinstall CD is not available from Dell - or Gateway, or HP/C,
    etc. should they have better pricing - I would be inclined to go
    the OS-less option through the small business site and get my own
    XP. And factor that cost into my price comparisons.
    --
    OJ III
  45. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Don't you get tired of making the same irrational comments. For the several
    dozenth time(not exactly good language),

    WE STILL OWN AND OPERATE THREE(3), read that carefully, THREE(3) DELL
    DIMENSION COMPUTERS.
    Accordingly, I have as much right to be here as you,
    possibly, MORE. Since you spend more harassing people who are having
    problems with their Dell computers and are upset with Dell, than anything
    else.

    > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> They can't have any worse customer and tech support than a Dell Dimension
    >> purchased through the Home/Home Office division. >g<
    >> That is why I listed them as the THIRD option.
    >>

    > And yet, here you still remain. Such dedication, such passion, such
    > commitment to the cause.
    >
    > We have to stop meeting like this, Irene. Others will talk.....
    >

    > Stew

  46. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Don't you get tired of making the same irrational comments."

    I wish you would. Besides, everyone around here knows what you're going to
    say, so if you insist on posting why not just put "like usual" in the body
    and leave it at that?

    Ted Zieglar

    > Don't you get tired of making the same irrational comments. For the
    several
    > dozenth time(not exactly good language),
    >
    > WE STILL OWN AND OPERATE THREE(3), read that carefully, THREE(3) DELL
    > DIMENSION COMPUTERS.
    > Accordingly, I have as much right to be here as you,
    > possibly, MORE. Since you spend more harassing people who are having
    > problems with their Dell computers and are upset with Dell, than anything
    > else.
    >

    > "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> They can't have any worse customer and tech support than a Dell
    Dimension
    > >> purchased through the Home/Home Office division. >g<
    > >> That is why I listed them as the THIRD option.
    > >>

    > > And yet, here you still remain. Such dedication, such passion, such
    > > commitment to the cause.
    > >
    > > We have to stop meeting like this, Irene. Others will talk.....
    > >

    > > Stew

  47. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Don't you get tired of making the same irrational comments. For the
    > several dozenth time(not exactly good language),
    >
    > WE STILL OWN AND OPERATE THREE(3), read that carefully, THREE(3) DELL
    > DIMENSION COMPUTERS.
    > Accordingly, I have as much right to be here as you,
    > possibly, MORE. Since you spend more harassing people who are having
    > problems with their Dell computers and are upset with Dell, than anything
    > else.

    "I love you, Irene."

    Stew
  48. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Yet another reason not to buy a Dell Computer.
    >
    > It appears that Dell is, as with the Overseas Tech Support, going to
    > keeping "pushing" until it costs them customers(Corporate Customers, that
    > is).

    Whine-Whine-Whine....Say Good-Night Irene!
    By the way, Dell has just started a support call center here in the U.S. in
    the building right next to my work.
    Appears they are moving at least some of the support back to the states.

    > "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> FYI
    >>
    >> Just received a Dell 600m and did not get a Windows XP disk. Sooooooooo
    >> I called support and was told this is Dells new policy, the operating
    >> system is
    >> on a hidden partition on the hard drive. Well after a smooth discussion
    >> with
    >> the rep he agreed to send me one. I explained what happens if my Hard
    >> drive crashes
    >> after my warranty has expired. He said, I would have to purchase a new
    >> hard drive from
    >> Dell and it would come with XP on the hidden partition. Yea I could see
    >> me making that
    >> argument 3 years down the road, well you rep told me...........sorry sir
    >> he was wrong and you must
    >> purchase not only a new drive but another copy of XP. Well just call me
    >> paranoid but it all ended well as I will get my disk. It only took 30
    >> minutes to resolve the issue. BTW it could also
    >> have been me saying that it was unacceptable and I will send this machine
    >> back tomorrow.
    >> The moral to this story is, if you don't ask they don't offer.
    >>
    >> I hope this may help someone in the future.

  49. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > ZupaDupa wrote:
    > > "PeeVee_Hermann" <PVnospamapplejack@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > > built

    > >>right. I tried that once and wasnt happy with the system they
    > >>delivered. At this point i'm thinking of buying all the parts I want
    > >>and taking them to a builder.
    > >

    > > Bad approach IMO. Anything wrong will be blamed on YOUR choice of
    parts.
    > > I'd do research on what others have built and use that info. There are
    very
    > > stable combinations of motherboards, memory and video cards. Put it in
    > > nice large case with good ventilation and a big power supply. It'll
    cost
    > > you more but you'll have a great system with quality parts and long
    > > warranties on parts if you buy retail versions.
    > >
    > > Putting all the pieces together is a piece of cake. There is a lot of
    good
    > > help in the newsgroups too. Or you can always befriend a computer geek
    like
    > > me to do it for you... 8-) You' be amazed what a six pack of beer and
    > > pizza will get you.
    >
    > Be sure to practice safe computing, however. :-D

    i always put on a glove before i grab my big mouse... 8-()

Dell Policy Windows XP Hard Drives Computers