Dual Boot XP/XP

hey... this is my situation... im installing a music studio on one
drive and all my other games, pictures, songs, videos, girlfriends
bullshi't on the other... is it possible to just create a DUAL BOOT
so i can just boot to my studio if i want to work on my music and
boot to my PC if i want to do something else... both OS's would be XP
and same OEM code/serial number or whatever.. is this possible? and
how do i do it..?????

You cannot use the same Windows XP license (Product Key)
for a second installation. You'll need to purchase a new
"Full Version" of Windows XP and install it on an empty
drive or partition.

Partition Magic 8
http://www.symantec.com/partitionmagic/

How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306559&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"distortd6" wrote:

| hey... this is my situation... im installing a music studio on one
| drive and all my other games, pictures, songs, videos, girlfriends
| on the other... is it possible to just create a DUAL BOOT
| so i can just boot to my studio if i want to work on my music and
| boot to my PC if i want to do something else... both OS's would be XP
| and same OEM code/serial number or whatever.. is this possible? and
| how do i do it..?????

As John stated "Yes" - Install in separate partitions - at boot will give
option to select which XP to boot. Regarding first post reply - my
understanding is that "license" refers to installation on "one" computer -
any reference to multiple installations on the same "one" computer?

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL

A Windows XP license can only be used once on
one computer. A second installation requires a second
license.

From the EULA:

1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
display and run one copy of the Software on a single
computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other
device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not
be used by more than two (2) processors at any one
time on any single Workstation Computer.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Al Romanosky" wrote:

| As John stated "Yes" - Install in separate partitions - at boot will give
| option to select which XP to boot. Regarding first post reply - my
| understanding is that "license" refers to installation on "one" computer -
| any reference to multiple installations on the same "one" computer?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

distortd6 wrote:
> hey... this is my situation... im installing a music studio on one
> drive and all my other games, pictures, songs, videos, girlfriends
> bullshi't on the other... is it possible to just create a DUAL BOOT
> so i can just boot to my studio if i want to work on my music and
> boot to my PC if i want to do something else... both OS's would be XP
> and same OEM code/serial number or whatever.. is this possible? and
> how do i do it..?????

Yes.

John

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote in message news:eGd7ssCeFHA.540@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> A Windows XP license can only be used once on
> one computer. A second installation requires a second
> license.
>
> From the EULA:
>
> 1.1 Installation and use. You may install, use, access,
> display and run one copy of the Software on a single
> computer, such as a workstation, terminal or other
> device ("Workstation Computer"). The Software may not
> be used by more than two (2) processors at any one
> time on any single Workstation Computer.

Both drives are operated by the same processor (or processor's'
in the event of a dual processor motherboard). I see no reason
why two bootable "partitions" on the same motherboard processor
within the same workstation cannot each contain XP. Can you
provide another reference to substanitiate this opinion?

Thanks,

DM

What would be interesting - will reactivation be required with
"reinstallation"- same machine different partition? What would be the
result if, for instance, Ghost were used to copy partition with XP to second
partition? If reactivation were not required would this "legitimize"
installation? Distortd6 if you decide to give it a go post results

AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL

tweak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

Al Romanosky Wrote:
> What would be interesting - will reactivation be required with
> "reinstallation"- same machine different partition? What would be the
> result if, for instance, Ghost were used to copy partition with XP to
> second
> partition? If reactivation were not required would this "legitimize"
> installation? Distortd6 if you decide to give it a go post results

> AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N.
> Ft.
> Myers, FL

IF you were to install and fresh version of windows and then all you
did was update them and then make a ghost copy of it and then put it on
another hard drive it WILL work. The only thing is that you will half to
manualy tell which ever windows boot is the main one that their is a
second OS on their and i dont know how to do that exactly. i have a
good idea of how to but you can.

--
Tweak