"This Is Not An Invoice"

My recent purchase of a replacement power supply from Dell made for some
amusing paperwork.

Apparently, Dell is dead-set against giving you an invoice. I had the same
situation when I purchased my last computer from Dell. You get lots of
paperwork, but no invoice. I got an Order Confirmation, an Acknowledgement
and ultimately, a Packing Slip. Each one of these documents had "THIS IS NOT
AN INVOICE" stamped on it. Particularly amusing was the Acknowledgement,
which had this line prominently printed in blue:

"Please Review Important Terms & Conditions On the Reverse Side Of This
Invoice"

Oops! Looks like somebody goofed, since just below this sentence, in thick
gray letters, was "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE". And what's that "Invoice Number"
doing in the upper right corner?

If you ask for an invoice, you're told to go to the web site, which strikes
me as peculiar: if Dell will send me an Order Confirmation, an
Acknowledgement and a Packing Slip, surely they could spring for an Invoice?
Anyway, if you look up your invoice number on the web site, you get your
Acknowledgement...which says "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE".

Do you suppose Dell thinks that by not invoicing its customers it can save
on taxes?

Ted Zieglar

you can print an invoice from your order history if you log on to dell.com
and look under your order history. if you placed the parts order on the
phone they may have created a new account number for you which you would
have to add to your on line profile before the order (and invoice) will
appear in your order history.

> My recent purchase of a replacement power supply from Dell made for some
> amusing paperwork.
>
> Apparently, Dell is dead-set against giving you an invoice. I had the same
> situation when I purchased my last computer from Dell. You get lots of
> paperwork, but no invoice. I got an Order Confirmation, an Acknowledgement
> and ultimately, a Packing Slip. Each one of these documents had "THIS IS
> NOT AN INVOICE" stamped on it. Particularly amusing was the
> Acknowledgement, which had this line prominently printed in blue:
>
> "Please Review Important Terms & Conditions On the Reverse Side Of This
> Invoice"
>
> Oops! Looks like somebody goofed, since just below this sentence, in thick
> gray letters, was "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE". And what's that "Invoice
> Number" doing in the upper right corner?
>
> If you ask for an invoice, you're told to go to the web site, which
> strikes me as peculiar: if Dell will send me an Order Confirmation, an
> Acknowledgement and a Packing Slip, surely they could spring for an
> Invoice? Anyway, if you look up your invoice number on the web site, you
> get your Acknowledgement...which says "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE".
>
> Do you suppose Dell thinks that by not invoicing its customers it can save
> on taxes?
>
> Ted Zieglar

BigJim

Well your invoice of proof of purchase could be a cancelled check or you
credit card bill.
I think that would suffice if you had to take Dell to court.
> My recent purchase of a replacement power supply from Dell made for some
> amusing paperwork.
>
> Apparently, Dell is dead-set against giving you an invoice. I had the same
> situation when I purchased my last computer from Dell. You get lots of
> paperwork, but no invoice. I got an Order Confirmation, an Acknowledgement
> and ultimately, a Packing Slip. Each one of these documents had "THIS IS
> NOT AN INVOICE" stamped on it. Particularly amusing was the
> Acknowledgement, which had this line prominently printed in blue:
>
> "Please Review Important Terms & Conditions On the Reverse Side Of This
> Invoice"
>
> Oops! Looks like somebody goofed, since just below this sentence, in thick
> gray letters, was "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE". And what's that "Invoice
> Number" doing in the upper right corner?
>
> If you ask for an invoice, you're told to go to the web site, which
> strikes me as peculiar: if Dell will send me an Order Confirmation, an
> Acknowledgement and a Packing Slip, surely they could spring for an
> Invoice? Anyway, if you look up your invoice number on the web site, you
> get your Acknowledgement...which says "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE".
>
> Do you suppose Dell thinks that by not invoicing its customers it can save
> on taxes?
>
> Ted Zieglar

Oh, I'm not worried about the legalities. I just find it funny that nothing
is an invoice.

Ted Zieglar

"BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Well your invoice of proof of purchase could be a cancelled check or you
> credit card bill.
> I think that would suffice if you had to take Dell to court.
> > My recent purchase of a replacement power supply from Dell made for some
> > amusing paperwork.
> >
> > Apparently, Dell is dead-set against giving you an invoice. I had the
same
> > situation when I purchased my last computer from Dell. You get lots of
> > paperwork, but no invoice. I got an Order Confirmation, an
Acknowledgement
> > and ultimately, a Packing Slip. Each one of these documents had "THIS IS
> > NOT AN INVOICE" stamped on it. Particularly amusing was the
> > Acknowledgement, which had this line prominently printed in blue:
> >
> > "Please Review Important Terms & Conditions On the Reverse Side Of This
> > Invoice"
> >
> > Oops! Looks like somebody goofed, since just below this sentence, in
thick
> > gray letters, was "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE". And what's that "Invoice
> > Number" doing in the upper right corner?
> >
> > If you ask for an invoice, you're told to go to the web site, which
> > strikes me as peculiar: if Dell will send me an Order Confirmation, an
> > Acknowledgement and a Packing Slip, surely they could spring for an
> > Invoice? Anyway, if you look up your invoice number on the web site, you
> > get your Acknowledgement...which says "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE".
> >
> > Do you suppose Dell thinks that by not invoicing its customers it can
save
> > on taxes?
> >
> > Ted Zieglar

An invoice is a vendor generated list of goods or services, showing prices,
terms, quantities, shipping charges, and other particulars sent to a
purchaser in request for payment (aka Bill).

Can we assume, since the system or parts are paid with another means, an
invoice is not required?

> Oh, I'm not worried about the legalities. I just find it funny that
> nothing
> is an invoice.
>
> Ted Zieglar
>
> "BigJIm" <Jim10277@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Well your invoice of proof of purchase could be a cancelled check or you
>> credit card bill.
>> I think that would suffice if you had to take Dell to court.
>> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> > My recent purchase of a replacement power supply from Dell made for
>> > some
>> > amusing paperwork.
>> >
>> > Apparently, Dell is dead-set against giving you an invoice. I had the
> same
>> > situation when I purchased my last computer from Dell. You get lots of
>> > paperwork, but no invoice. I got an Order Confirmation, an
> Acknowledgement
>> > and ultimately, a Packing Slip. Each one of these documents had "THIS
>> > IS
>> > NOT AN INVOICE" stamped on it. Particularly amusing was the
>> > Acknowledgement, which had this line prominently printed in blue:
>> >
>> > "Please Review Important Terms & Conditions On the Reverse Side Of This
>> > Invoice"
>> >
>> > Oops! Looks like somebody goofed, since just below this sentence, in
> thick
>> > gray letters, was "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE". And what's that "Invoice
>> > Number" doing in the upper right corner?
>> >
>> > If you ask for an invoice, you're told to go to the web site, which
>> > strikes me as peculiar: if Dell will send me an Order Confirmation, an
>> > Acknowledgement and a Packing Slip, surely they could spring for an
>> > Invoice? Anyway, if you look up your invoice number on the web site,
>> > you
>> > get your Acknowledgement...which says "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE".
>> >
>> > Do you suppose Dell thinks that by not invoicing its customers it can
> save
>> > on taxes?
>> >
>> > Ted Zieglar

I don't know if there is a legal or otherwise authoritative definition of
"invoice", but at least one of the documents I got from Dell satisfies the
generally understood meaning of the word. Nonetheless, Dell insists that
it's 'not an invoice'. Even when the document refers to itself as an invoice
and has "Invoice Number" printed in the upper right corner, don't you
believe it, because that same piece of paper has THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE
stamped on it in thick grey letters that I can easily read without my
glasses.

I also have nothing from Dell that proves I paid for the part, like a
receipt. I only know I paid because my credit card got charged.

Ted Zieglar

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> I don't know if there is a legal or otherwise authoritative definition of
> "invoice"

There is. It is the same as the commonly but incorrectly used word
"bill". Dell is telling you that all those papers with monetary amounts
on them are NOT requests for payment.

> I also have nothing from Dell that proves I paid for the part, like a
> receipt. I only know I paid because my credit card got charged.

No, you have even better proof - the part. Dell would not have shipped
it to you if you had not paid for it.

>Oh, I'm not worried about the legalities. I just find it funny that nothing is an invoice.

There is an old business scam where companies mail documents that look a
lot like an invoice to other companies -- that then carelessly pay them.
Years ago it was disreputable facsimile supply companies and Telex
"directories" that did this. If a company is going to mail a document
that looks anything like an invoice, it is very responsible of them to
mark it prominently as NOT a request for payment.

Doug

"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>I don't know if there is a legal or otherwise authoritative definition of
>"invoice", but at least one of the documents I got from Dell satisfies the
>generally understood meaning of the word. Nonetheless, Dell insists that
>it's 'not an invoice'. Even when the document refers to itself as an invoice
>and has "Invoice Number" printed in the upper right corner, don't you
>believe it, because that same piece of paper has THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE
>stamped on it in thick grey letters that I can easily read without my
>glasses.
>
>I also have nothing from Dell that proves I paid for the part, like a
>receipt. I only know I paid because my credit card got charged.

Here is a definition from one of my accounting references:

"Invoice - A document showing the details of a sale or purchase
transaction."

Depending on the applicable laws/business practices in a given
jurisdiction, an invoice may or may not constitute a bill/demand
for payment. I suspect, in this case, Dell is trying to tell
you, with all that THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE stuff, is that you are
not to consider it a boll/demand for payment, since the payment
transaction has already been processed under your previously
agreed upon arrangements when you placed your order, i.e., when
the computer was shipped. It is merely a record of the
transaction, showing among other things date/method of shipment,
for your files on this purchase order.

It does, however, provide the details of what that $nnnn.nn on
your credit card statement bought. Just in case you might have
been wondering. ;->
--
OJ III

> My recent purchase of a replacement power supply from Dell made for some
> amusing paperwork.
>
> Apparently, Dell is dead-set against giving you an invoice. I had the same
> situation when I purchased my last computer from Dell. You get lots of
> paperwork, but no invoice. I got an Order Confirmation, an Acknowledgement
> and ultimately, a Packing Slip. Each one of these documents had "THIS IS
> NOT AN INVOICE" stamped on it. Particularly amusing was the
> Acknowledgement, which had this line prominently printed in blue:
>
> "Please Review Important Terms & Conditions On the Reverse Side Of This
> Invoice"
>
> Oops! Looks like somebody goofed, since just below this sentence, in thick
> gray letters, was "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE". And what's that "Invoice
> Number" doing in the upper right corner?
>
> If you ask for an invoice, you're told to go to the web site, which
> strikes me as peculiar: if Dell will send me an Order Confirmation, an
> Acknowledgement and a Packing Slip, surely they could spring for an
> Invoice? Anyway, if you look up your invoice number on the web site, you
> get your Acknowledgement...which says "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE".
>
> Do you suppose Dell thinks that by not invoicing its customers it can save
> on taxes?
>
> Ted Zieglar

tis a VAT shift and lets them juggle the sales figures. They should eventual
release a FULL invoice. Perhaps also to suit certain sales quarters.

> My recent purchase of a replacement power supply from Dell made for some
> amusing paperwork.
>
> Apparently, Dell is dead-set against giving you an invoice. I had the same
> situation when I purchased my last computer from Dell. You get lots of
> paperwork, but no invoice. I got an Order Confirmation, an Acknowledgement
> and ultimately, a Packing Slip. Each one of these documents had "THIS IS
> NOT AN INVOICE" stamped on it. Particularly amusing was the
> Acknowledgement, which had this line prominently printed in blue:
>
> "Please Review Important Terms & Conditions On the Reverse Side Of This
> Invoice"
>
> Oops! Looks like somebody goofed, since just below this sentence, in thick
> gray letters, was "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE". And what's that "Invoice
> Number" doing in the upper right corner?
>
> If you ask for an invoice, you're told to go to the web site, which
> strikes me as peculiar: if Dell will send me an Order Confirmation, an
> Acknowledgement and a Packing Slip, surely they could spring for an
> Invoice? Anyway, if you look up your invoice number on the web site, you
> get your Acknowledgement...which says "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE".
>
> Do you suppose Dell thinks that by not invoicing its customers it can save
> on taxes?
>
> Ted Zieglar

Very funny. I had to chuckle.

;-)

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:39:32 -0400, in
<4JednVGE1ZIbi8_fRVn-uw@comcast.com>, "Ted Zieglar"
<teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>My recent purchase of a replacement power supply from Dell made for some
>amusing paperwork.
>
>Apparently, Dell is dead-set against giving you an invoice. I had the same
>situation when I purchased my last computer from Dell. You get lots of
>paperwork, but no invoice. I got an Order Confirmation, an Acknowledgement
>and ultimately, a Packing Slip. Each one of these documents had "THIS IS NOT
>AN INVOICE" stamped on it. Particularly amusing was the Acknowledgement,
>which had this line prominently printed in blue:
>
>"Please Review Important Terms & Conditions On the Reverse Side Of This
>Invoice"
>
>Oops! Looks like somebody goofed, since just below this sentence, in thick
>gray letters, was "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE". And what's that "Invoice Number"
>doing in the upper right corner?
>
>If you ask for an invoice, you're told to go to the web site, which strikes
>me as peculiar: if Dell will send me an Order Confirmation, an
>Acknowledgement and a Packing Slip, surely they could spring for an Invoice?
>Anyway, if you look up your invoice number on the web site, you get your
>Acknowledgement...which says "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE".
>
>Do you suppose Dell thinks that by not invoicing its customers it can save
>on taxes?
>
>Ted Zieglar

Not at all. Dell is simply very rigorously observing good
commercial practice.

An invoice is a request for payment that includes an itemized
list of goods or services being billed.

If you pay by check or credit card at the time of the order, you
don't get an invoice.

This is the way things are done all across the USA every day.
Dell just seems a bit more diligent in marking paperwork with
"This is not an invoice." They're probably trying to avoid
double payments from careless accounting departments so they
don't have to issue refunds.

"This is the way things are done all across the USA every day."

I buy lots of stuff on the internet, and I always get an invoice. Dell has
an invoice for me somewhere. I know this, because I have an invoice number.
They're just hiding it from me. Maybe someone scribbled something
embarassing on it.

Ted Zieglar

> "This is the way things are done all across the USA every day."
>
> I buy lots of stuff on the internet, and I always get an invoice. Dell has
> an invoice for me somewhere. I know this, because I have an invoice
> number.
> They're just hiding it from me. Maybe someone scribbled something
> embarassing on it.
>
> Ted Zieglar

Your invoice is written on a Blimpy's napkin in a cubicle someplace :)

Stew

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:36:06 -0400, in
<nLB4e.11113$lu4.13899873@news.sisna.com>, "Ted Zieglar"
<teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:

>I don't know if there is a legal or otherwise authoritative definition of
>"invoice", but at least one of the documents I got from Dell satisfies the
>generally understood meaning of the word. Nonetheless, Dell insists that
>it's 'not an invoice'. Even when the document refers to itself as an invoice
>and has "Invoice Number" printed in the upper right corner, don't you
>believe it, because that same piece of paper has THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE
>stamped on it in thick grey letters that I can easily read without my
>glasses.
>
>I also have nothing from Dell that proves I paid for the part, like a
>receipt. I only know I paid because my credit card got charged.

I bet that NON-INVOICE indicates that payment was taken from your
credit card account. I know the NON-INVOICE for the computer I
bought for my wife two months ago sure does.

Also, there are indeed legal definitions for terms like "invoice"
that apply in commercial practice. An invoice is a request for
payment that includes a detailed itemization of the goods and/or
services for which payment is requested.

You haven't uncovered a conspiracy to avoid taxes, not have you
caught Dell in an embarrassing mistake.

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:01:42 +0000 (UTC), in
<d2ujq5$b73$1@titan.btinternet.com>, "Time Teamer"
<btc@yobtinternet.com> wrote:

>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>> My recent purchase of a replacement power supply from Dell made for some
>> amusing paperwork.
>>
>> Apparently, Dell is dead-set against giving you an invoice. I had the same
>> situation when I purchased my last computer from Dell. You get lots of
>> paperwork, but no invoice. I got an Order Confirmation, an Acknowledgement
>> and ultimately, a Packing Slip. Each one of these documents had "THIS IS
>> NOT AN INVOICE" stamped on it. Particularly amusing was the
>> Acknowledgement, which had this line prominently printed in blue:
>>
>> "Please Review Important Terms & Conditions On the Reverse Side Of This
>> Invoice"
>>
>> Oops! Looks like somebody goofed, since just below this sentence, in thick
>> gray letters, was "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE". And what's that "Invoice
>> Number" doing in the upper right corner?
>>
>> If you ask for an invoice, you're told to go to the web site, which
>> strikes me as peculiar: if Dell will send me an Order Confirmation, an
>> Acknowledgement and a Packing Slip, surely they could spring for an
>> Invoice? Anyway, if you look up your invoice number on the web site, you
>> get your Acknowledgement...which says "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE".
>>
>> Do you suppose Dell thinks that by not invoicing its customers it can save
>> on taxes?
>>
>> Ted Zieglar
>>

>tis a VAT shift and lets them juggle the sales figures. They should eventual
>release a FULL invoice. Perhaps also to suit certain sales quarters.

Bollocks!

Thank goodness at least somebody understands that the point of my post was
to bring a smile.

Ted Zieglar

> Thank goodness at least somebody understands that the point of my post was
> to bring a smile.
>
> Ted Zieglar

I fully understood the intent, Ted. Sometimes good humor is wasted around
here....

Stew

Jim Higgins wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:01:42 +0000 (UTC), in
> <d2ujq5$b73$1@titan.btinternet.com>, "Time Teamer"
> <btc@yobtinternet.com> wrote:
>

>>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>My recent purchase of a replacement power supply from Dell made for some
>>>amusing paperwork.
>>>
>>>Apparently, Dell is dead-set against giving you an invoice. I had the same
>>>situation when I purchased my last computer from Dell. You get lots of
>>>paperwork, but no invoice. I got an Order Confirmation, an Acknowledgement
>>>and ultimately, a Packing Slip. Each one of these documents had "THIS IS
>>>NOT AN INVOICE" stamped on it. Particularly amusing was the
>>>Acknowledgement, which had this line prominently printed in blue:
>>>
>>>"Please Review Important Terms & Conditions On the Reverse Side Of This
>>>Invoice"
>>>
>>>Oops! Looks like somebody goofed, since just below this sentence, in thick
>>>gray letters, was "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE". And what's that "Invoice
>>>Number" doing in the upper right corner?
>>>
>>>If you ask for an invoice, you're told to go to the web site, which
>>>strikes me as peculiar: if Dell will send me an Order Confirmation, an
>>>Acknowledgement and a Packing Slip, surely they could spring for an
>>>Invoice? Anyway, if you look up your invoice number on the web site, you
>>>get your Acknowledgement...which says "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE".
>>>
>>>Do you suppose Dell thinks that by not invoicing its customers it can save
>>>on taxes?
>>>
>>>Ted Zieglar
>>>

>>tis a VAT shift and lets them juggle the sales figures. They should eventual
>>release a FULL invoice. Perhaps also to suit certain sales quarters.
>

> Bollocks!

Exactly, especially because there's no VAT in the USA (as of 04/07/2005).

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> "This is the way things are done all across the USA every day."
>
> I buy lots of stuff on the internet, and I always get an invoice. Dell has
> an invoice for me somewhere. I know this, because I have an invoice number.
> They're just hiding it from me. Maybe someone scribbled something
> embarassing on it.

Ted, please, either toss in a smiley or stop smoking PCP - it's got you
all paranoid and stuff.

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote

>> Thank goodness at least somebody understands that the point of my post was
>> to bring a smile.

>I fully understood the intent, Ted. Sometimes good humor is wasted around
>here....

In comedy, timing is everything. In the presence of real rants,
a subtle faux rant might not be the best choice over a broader,
or even slapstick, joke as a tension reliever.
--
OJ III

I doubt very much that Dell is embarrassed.

"Jim Higgins" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message news:aah851h5mgn0mg02jdao1incmbekb3qn4d@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 15:36:06 -0400, in
> <nLB4e.11113$lu4.13899873@news.sisna.com>, "Ted Zieglar"
> <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
>
> You haven't uncovered a conspiracy to avoid taxes, not have you
> caught Dell in an embarrassing mistake.

Ogden Johnson III wrote:
"lower and crunch the sig"

Can you explain to me what this means?

Doug

Doug Ellice <DouglasSpamNotEllice@Comcast.NotSpam.net> wrote:

>Ogden Johnson III wrote:

>"lower and crunch the sig"
>
>Can you explain to me what this means?

OJ III

Reread the *entire* sig I just quoted above since you truncated
it in your reply, look at the cite line Gecko put on your reply,
and look at that Yahoo address I use on my Usenet posts.

You should be able to figure it out. My only caveat is that when
you do, just confine yourself to an "Oh, s[tuff], how could I
miss that!] and forgo slapping your forehead. Which is why I
don't explain outright; I'd hate to be responsible for you
injuring yourself.

[Hint: I couldn't use what I wanted to when I signed up with
Yahoo, someone else had it.]
--
OJ III

Jim Higgins wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 18:01:42 +0000 (UTC), in
> <d2ujq5$b73$1@titan.btinternet.com>, "Time Teamer"
> <btc@yobtinternet.com> wrote:
>

>>"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>My recent purchase of a replacement power supply from Dell made for some
>>>amusing paperwork.
>>>
>>>Apparently, Dell is dead-set against giving you an invoice. I had the same
>>>situation when I purchased my last computer from Dell. You get lots of
>>>paperwork, but no invoice. I got an Order Confirmation, an Acknowledgement
>>>and ultimately, a Packing Slip. Each one of these documents had "THIS IS
>>>NOT AN INVOICE" stamped on it. Particularly amusing was the
>>>Acknowledgement, which had this line prominently printed in blue:
>>>
>>>"Please Review Important Terms & Conditions On the Reverse Side Of This
>>>Invoice"
>>>
>>>Oops! Looks like somebody goofed, since just below this sentence, in thick
>>>gray letters, was "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE". And what's that "Invoice
>>>Number" doing in the upper right corner?
>>>
>>>If you ask for an invoice, you're told to go to the web site, which
>>>strikes me as peculiar: if Dell will send me an Order Confirmation, an
>>>Acknowledgement and a Packing Slip, surely they could spring for an
>>>Invoice? Anyway, if you look up your invoice number on the web site, you
>>>get your Acknowledgement...which says "THIS IS NOT AN INVOICE".
>>>
>>>Do you suppose Dell thinks that by not invoicing its customers it can save
>>>on taxes?
>>>
>>>Ted Zieglar
>>>

>>tis a VAT shift and lets them juggle the sales figures. They should eventual
>>release a FULL invoice. Perhaps also to suit certain sales quarters.
>

> Bollocks!

Very strange. I needed to send them a copy of my so-called invoice in
order to receive a $50 rebate on their Extended Warranty offer. So I
returned a copy of their Confirmation and did receive the rebate. Go
figure.