Newbie Question About Unlocked Phones

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
March 17, 2005 2:08:47 PM

I have a newbie question about unlocked phones. If I buy one, can I simply
take the SIM from my (very old) Fido Nokia 5190 (which I still use, and yes,
I am a bit embarassed about that) and put it into any unlocked phone and
start using it? Even if the unlocked phone is not Nokia? Does my phone
number stay the same? Thanks in advance for answering these basic
questions.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 2:08:48 PM

Yes.
March 17, 2005 4:01:34 PM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:08:47 -0600, nobody@nowhere.com wrote:

>I have a newbie question about unlocked phones. If I buy one, can I simply
>take the SIM from my (very old) Fido Nokia 5190 (which I still use, and yes,
>I am a bit embarassed about that) and put it into any unlocked phone and
>start using it? Even if the unlocked phone is not Nokia? Does my phone
>number stay the same? Thanks in advance for answering these basic
>questions.

Your account information is in the SIM so you can take the SIM and put
it in any compatible phone that uses the frequencies (1900 for Fido)
and you're all set.

March 17, 2005 4:39:25 PM

Yeah, this is one huge benefit of GSM (i.e. Fido and Rogers) over Bell,
Telus and the others. This feature alone makes GSM much more
desireable, regardless of its better sound, etc.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 5:51:38 PM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:08:47 -0600, nobody wrote:

> I have a newbie question about unlocked phones. If I buy one, can I
> simply take the SIM from my (very old) Fido Nokia 5190 (which I still use,
> and yes, I am a bit embarassed about that)

Don't be, lots of people still use their 6190/5190.

> and put it into any unlocked
> phone and start using it?

Yup.

> Even if the unlocked phone is not Nokia?

Yup.

> Does
> my phone number stay the same?

And yup again, gotta love GSM.

> Thanks in advance for answering these
> basic questions.

No problem. TTYL
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:15:49 PM

nobody@nowhere.com wrote in message news:<1Nedne6GDKECJKTfRVn-sQ@look.ca>...
> I have a newbie question about unlocked phones. If I buy one, can I simply
> take the SIM from my (very old) Fido Nokia 5190 (which I still use, and yes,
> I am a bit embarassed about that) and put it into any unlocked phone and
> start using it? Even if the unlocked phone is not Nokia? Does my phone
> number stay the same? Thanks in advance for answering these basic
> questions.

Well, I'm not ashamed that I'm still using my trusted 5190. I even
gave it a nice new keypad last week because the numbers were all worn
away. (Had a hard time finding new keypads let me tell you.) All the
new cell phones seem so tiny, I don't know how I'd be able to dial
those itsy bisty numbers with my chunky fingers. No, I'm sticking
with my big reliable 5190 for as long as it works, thank you very
much.
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 10:07:06 PM

Joseph wrote:
> Your account information is in the SIM so you can take the SIM and put
> it in any compatible phone that uses the frequencies (1900 for Fido)
> and you're all set.

Actually, it need not be in a phone with the same frequency. You can
take your SIM card to a european phone and it will work (assuming that
phone is locked of course).
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 10:31:30 PM

If/when it wears out move up to a used 6190 or 7190. Same basic
concept, big keypad but a few more features. I still use my old 7190
once in a while for nostalgia's sake, even though I have a Nokia 6230
with colour screen, MP3, video camera, blah blah.

There's something solid and friendly about the early Nokias, you can
run them over with a truck and they will still work, the batteries last
a long time cuz they are not running MP3 players, colour screens, etc.
And it is hard to find a phone with better reception than these old
guys, maybe the Nokia 6310 is a bit better but it is "old school" too
now with b&w screen and no camera.
!