How can I restore the Guest account?

I'm running XP Pro and somehow I have killed the guest account. The
icon is available on my startup screen and the account is enabled but
when I try to log on I receive a message like "Loading user settings"
and after 30 seconds or so I get the original startup screen with the
admin account.

I normally use the admin account (Iknow, bad idea...).

In my Documents and Settings folder I do not have any Guest folder. I
have only folders for:

Administrator.P4-Home
All Users.WINNT
LocalService
NetworkService

If it is important, I upgraded to XP Pro from W2000 over a year ago.
I am fully patched to SP2. I have never before tried to use the Guest
account.

I have searched MS for an answer to this question, but have found only
instructions on how to enable the Guest account which I have done.
Something else must be the problem.

Can anyone help point me to the solution?

TIA, Rich
1 answer Last reply
More about restore guest account

    Cancel this request. I have stumbled upon the solution which was to
    create a folder under Documents and Settings. The folder is to be
    named "Default User".

    Appears to work.

    Rich

    Rich <grstidge@localnet.com> wrote:

    >I'm running XP Pro and somehow I have killed the guest account. The
    >icon is available on my startup screen and the account is enabled but
    >when I try to log on I receive a message like "Loading user settings"
    >and after 30 seconds or so I get the original startup screen with the
    >admin account.
    >
    >I normally use the admin account (Iknow, bad idea...).
    >
    >In my Documents and Settings folder I do not have any Guest folder. I
    >have only folders for:
    >
    >Administrator.P4-Home
    >All Users.WINNT
    >LocalService
    >NetworkService
    >
    >If it is important, I upgraded to XP Pro from W2000 over a year ago.
    >I am fully patched to SP2. I have never before tried to use the Guest
    >account.
    >
    >I have searched MS for an answer to this question, but have found only
    >instructions on how to enable the Guest account which I have done.
    >Something else must be the problem.
    >
    >Can anyone help point me to the solution?
    >
    >TIA, Rich

Startup Screen Windows XP