Question BT ADSL and Linksys BEFW11s4 and PPPoE

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 25, 2004 5:07:34 PM

Can anyone confirm whether a Linksys BEFw11s4 will work with respect to a
UK BT ADSL? The only reason I ask is that I keep seeing documentation
saying that the UK BT ADSL network uses PPPoA, however when I look at the
online documentation for the LinkSys BEFW11S4 it states that connnection
options are only PPPoE. Is this a problem or not?

I have installed the above for friends on several occasions but all were
cable this is the first time I have been involved with connecting it to
ADSL.

Many thanks in advance

Ian

More about : question adsl linksys befw11s4 pppoe

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 25, 2004 6:12:42 PM

Ian Marshall wrote:

> Can anyone confirm whether a Linksys BEFw11s4 will work with respect to a
> UK BT ADSL? The only reason I ask is that I keep seeing documentation
> saying that the UK BT ADSL network uses PPPoA, however when I look at the
> online documentation for the LinkSys BEFW11S4 it states that connnection
> options are only PPPoE. Is this a problem or not?

BT modified the exchanges last summer to handle both PPPoA & PPPoE.
The only problem you could encounter is that you may have to alter
the MTU size.

http://www.mailtrap.org.uk/
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 26, 2004 5:59:07 AM

"Ian Marshall" <who@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone confirm whether a Linksys BEFw11s4 will work with respect to a
> UK BT ADSL? The only reason I ask is that I keep seeing documentation
> saying that the UK BT ADSL network uses PPPoA, however when I look at the
> online documentation for the LinkSys BEFW11S4 it states that connnection
> options are only PPPoE. Is this a problem or not?

Yes. - though the problem is not PPPoA or PPPoE as such (BT are currently
*trialling* PPPoE)... but see below

> I have installed the above for friends on several occasions but all were
> cable this is the first time I have been involved with connecting it to
> ADSL.

This router won't work with BT Wholesale by itself - as it doesn't contain a
built in ADSL modem.

If you are attaching it to an ADSL modem, then it will handle the network
side ok- either that or choose a different model

As I read somewhere:

"PPPoE is an alternate method of authenticating yourself with the service
provider, and the vast majority of ADSL kit sold in the UK will support it
now. Though there generally is no benefit in switching from PPPoA to PPPoE.
Where it will make a difference is that the Windows XP Broadband connection
wizard uses PPPoE, which could allow providers to drop the old dial-up style
interface. The other benefit is people who want to use a Cable/DSL router,
until now if you had a single IP address ADSL account there was a limited
choice of hardware, with PPPoE the choice widens in terms of what you can
use for the modem - with PPPoE it will be possible to use any modem that
supports PPPoE bridging.

It should be highlighted that the use of PPPoE does not mean you will be
getting an Ethernet presentation at the wall socket. The line will still be
a G.DMT ADSL line, therefore cable/DSL routers WILL still require an ADSL
modem."

Regards
Sunil