SP2 won't install "Acces Denied"

I get this message after the long and tedious attempt to install SP2. I've
tried doing it from download and even got the CD. Same result. I am logged on
as administrator and have everything enabled.

Would like to update...any one know what's going on?

XP Home on a Dell Dimension 8200
4 answers Last reply
More about install acces denied

    Start here:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/acdensp2.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "kckel" <kckel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I get this message after the long and tedious attempt to install SP2. I've
    > tried doing it from download and even got the CD. Same result. I am logged
    > on
    > as administrator and have everything enabled.
    >
    > Would like to update...any one know what's going on?
    >
    > XP Home on a Dell Dimension 8200

    You receive an "Access is denied" error message when you try
    to install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/873148

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "kckel" wrote:

    | I get this message after the long and tedious attempt to install SP2. I've
    | tried doing it from download and even got the CD. Same result. I am logged on
    | as administrator and have everything enabled.
    |
    | Would like to update...any one know what's going on?
    |
    | XP Home on a Dell Dimension 8200

    OK...I followed the instructions and found the entry in the registry and
    enabled both the full control and read in the permissions. I rebooted and
    tried to install SP2 and again I got the access denied message. I checked the
    registry and it had gone back to the way it was before...

    Where to go from here? I've changed the registry again...should I try and
    reinstall SP2?

    Kelly

    http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm#Cannot_install_Service_Pack_2

    kckel wrote:
    > I get this message after the long and tedious attempt to install SP2.
    > I've tried doing it from download and even got the CD. Same result. I
    > am logged on as administrator and have everything enabled.
    >
    > Would like to update...any one know what's going on?
    >
    > XP Home on a Dell Dimension 8200

Windows XP