Repair reinstall is it possible

I thought that I might try a repair reinstall of XP. The first thing that I
saw was that it said the program was already running, but I'll assume that's
normal. I then got offered another choice of the recommended upgrade
install or a new Installation advanced. I didn't get the expected offer to
repair.

What happens if I go the new installation route do I end up getting the
offer to do a repair?
--
Thanks in advance

On the "welcome to setup" screen......down at the bottom it should say
R=repair
at which point you press R
peterk

the problem
"Videot" <notathome@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>I thought that I might try a repair reinstall of XP. The first thing that
>I saw was that it said the program was already running, but I'll assume
>that's normal. I then got offered another choice of the recommended
>upgrade install or a new Installation advanced. I didn't get the expected
>offer to repair.
>
> What happens if I go the new installation route do I end up getting the
> offer to do a repair?
> --
> Thanks in advance

tweak

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2004

It sounds like you just poped the XP cd in when you were running it. If
so put the cd in. Make sure you BIOS is set to boot from CD first.. You
will then see something that says

Booting from Cd...Press any key to continue.

Press any key...then it will load as if you where installing windows
and then you will be given the Repair option. And as Videot said its R
for repair You'll see it. ALso this isnt an automiatic repair. Its all
manual. You are just given a dos command prompt and you just copy what
ever files you need. I have done this several times because the
ntfs.dll file...

--
Tweak

I would assume that most times you are likely to try this repair reinstall
there is going to be newer versions of some files already on your machine.
Will the reinstall overwrite these files or just ignore them?

"peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> On the "welcome to setup" screen......down at the bottom it should say
> R=repair
> at which point you press R
> peterk
>
> --
> It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
> about the problem
> "Videot" <notathome@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>I thought that I might try a repair reinstall of XP. The first thing that
>>I saw was that it said the program was already running, but I'll assume
>>that's normal. I then got offered another choice of the recommended
>>upgrade install or a new Installation advanced. I didn't get the expected
>>offer to repair.
>>
>> What happens if I go the new installation route do I end up getting the
>> offer to do a repair?
>> --
>> Thanks in advance

As I understand it the Repair Install will not change your settings but will
set everything else back to original XP ...whats on the CD.You will then
need to do all those lovely updates all over again.
The proper way is to boot with the XP CD and follow along until that screen
comes up.