Sign in with
Your question

Monitor Suggestions LCD

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 18, 2005 12:01:46 AM

Guys I need a new monitor for my rig. I'm looking at the View Sonic VX924. Any other suggestions? Thanks. Ya I know this is not Monitor Forum. We get more traffic here.
August 18, 2005 5:11:29 AM

Are you talking about the 4ms one? If so, then yeah I don't see why not.

Have you considered 20.1" monitors? I have the VP201s from Viewsonic. Absolutely amazing for resolution. Great design and has all the movement functions you want, comes with a 4-port USB 2.0 hub and the power adapter is integrated.

Colors aren't perfect, and that is only apparent for grays though. Performance is average at 16ms, but for many it seems like the monitor was perfect for gaming. Not for me, but I got used to it and now play Far Cry at 1600*1200 with little to nag about.

The one real strength this monitor has is the angles of vision though. You haven't seen good angles of vision until you've seen how Viewsonic does it with this one. Except for the expected change of colors when looking from down or up (due to the backlight I'd guess), you can pretty much look or sit anywhere and get very satisfying results, so it does nicely for movie watching with a group.

It isn't a new monitor by all means, and far from the most performing let alone the contender for color gamut, but for the price nowadays, it sure does the job.

If it's out of your league, consider the VP190b from VS, AFAIK THG had a review on it with its Overdrive feature, and the results were mind blowing, as it trounced the competition hands down with its low latency. Dunno if it's yet available, but if it is, consider it.

Otherwise the new 4ms one from VS should be good too.

Now if you're looking for a more mainstream pricing, the Samsung 930B isn't a bad choice at all, with 8ms latency. BenQ's FP91E+ is also a very worthy choice, because it has the anti-reflection filter on it, which dramatically boosts image quality in sharpness, color and detail. Better viewing angles are also a boon. Once you buy an LCD (or a laptop for that matter) with the glossy coating, you just won't ever wanna go back to traditional ones. It simply makes everything so much more defined, so much more beautiful to look at, because of how bright and vivid everything looks. That BenQ has that quality, and comes at a very nice latency rating of 8ms, not to mention integrated speakers (in the event yours crap out or sumthin') with a headphone port as well for easy and closer plugging of earphones. The Samsung and the BenQ models should be displayed at Staples if you want to check them out in person, I believe. (well, in my store anyways)
Don't take my word alone for it, see it for yourself and be convinced.

I wish there was an aftermarket coating film I could buy to put on mine! :frown:

--
The <b><A HREF="http://snipurl.com/blsb" target="_new"><font color=red>THGC Photo Album</font color=red></A></b>, send in your pics, get your own webpage and view other members' sites.
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 18, 2005 5:28:01 AM

Yeah I second the motion by Eden.

I'd also add the nice Samsung 193P+ which I was fondling at FutureShop last night.

Tilts/Swivels/Rotates, 8ms, 1000:1 contrast ratio, Analog/Digital, and a nice bezel.

Of course the 20" widescreen from Dell are nice too, just a little more expensive. I'm hoping they'll have a product refresh soon.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com/" target="_new"><font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: 
Related resources
August 18, 2005 4:01:49 PM

Yes The VX924 has 3 or 4MS. But contrast 550.
August 18, 2005 4:09:00 PM

I'll have to check out the Samsug 193P+ VS has 3ms But contrast is 550:1 I like the Samsung 1000:1 contrast. The VS VX924 cost 379.99 USD at NewEgg. I love the widescreen on my new Laptop. Don't know if I need widescreen for main PC yet.
August 18, 2005 4:42:56 PM

The Dell widescreen 20' Contrast 600:1 12ms It's on sale at Dell. About the same price for Samsung at NewEgg. But Dell takes 1-2 weeks to ship.
August 18, 2005 4:51:13 PM

I just purchased one of the Dell 24" LCD monitors about a month ago. I run it at 1920x1200 (the native resolution) and it works great for the games that I'm playing on it, all of which support the widescreen resolution. (Anarchy Online, World of Warcraft, and UT2004) It's very nice looking. I've also got my PS2 connected to the Component port and my digital TV connected to the S-Video port. I think I'll just leave the VGA and Composite ports alone. PS2 games look fairly decent. Digital Channels look really good for the TV. (Analog channels don't look so good, but I haven't tried it in windowed mode running through my computer's tuner yet, just directly plugged into the monitor.)

Obviously, any old games that don't do decent resolution look bad (like the Diablo Series), but that is true of any LCD display if you drop it down far enough from the native resolution.
August 18, 2005 6:40:11 PM

Quote:
I'd also add the nice Samsung 193P+ which I was fondling at FutureShop last night.

I dont even wanna know how ;-)

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>
August 19, 2005 2:47:42 PM

My vision is getting worse with age and my ole 19" Viewsonic was darkening up and too small to get it done anymore so.. I scored a Dell Ultrasharp 2005 Widescreen 2 months ago for under a grand. Easy to set up. DVI or analog and while playing "FarCry" or "Pacific Fighters" MAXXED out I see no blurring or ghosting. Not the lowest millisecond count but in real world gaming, it's the shiznit. And trust me, I'm a Dell Hater from way back so it must be good for me to talk this about it.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
August 19, 2005 4:55:03 PM

That's why I have not bought yet. I don't like Dell. But the Samsung has what I wont 1000:1 Contrast. But no Widescreen.
!