Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Opinions - Crystal Castles or Missile Command

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 11:01:00 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?

John
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 2:00:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I'd have to go with CC as well. ITs just too easy to get frustrated
and quit playing MC.
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 2:17:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Crystal Castles....great game IMHO!

MC is cool and different but only few colors is kinda boring to me!!


"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1125064860.027072.22290@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
> Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?
>
> John
>
Related resources
August 26, 2005 2:37:28 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

dddd
August 26, 2005 4:47:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Missile Command gets my vote hands down.Wow all you people for Crystal
Castles a game where your a little bear running around collecting dots
with your feet.My 11 year old played that game and was tired of it in 5
min.I have had both in my gameroom at the same time and MC got played
way longer then CC.And those of you that say its hard or frustrating
sounds like you just need more practice.Which also makes another point
if you have a game that is harder and takes a whole lot more to master
it then you wont get tired of it as fast.Plus I think there is way more
nestalgia surrounding MC then CC.But thats my thoughts to each his own
I guess.Happy Collecting
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 5:47:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Missile Command isn't any fun w/o a high score save. :) 

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

<micrologix1500@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1125075632.562218.306420@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> I'd have to go with CC as well. ITs just too easy to get frustrated
> and quit playing MC.
>
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 7:15:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Baraka wrote:
> If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it
> be? Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?
>
Crystal Castles.
I always found MC to be far too frustrating

--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 7:31:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Baraka <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:
:
: If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
: Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?

Missile command with a Crystal Castles board and adapter, of course.

Think outside the box people.

Crsyal's a much better looking cab, but it doesn't have enough buttons
to play missile command :) 

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 8:47:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

On 26 Aug 2005 07:01:00 -0700, "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
>Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?
>
>John

This is going to sound weird. For a few plays I'd opt for Missile
Command every time, but for home use I think Crystal Castles would
hold up better due to the variety of levels.

If you're going to have company over, CC would appeal to the wimmin's.
:) 


Tim
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 10:31:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

"Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1125064860.027072.22290@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
> Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?
>
> John

Crystal Castle ;-)
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:57:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

My wife was the other way around... I had a CC and my wife didn't care for
it.. she said Oh that's cute but had no interest in playing it.. I ended up
with a MC mini on a trade in a trashed cab.. I left it plugged in in the
garage and went in the house for a few. I came outside and she was playing
it. She asked what I was planning on doing with it. I told her I didn't
know. She said "Oh you have to keep this game!!"

Sometimes I'm amazed at the games my wife attaches herself to...





"Tim O" <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:covug19kkafvdh5at5c7spkffds7c1p6hd@4ax.com...
> On 26 Aug 2005 07:01:00 -0700, "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
>>Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?
>>
>>John
>
> This is going to sound weird. For a few plays I'd opt for Missile
> Command every time, but for home use I think Crystal Castles would
> hold up better due to the variety of levels.
>
> If you're going to have company over, CC would appeal to the wimmin's.
> :) 
>
>
> Tim
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 2:29:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Actually the video games that get the women's vote are:
Pac Man
Ms Pac
Centipede

I'm sure there's a few more but I think games like Kangaroo and CC
were more geared to cutesy games for the younger gamers out there.

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:47:39 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 26 Aug 2005 07:01:00 -0700, "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
>>Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?
>>
>>John
>
>This is going to sound weird. For a few plays I'd opt for Missile
>Command every time, but for home use I think Crystal Castles would
>hold up better due to the variety of levels.
>
>If you're going to have company over, CC would appeal to the wimmin's.
>:) 
>
>
>Tim
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 3:15:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Crystal Castles all the way :) 
August 27, 2005 3:15:52 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Damn, all these votes for CC and I traded mine away last weekend. :( 


"Linolium" <megasonx@msn.com> wrote in message
news:ff9fb3e4d34b77f86d27672633063740@localhost.talkaboutcollecting.com...
> Crystal Castles all the way :) 
>
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 6:43:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:50:01 -0500, "LarryC"
<larry@donspam.hermitcreek.com> wrote:

>Damn, all these votes for CC and I traded mine away last weekend. :( 

Yeah, big show of CC fans all of a sudden.

I sold my CC about 2 years ago...don't regret it and will never miss
it. It was one of those games I didn't mind dumping a quarter in back
in the day. Found a nice one for my collection and after the first
few days all I could think of was "why did I buy this"? Only thing it
has going for it is the cool cabinet.

If you're a lamer who only cares about eye candy vs. game play it's a
great game.

Missile Command is the first game I bought and I doubt I'll ever get
rid of it. It's one of the best hardcore classics ever made with
timeless game play. I feel the same way about my Defender and
Asteroids Deluxe. When I was 10 years old I didn't care for those two
because they ate up my quarters within seconds. I still find them
incredibly difficult, therefore I never tire of them.

I'll never buy another game with an ending or one that just gets to a
point where it repeats the same thing over like Moon Patrol.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 7:49:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

The only thing I miss about my CC is the cool cabinet artwork. Hated the
actual game though.

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

"Turbo-Torch" <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:9ab1h19nrvcjah7akot7lpt0a0hqf11dml@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:50:01 -0500, "LarryC"
> <larry@donspam.hermitcreek.com> wrote:
>
>>Damn, all these votes for CC and I traded mine away last weekend. :( 
>
> Yeah, big show of CC fans all of a sudden.
>
> I sold my CC about 2 years ago...don't regret it and will never miss
> it. It was one of those games I didn't mind dumping a quarter in back
> in the day. Found a nice one for my collection and after the first
> few days all I could think of was "why did I buy this"? Only thing it
> has going for it is the cool cabinet.
>
> If you're a lamer who only cares about eye candy vs. game play it's a
> great game.
>
> Missile Command is the first game I bought and I doubt I'll ever get
> rid of it. It's one of the best hardcore classics ever made with
> timeless game play. I feel the same way about my Defender and
> Asteroids Deluxe. When I was 10 years old I didn't care for those two
> because they ate up my quarters within seconds. I still find them
> incredibly difficult, therefore I never tire of them.
>
> I'll never buy another game with an ending or one that just gets to a
> point where it repeats the same thing over like Moon Patrol.
>
>
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 10:49:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:43:16 -0400, Turbo-Torch
<vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Yeah, big show of CC fans all of a sudden.
>
>I sold my CC about 2 years ago...don't regret it and will never miss
>it. It was one of those games I didn't mind dumping a quarter in back
>in the day. Found a nice one for my collection and after the first
>few days all I could think of was "why did I buy this"? Only thing it
>has going for it is the cool cabinet.
>
>If you're a lamer who only cares about eye candy vs. game play it's a
>great game.
>
>Missile Command is the first game I bought and I doubt I'll ever get
>rid of it. It's one of the best hardcore classics ever made with
>timeless game play. I feel the same way about my Defender and
>Asteroids Deluxe. When I was 10 years old I didn't care for those two
>because they ate up my quarters within seconds. I still find them
>incredibly difficult, therefore I never tire of them.
>
>I'll never buy another game with an ending or one that just gets to a
>point where it repeats the same thing over like Moon Patrol.
>

Perhaps because the only thing the games have in common is the
manufacturer and use of a trackball it illicits strong opinion.
I totally respect Missile Commands classic status above Crystal
Castles, but it still doesn't appeal to me that much. Neither does
Crystal Castles, but of the two I considered it as offering just a bit
more variety.

I don't much agree with your comparison against Moon Patrol, because
even though MP has specific obstacles placed in the same place, the
length of the levels makes it seem less repetitive to me. I have loved
Moon Patrol since it came out, and still play it a couple times a
week. I feel I basically saw everything Missle Command has to offer
after a few minutes. What's it take to get A-Z in Moon Patrol, about
15? Then the Expert course or whatever its called is laid out
different. Thats not bad variety from a game of that era.

It all comes down to taste in the play mechanic. Saying either one has
eye candy sounds almost comical considering a $150 home console (or a
$15 yard sale Super Nintendo) can smoke both in graphical quality.

Tim
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 10:49:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:49:39 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Perhaps because the only thing the games have in common is the
>manufacturer and use of a trackball it illicits strong opinion.
>I totally respect Missile Commands classic status above Crystal
>Castles, but it still doesn't appeal to me that much. Neither does
>Crystal Castles, but of the two I considered it as offering just a bit
>more variety.
>
>I don't much agree with your comparison against Moon Patrol, because
>even though MP has specific obstacles placed in the same place, the
>length of the levels makes it seem less repetitive to me. I have loved
>Moon Patrol since it came out, and still play it a couple times a
>week. I feel I basically saw everything Missle Command has to offer
>after a few minutes. What's it take to get A-Z in Moon Patrol, about
>15? Then the Expert course or whatever its called is laid out
>different. Thats not bad variety from a game of that era.

My MP was put up for sale at the same time as my CC when I decided to
thin out the collection.
MP was my favorite game back in the early 80's. I could go through
most of the first course without even looking at the screen. The
"professional course" was more difficult but once mastered the game
became worthless to me. Same course over and over with very little
changing.
No matter how long you play MC it offers random fast paced game play
and unlike CC or MP it's a difficult game and not many can master it.
Hell, I've been playing it for 25 years and I've only broken 100,000 a
couple of times.


>It all comes down to taste in the play mechanic. Saying either one has
>eye candy sounds almost comical considering a $150 home console (or a
>$15 yard sale Super Nintendo) can smoke both in graphical quality.

We're not talking about home consoles or modern systems. There was a
comment in this very thread about someone not liking MC because of the
lack of colors vs. CC.
As far as home consoles or PC's go, I'd rather play games like MP on
them through emulation and save the floor space for games that can
never be truely emulated due to controls (like the large MC trackball)
or video such as any vector game.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:02:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

"Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:jpednZ2dnZ10NXixnZ2dnUpejd6dnZ2dRVn-y52dnZ0@adelphia.com...
> The only thing I miss about my CC is the cool cabinet artwork. Hated the
> actual game though.
>

Can some of you elaborate on why you don't like the game... Is it too
short? When does it end? I had considered getting one because of the cool
cabinet and mildly entertaining gameplay the few times I have tried it.

Dane.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:02:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

I just didn't care for it. I can't seem to narrow down exactly why other
than I just didn't like it. :) 

I hated to sell it because I loved the cabinet - mine was in super A+
condition and that side art is spectacular.

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

"Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message
news:aF3Qe.2610$9i4.1330@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> "Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:jpednZ2dnZ10NXixnZ2dnUpejd6dnZ2dRVn-y52dnZ0@adelphia.com...
>> The only thing I miss about my CC is the cool cabinet artwork. Hated the
>> actual game though.
>>
>
> Can some of you elaborate on why you don't like the game... Is it too
> short? When does it end? I had considered getting one because of the
> cool
> cabinet and mildly entertaining gameplay the few times I have tried it.
>
> Dane.
>
>
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:24:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:23:27 -0400, Turbo-Torch
<vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote:

>We're not talking about home consoles or modern systems. There was a
>comment in this very thread about someone not liking MC because of the
>lack of colors vs. CC.
>As far as home consoles or PC's go, I'd rather play games like MP on
>them through emulation and save the floor space for games that can
>never be truely emulated due to controls (like the large MC trackball)
>or video such as any vector game.

I'm right with ya there. I also have a MAME machine to allow me to
play some old games I love but don't have space for. I missed the part
about graphics earlier in the thread.
I have an XBox that basically sits unused since it offers lots of
great looking games that don't much appeal to me. I bought it for
somewhat ironic reasons... I wanted House Of The Dead and couldn't
afford one. The XBox has HOTD III which also includes a nice port of
HOTD II.

Tim
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 8:53:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

Well, seems like after reading all the posts, missile command still
wins with me. Crystal Castles has an ending which is a total turn off.
Missile command goes on and on and no ending. The only damper with
missile command is no hi score save. Once the hi score save kit comes
out (If Clay ever releases it that is), I think Missile Command would
be a lot more fun.

John
!