Opinions - Crystal Castles or Missile Command

If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?

John
21 answers Last reply
More about opinions crystal castles missile command

    I'd have to go with CC as well. ITs just too easy to get frustrated
    and quit playing MC.

    Crystal Castles....great game IMHO!

    MC is cool and different but only few colors is kinda boring to me!!

    "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
    > Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?
    >
    > John

    dddd

    Missile Command gets my vote hands down.Wow all you people for Crystal
    Castles a game where your a little bear running around collecting dots
    with your feet.My 11 year old played that game and was tired of it in 5
    min.I have had both in my gameroom at the same time and MC got played
    way longer then CC.And those of you that say its hard or frustrating
    sounds like you just need more practice.Which also makes another point
    if you have a game that is harder and takes a whole lot more to master
    it then you wont get tired of it as fast.Plus I think there is way more
    nestalgia surrounding MC then CC.But thats my thoughts to each his own
    I guess.Happy Collecting

    Missile Command isn't any fun w/o a high score save. :)

    --
    -Steve P.

    All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

    Baraka wrote:
    > If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it
    > be? Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?

    Crystal Castles.
    I always found MC to be far too frustrating

    --
    Alex

    Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
    Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

    www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Baraka <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:
    :
    : If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
    : Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?

    Missile command with a Crystal Castles board and adapter, of course.

    Think outside the box people.

    Crsyal's a much better looking cab, but it doesn't have enough buttons
    to play missile command :)

    --
    Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
    50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

    On 26 Aug 2005 07:01:00 -0700, "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
    >Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?
    >
    >John

    This is going to sound weird. For a few plays I'd opt for Missile
    Command every time, but for home use I think Crystal Castles would
    hold up better due to the variety of levels.

    If you're going to have company over, CC would appeal to the wimmin's.
    :)

    Tim
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
    > Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?
    >
    > John

    Crystal Castle ;-)
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    My wife was the other way around... I had a CC and my wife didn't care for
    it.. she said Oh that's cute but had no interest in playing it.. I ended up
    with a MC mini on a trade in a trashed cab.. I left it plugged in in the
    garage and went in the house for a few. I came outside and she was playing
    it. She asked what I was planning on doing with it. I told her I didn't
    know. She said "Oh you have to keep this game!!"

    Sometimes I'm amazed at the games my wife attaches herself to...

    "Tim O" <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On 26 Aug 2005 07:01:00 -0700, "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
    >>Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?
    >>
    >>John
    >
    > This is going to sound weird. For a few plays I'd opt for Missile
    > Command every time, but for home use I think Crystal Castles would
    > hold up better due to the variety of levels.
    >
    > If you're going to have company over, CC would appeal to the wimmin's.
    > :)
    >

    > Tim
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Actually the video games that get the women's vote are:
    Pac Man
    Ms Pac
    Centipede

    I'm sure there's a few more but I think games like Kangaroo and CC
    were more geared to cutesy games for the younger gamers out there.

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 16:47:39 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On 26 Aug 2005 07:01:00 -0700, "Baraka" <grus_jc@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>If you had a choice on what game you prefer to play, which would it be?
    >>Crystal Castles or Missile Command and why?
    >>
    >>John
    >
    >This is going to sound weird. For a few plays I'd opt for Missile
    >Command every time, but for home use I think Crystal Castles would
    >hold up better due to the variety of levels.
    >
    >If you're going to have company over, CC would appeal to the wimmin's.
    >:)
    >

    >Tim
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Crystal Castles all the way :)
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Damn, all these votes for CC and I traded mine away last weekend. :(

    "Linolium" <megasonx@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Crystal Castles all the way :)

  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:50:01 -0500, "LarryC"
    <larry@donspam.hermitcreek.com> wrote:

    >Damn, all these votes for CC and I traded mine away last weekend. :(

    Yeah, big show of CC fans all of a sudden.

    I sold my CC about 2 years ago...don't regret it and will never miss
    it. It was one of those games I didn't mind dumping a quarter in back
    in the day. Found a nice one for my collection and after the first
    few days all I could think of was "why did I buy this"? Only thing it
    has going for it is the cool cabinet.

    If you're a lamer who only cares about eye candy vs. game play it's a
    great game.

    Missile Command is the first game I bought and I doubt I'll ever get
    rid of it. It's one of the best hardcore classics ever made with
    timeless game play. I feel the same way about my Defender and
    Asteroids Deluxe. When I was 10 years old I didn't care for those two
    because they ate up my quarters within seconds. I still find them
    incredibly difficult, therefore I never tire of them.

    I'll never buy another game with an ending or one that just gets to a
    point where it repeats the same thing over like Moon Patrol.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    The only thing I miss about my CC is the cool cabinet artwork. Hated the
    actual game though.

    --

    "Turbo-Torch" <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 11:50:01 -0500, "LarryC"
    > <larry@donspam.hermitcreek.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Damn, all these votes for CC and I traded mine away last weekend. :(
    >
    > Yeah, big show of CC fans all of a sudden.
    >
    > I sold my CC about 2 years ago...don't regret it and will never miss
    > it. It was one of those games I didn't mind dumping a quarter in back
    > in the day. Found a nice one for my collection and after the first
    > few days all I could think of was "why did I buy this"? Only thing it
    > has going for it is the cool cabinet.
    >
    > If you're a lamer who only cares about eye candy vs. game play it's a
    > great game.
    >
    > Missile Command is the first game I bought and I doubt I'll ever get
    > rid of it. It's one of the best hardcore classics ever made with
    > timeless game play. I feel the same way about my Defender and
    > Asteroids Deluxe. When I was 10 years old I didn't care for those two
    > because they ate up my quarters within seconds. I still find them
    > incredibly difficult, therefore I never tire of them.
    >
    > I'll never buy another game with an ending or one that just gets to a
    > point where it repeats the same thing over like Moon Patrol.

  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:43:16 -0400, Turbo-Torch
    <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Yeah, big show of CC fans all of a sudden.
    >
    >I sold my CC about 2 years ago...don't regret it and will never miss
    >it. It was one of those games I didn't mind dumping a quarter in back
    >in the day. Found a nice one for my collection and after the first
    >few days all I could think of was "why did I buy this"? Only thing it
    >has going for it is the cool cabinet.
    >
    >If you're a lamer who only cares about eye candy vs. game play it's a
    >great game.
    >
    >Missile Command is the first game I bought and I doubt I'll ever get
    >rid of it. It's one of the best hardcore classics ever made with
    >timeless game play. I feel the same way about my Defender and
    >Asteroids Deluxe. When I was 10 years old I didn't care for those two
    >because they ate up my quarters within seconds. I still find them
    >incredibly difficult, therefore I never tire of them.
    >
    >I'll never buy another game with an ending or one that just gets to a
    >point where it repeats the same thing over like Moon Patrol.

    Perhaps because the only thing the games have in common is the
    manufacturer and use of a trackball it illicits strong opinion.
    I totally respect Missile Commands classic status above Crystal
    Castles, but it still doesn't appeal to me that much. Neither does
    Crystal Castles, but of the two I considered it as offering just a bit
    more variety.

    I don't much agree with your comparison against Moon Patrol, because
    even though MP has specific obstacles placed in the same place, the
    length of the levels makes it seem less repetitive to me. I have loved
    Moon Patrol since it came out, and still play it a couple times a
    week. I feel I basically saw everything Missle Command has to offer
    after a few minutes. What's it take to get A-Z in Moon Patrol, about
    15? Then the Expert course or whatever its called is laid out
    different. Thats not bad variety from a game of that era.

    It all comes down to taste in the play mechanic. Saying either one has
    eye candy sounds almost comical considering a $150 home console (or a
    $15 yard sale Super Nintendo) can smoke both in graphical quality.

    Tim
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:49:39 -0400, Tim O <timo56@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Perhaps because the only thing the games have in common is the
    >manufacturer and use of a trackball it illicits strong opinion.
    >I totally respect Missile Commands classic status above Crystal
    >Castles, but it still doesn't appeal to me that much. Neither does
    >Crystal Castles, but of the two I considered it as offering just a bit
    >more variety.
    >
    >I don't much agree with your comparison against Moon Patrol, because
    >even though MP has specific obstacles placed in the same place, the
    >length of the levels makes it seem less repetitive to me. I have loved
    >Moon Patrol since it came out, and still play it a couple times a
    >week. I feel I basically saw everything Missle Command has to offer
    >after a few minutes. What's it take to get A-Z in Moon Patrol, about
    >15? Then the Expert course or whatever its called is laid out
    >different. Thats not bad variety from a game of that era.

    My MP was put up for sale at the same time as my CC when I decided to
    thin out the collection.
    MP was my favorite game back in the early 80's. I could go through
    most of the first course without even looking at the screen. The
    "professional course" was more difficult but once mastered the game
    became worthless to me. Same course over and over with very little
    changing.
    No matter how long you play MC it offers random fast paced game play
    and unlike CC or MP it's a difficult game and not many can master it.
    Hell, I've been playing it for 25 years and I've only broken 100,000 a
    couple of times.

    >It all comes down to taste in the play mechanic. Saying either one has
    >eye candy sounds almost comical considering a $150 home console (or a
    >$15 yard sale Super Nintendo) can smoke both in graphical quality.

    We're not talking about home consoles or modern systems. There was a
    comment in this very thread about someone not liking MC because of the
    lack of colors vs. CC.
    As far as home consoles or PC's go, I'd rather play games like MP on
    them through emulation and save the floor space for games that can
    never be truely emulated due to controls (like the large MC trackball)
    or video such as any vector game.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The only thing I miss about my CC is the cool cabinet artwork. Hated the
    > actual game though.

    Can some of you elaborate on why you don't like the game... Is it too
    short? When does it end? I had considered getting one because of the cool
    cabinet and mildly entertaining gameplay the few times I have tried it.

    Dane.
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I just didn't care for it. I can't seem to narrow down exactly why other
    than I just didn't like it. :)

    I hated to sell it because I loved the cabinet - mine was in super A+
    condition and that side art is spectacular.

    --

    "Dane L. Galden" <chigroup(at)ix.netcom.comCHANGE(at)TO@> wrote in message
    > "Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> The only thing I miss about my CC is the cool cabinet artwork. Hated the
    >> actual game though.
    >>

    > Can some of you elaborate on why you don't like the game... Is it too
    > short? When does it end? I had considered getting one because of the
    > cool
    > cabinet and mildly entertaining gameplay the few times I have tried it.
    >
    > Dane.

  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:23:27 -0400, Turbo-Torch
    <vairxpert@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >We're not talking about home consoles or modern systems. There was a
    >comment in this very thread about someone not liking MC because of the
    >lack of colors vs. CC.
    >As far as home consoles or PC's go, I'd rather play games like MP on
    >them through emulation and save the floor space for games that can
    >never be truely emulated due to controls (like the large MC trackball)
    >or video such as any vector game.

    I'm right with ya there. I also have a MAME machine to allow me to
    play some old games I love but don't have space for. I missed the part
    about graphics earlier in the thread.
    I have an XBox that basically sits unused since it offers lots of
    great looking games that don't much appeal to me. I bought it for
    somewhat ironic reasons... I wanted House Of The Dead and couldn't
    afford one. The XBox has HOTD III which also includes a nice port of
    HOTD II.

    Tim
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Well, seems like after reading all the posts, missile command still
    wins with me. Crystal Castles has an ending which is a total turn off.
    Missile command goes on and on and no ending. The only damper with
    missile command is no hi score save. Once the hi score save kit comes
    out (If Clay ever releases it that is), I think Missile Command would
    be a lot more fun.

    John

Crystal Games Command Prompt Video Games