Newly installed XP is not working properly with internet.

fred

Hi, I have posted the message below to the Microsoft Windows Xp email
help service. I have decided to post a copy here as well so that there
is more chance someone who reads it may be able to find me a solution.

orignal message follows...
What are you trying to do?
1. Activate Windows XP through internet
2. Use Windows Update
3. Do the above on a multi-boot PC (Win 98 + Win XP)
4. Access this section of support with XP (I am using Win 98 to access
this page)

How are you trying to do it?
1. Trying to activate using the taskbar icon or start menu link.
2. Trying to use Windows Update from internet explorer or the start menu
link.
3. Windows XP was installed sucessfully to an available 18Gb SCSI drive
(E:), leaving previous OS (Win 98) untouched on drive C:
4. Trying to access these support pages with Windows XP

What is happening as a result?
1. I see - "checking for connectivity..."
After a timeout period of approx. 1 or 2 minutes I get -
"Unable to activate Windows
Online activation cannot be completed at this time. etc...
Message number: 32781"
2. When I tried to use Windows Update, it successfully checked my
version of Windows Update and installed the latest version. I can get as
far as the screen which says - "welcome to Windows update
keep your computer up to date
check to see if you need updates for windows, your hardware or your devices"
Then if I click either of the buttons "express" or "custom" update, I
see "checking for updates for your computer" and animated green squares
moving along a progress bar. After some time this is follow by "[Error
number: 0x80072EE2] The website has encountered a problem and cannot
display the page you are trying to view. The options provided below
might help you solve the problem.
For self-help options: etc..."
3. There does not appear to be any problem selecting which OS to use at
boot up. I do not know if using dual boot OS is causing the above 2
problems.
4. Nothing happens for ages, then get a "page could not be loaded" type
error, as if the computer is not connected.

How often is this problem happening?
Every time, for all problems.

Xp was installed yesterday. I now have 29 days left to find the solution.
I know I can activate using the "phone up" method, but that is hardly
solving the problem which is preventing internet activation is it?
Surely whatever is causing this activation problem is related to the
Windows Update problem as well, and activating by phone is just a
"bandaid" solution which will not fix the underlying problem.
Most web browsing seems to work, but I've noticed that I cannot sign in
to google groups in order to post on newsgroups while in XP.

Has anyone experienced these problems? How can I fix them? For now I
guess I am stuck with using Windows 98 for internet and XP for
everything else (at least until it locks me out or I phone up the
activation)

If the multiboot systems are both on your C drive, you would need a different partition for each, to make them both work.

--
Mark L. Ferguson

Mark L. Ferguson wrote:
> If the multiboot systems are both on your C drive, you would need a different partition for each, to make them both work.

As, I said, XP was installed to a separate drive (E:).
Anyway, I never recieved any response from Microsoft support, but I have
somehow corrected the problem myself.
I booted in Win98, then deleted all WinXP files and directories (hidden
and system too)from drive E:, then I reinstalled XP on E: again, only
this time all internet functionality was working correctly. I didn't do
anything different this time, so I am at a loss as to why it did not
work the first time I installed.