theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
someone please give me a link or send me a pic of a fried/melted video card?? my dad wants me to put my system into a friggin $70 CAD case.... (system cost 1500...) BTW it dosen't matter if it was OCed

AMD A64 3200+Venice
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ 2x512mb EL Gold VX PC3200 ram 3-3-3-8
evga eGeforce 6800GT 256mb GDDR3 ram
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 3/10
WIndows XP SP2
No OC

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cheap cases...can have good or bad cooling. So can expensive ones. The most overlooked factor is the fan grill, larger holes flow better, as do greater offsets from the fan.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i thought i was working... but under xp the cpu cannot be fully utilized.... (when i get something big like dungeon seige 2 installer, i get about 40% max cpu usage...) this was okay when i ran it on my windows 2000... really beginning to suspect M$ now...

but still can't explain all the failed tests with seatools....

AMD A64 3200+Venice
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 3/10
WIndows XP SP2
No OC

Haha, it is user error not MS. Give up trying to blame somebody else for your lack of computing skills.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
o_O why? i did everything to the dot of installing a new computer and there is nothing else that i could think of that is casuing this... unless i could go on w/o installing any nvidia mobo drivers or somthing...

AMD A64 3200+Venice
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 3/10
WIndows XP SP2
No OC

Dude, does the game install right? I don't understand you're complaining it isn't using 100% of the CPu, but it might not need to.

Run WMP, it won't take up 100% either.

Ether way, you've got to stop blaming MS for your errors.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
But most people don't cut out the integrated grills.

I've seen a few well-designed, well-fabricated cases made out of steel so thin you'd think it might collapse under the weight of a good power supply! And I've seen heavy-duty cases of lesser design.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
well ned when i had zone alarm on it didn;t install at all... it freezes windows completly when i try.... now i got it off and is using a combination of stuff (firewall, spyware and virus) to keep my pc safe... shame on me for trying to save time with a security suite......

AMD A64 3200+Venice
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 3/10
WIndows XP SP2
No OC

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
ZoneAlarm sucks balls. Big, hairy, sweaty ones. I used to use it, but removed it while troubleshooting a problem (incidentally, ZA <i>was</i> the problem), and was amazed at the increase in responsiveness of the system generally.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
o_O.... and people said ZA was one of the best o_O.....??

AMD A64 3200+Venice
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 3/10
WIndows XP SP2
No OC

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Of all the fairly full-featured free software firewalls I know, it's the second best, based on my personal experience.

I only know about two - the other one's Kerio Personal Firewall.

ZoneAlarm is generally more idiot-proof and invisible, but that's mostly because Kerio's Program launch control can be a pain when initially installed as it pops up about every proggie under the sun. Once you've had it for a day or so though most rules are created and it just sits there and only shouts at you occasionally - like the first time you join/host a LAN/internet game or something.

<pre>*glances around, sees nothing now but installs P-O-C just in case*</pre><p>
---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
hmm ok... if my sys gets infected i better start to look for other stuff...

AMD A64 3200+Venice
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 3/10
WIndows XP SP2
No OC

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I'm guessing he's talking about ZA free edition, assuming it still exists.

I would much rather spend the cash on a decent hardware firewall than actually <i>pay</i> for a software one.

Unfortunately I paid for a very crap Adsl Modem/Router ages ago, so I need to use a Software F/W. (Well, the box is on 'Basic' firewall, so We'll see how badly infected my Flatmate's PC gets... :evil: )

---

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
lol lets say that ZA SS was cheap enough for me... and i've being trying to convince my dad for a hardware firewall..... but since we are sharing internet via a hub he said that he don't want to configure the firewall him self and he won't let me do it (seeing as that i was experimenting overclocking with clockgen with his IBM :p)

AMD A64 3200+Venice
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 3/10
WIndows XP SP2
No OC

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
seeing as that i was experimenting overclocking with clockgen with his IBM
No matter who it belongs to, you should never tweak other people's hardware. I don't know what your dad does for a living, but that sort of thing could screw up some work or something, and cost him/his company money or lost business, or worse. The worst I've ever done is install F@H on some colleague's PCs at work, but I know it's a well-written bit of software that really doesn't affect anything, and is virtually invisible to the user.

You clearly never think stuff through properly... You need to learn to take your time, and think about what you're doing carefully. That I think has been your problem all along really. I guess a lot can be put down to the 'brashness of youth'..... [/"during the war"] :wink:

---