Backup Files & Programs to external hard-drive ??

June 24, 2005 2:01:02 AM

I have connected an 80GB external hard-drive. My operating system is XP Pro.
I wish to save all files & programs to this new drive.

How do I do this please.

Regards,
Marie
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:10:11 PM

302894 - HOW TO Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302894

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Marie" <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E735CE42-0A91-451F-ADEE-8EF3751BE7C6@microsoft.com...
>I have connected an 80GB external hard-drive. My operating system is XP Pro.
> I wish to save all files & programs to this new drive.
>
> How do I do this please.
>
> Regards,
> Marie
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 9:47:04 PM

I printed this article and it tells me to insert my Windows XP CD into the
drive, etc., etc. I DO NOT HAVE THIS CD and, as far as I know, never did as
the Windows operating program was installed when I purchased the computer. I
am really concerned about backing up my files and programs as I recently had
to perform a system recovery. Prior to doing this I thought I had my hard
drive backed up by a local shop but, as it turned out, only a few documents
and photos were backed up - not any programs/software. So, I guess I have a
2-part question: How do I back up the hard drive when I don't have the CD
described, and, Would I expect to have the operating programs (Kodak Picture
Software, for example) backed up along with data?
I realize I have rather a novice at all of this and do apologize in advance.
Thanks..
Sogne

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> 302894 - HOW TO Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302894
>

> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> "Marie" <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E735CE42-0A91-451F-ADEE-8EF3751BE7C6@microsoft.com...
> >I have connected an 80GB external hard-drive. My operating system is XP Pro.
> > I wish to save all files & programs to this new drive.
> >
> > How do I do this please.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Marie

July 26, 2005 11:01:46 AM

Save settings and data with the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST wizard): Go To: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"Sogne" <Sogne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69DB3225-E376-4902-AFDE-D1075B893AFE@microsoft.com...
>I printed this article and it tells me to insert my Windows XP CD into the
> drive, etc., etc. I DO NOT HAVE THIS CD and, as far as I know, never did as
> the Windows operating program was installed when I purchased the computer. I
> am really concerned about backing up my files and programs as I recently had
> to perform a system recovery. Prior to doing this I thought I had my hard
> drive backed up by a local shop but, as it turned out, only a few documents
> and photos were backed up - not any programs/software. So, I guess I have a
> 2-part question: How do I back up the hard drive when I don't have the CD
> described, and, Would I expect to have the operating programs (Kodak Picture
> Software, for example) backed up along with data?
> I realize I have rather a novice at all of this and do apologize in advance.
> Thanks..
> Sogne
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
>
>> 302894 - HOW TO Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302894
>>

>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "Marie" <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E735CE42-0A91-451F-ADEE-8EF3751BE7C6@microsoft.com...
>> >I have connected an 80GB external hard-drive. My operating system is XP Pro.
>> > I wish to save all files & programs to this new drive.
>> >
>> > How do I do this please.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Marie

July 26, 2005 2:16:48 PM

Are there two different original posters here? I see the names "Sogne" and
"Marie". Are you one and the same person?

Assuming you are, and you're planning to use your USB external HD as a
backup device, and I correctly understand what you *really* want to do, I
think you would be best served by using a disk imaging program such as
Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to routinely and
systematically "clone" the contents of your day-to-day working HD to the
USBEHD. It would be an ideal backup system -- relatively simple to use and
quite effective.
Anna

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o GfwSpdkFHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Save settings and data with the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST
> wizard): Go To: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:16:49 PM

Yes, there are 2 different people posting. I an Sogne and I do not have an
external hard drive. I am a true novice who is trying to find a way to back
up both operating programs (Kodak Picture Software,Quicken, etc., for
example) -- as well as the data and/or pictures contained within -- to CD's.
Is this something that is "doable"? I do not even know if it is or is not.
Thanks....
Sogne

"Anna" wrote:

> Are there two different original posters here? I see the names "Sogne" and
> "Marie". Are you one and the same person?
>
> Assuming you are, and you're planning to use your USB external HD as a
> backup device, and I correctly understand what you *really* want to do, I
> think you would be best served by using a disk imaging program such as
> Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to routinely and
> systematically "clone" the contents of your day-to-day working HD to the
> USBEHD. It would be an ideal backup system -- relatively simple to use and
> quite effective.
> Anna

> > Mark L. Ferguson
> > FAQ for Windows Antispy
> > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

> > "Sogne" <Sogne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I printed this article and it tells me to insert my Windows XP CD into the
> >> drive, etc., etc. I DO NOT HAVE THIS CD and, as far as I know, never did
> >> as
> >> the Windows operating program was installed when I purchased the
> >> computer. I
> >> am really concerned about backing up my files and programs as I recently
> >> had
> >> to perform a system recovery. Prior to doing this I thought I had my
> >> hard
> >> drive backed up by a local shop but, as it turned out, only a few
> >> documents
> >> and photos were backed up - not any programs/software. So, I guess I
> >> have a
> >> 2-part question: How do I back up the hard drive when I don't have the
> >> CD
> >> described, and, Would I expect to have the operating programs (Kodak
> >> Picture
> >> Software, for example) backed up along with data?
> >> I realize I have rather a novice at all of this and do apologize in
> >> advance.
> >> Thanks..
> >> Sogne
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o GfwSpdkFHA.3756@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > Save settings and data with the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST
> > wizard): Go To: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

July 26, 2005 6:52:27 PM

> Yes, there are 2 different people posting. I an Sogne and I do not have
> an
> external hard drive. I am a true novice who is trying to find a way to
> back
> up both operating programs (Kodak Picture Software,Quicken, etc., for
> example) -- as well as the data and/or pictures contained within -- to
> CD's.
> Is this something that is "doable"? I do not even know if it is or is
> not.
> Thanks....
> Sogne

Sogne...
Well, now that we've cleared *that* up...

As I previously indicated, in my view the most practical way to back up
one's system, including the operating system and all programs & data is to
use a disk imaging program such as the ones I mentioned to "clone" the
contents of one's day-to-day working HD to another HD (internal or
external). By creating a "clone" of your source disk, you are, in effect,
creating a bit-for-bit copy of that disk. So (in my view) it's about as
near-perfect backup system as the average PC user can get.

The disk cloning process is relatively easy to perform and not terribly
time-consuming. And if the destination drive is an internal HD (as opposed
to a USB/Firewire external HD), you have a bootable drive at your disposal.
(The EHD is *not* bootable in an XP environment, however, the contents of
that drive can be easily cloned back to the original source disk for
restoration purposes should the need arise).

The FAST backup system mentioned by Mark is another option. Its major
limitation is that it doesn't back up your operating system (registry
settings, etc.) - just your programs & created data. I've also found it more
awkward to use than a disk imaging program and really not terribly suitable
for routine backups for which it is not designed. But that's a personal
view, of course. Perhaps that might be more suitable for your particular
needs.
Anna
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 9:04:06 PM

Thank you so very much, Anna, and I will definitely explore the 2 programs
you mention!!
Sogne

!