Backup Files & Programs to external hard-drive ??

I have connected an 80GB external hard-drive. My operating system is XP Pro.
I wish to save all files & programs to this new drive.

How do I do this please.

Regards,
Marie
7 answers Last reply
More about backup files programs external hard drive

    302894 - HOW TO Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302894

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Marie" <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E735CE42-0A91-451F-ADEE-8EF3751BE7C6@microsoft.com...
    >I have connected an 80GB external hard-drive. My operating system is XP Pro.
    > I wish to save all files & programs to this new drive.
    >
    > How do I do this please.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Marie

    I printed this article and it tells me to insert my Windows XP CD into the
    drive, etc., etc. I DO NOT HAVE THIS CD and, as far as I know, never did as
    the Windows operating program was installed when I purchased the computer. I
    am really concerned about backing up my files and programs as I recently had
    to perform a system recovery. Prior to doing this I thought I had my hard
    drive backed up by a local shop but, as it turned out, only a few documents
    and photos were backed up - not any programs/software. So, I guess I have a
    2-part question: How do I back up the hard drive when I don't have the CD
    described, and, Would I expect to have the operating programs (Kodak Picture
    Software, for example) backed up along with data?
    I realize I have rather a novice at all of this and do apologize in advance.
    Thanks..
    Sogne

    Save settings and data with the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST wizard): Go To: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "Sogne" <Sogne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:69DB3225-E376-4902-AFDE-D1075B893AFE@microsoft.com...
    >I printed this article and it tells me to insert my Windows XP CD into the
    > drive, etc., etc. I DO NOT HAVE THIS CD and, as far as I know, never did as
    > the Windows operating program was installed when I purchased the computer. I
    > am really concerned about backing up my files and programs as I recently had
    > to perform a system recovery. Prior to doing this I thought I had my hard
    > drive backed up by a local shop but, as it turned out, only a few documents
    > and photos were backed up - not any programs/software. So, I guess I have a
    > 2-part question: How do I back up the hard drive when I don't have the CD
    > described, and, Would I expect to have the operating programs (Kodak Picture
    > Software, for example) backed up along with data?
    > I realize I have rather a novice at all of this and do apologize in advance.
    > Thanks..
    > Sogne
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> 302894 - HOW TO Install Backup from the CD-ROM in Windows XP Home Edition:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;302894
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    >> "Marie" <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E735CE42-0A91-451F-ADEE-8EF3751BE7C6@microsoft.com...
    >> >I have connected an 80GB external hard-drive. My operating system is XP Pro.
    >> > I wish to save all files & programs to this new drive.
    >> >
    >> > How do I do this please.
    >> >
    >> > Regards,
    >> > Marie

    Are there two different original posters here? I see the names "Sogne" and
    "Marie". Are you one and the same person?

    Assuming you are, and you're planning to use your USB external HD as a
    backup device, and I correctly understand what you *really* want to do, I
    think you would be best served by using a disk imaging program such as
    Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to routinely and
    systematically "clone" the contents of your day-to-day working HD to the
    USBEHD. It would be an ideal backup system -- relatively simple to use and
    quite effective.
    Anna

    "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Save settings and data with the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST
    > wizard): Go To: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Yes, there are 2 different people posting. I an Sogne and I do not have an
    external hard drive. I am a true novice who is trying to find a way to back
    up both operating programs (Kodak Picture Software,Quicken, etc., for
    example) -- as well as the data and/or pictures contained within -- to CD's.
    Is this something that is "doable"? I do not even know if it is or is not.
    Thanks....
    Sogne

    > Yes, there are 2 different people posting. I an Sogne and I do not have
    > an
    > external hard drive. I am a true novice who is trying to find a way to
    > back
    > up both operating programs (Kodak Picture Software,Quicken, etc., for
    > example) -- as well as the data and/or pictures contained within -- to
    > CD's.
    > Is this something that is "doable"? I do not even know if it is or is
    > not.
    > Thanks....
    > Sogne

    Sogne...
    Well, now that we've cleared *that* up...

    As I previously indicated, in my view the most practical way to back up
    one's system, including the operating system and all programs & data is to
    use a disk imaging program such as the ones I mentioned to "clone" the
    contents of one's day-to-day working HD to another HD (internal or
    external). By creating a "clone" of your source disk, you are, in effect,
    creating a bit-for-bit copy of that disk. So (in my view) it's about as
    near-perfect backup system as the average PC user can get.

    The disk cloning process is relatively easy to perform and not terribly
    time-consuming. And if the destination drive is an internal HD (as opposed
    to a USB/Firewire external HD), you have a bootable drive at your disposal.
    (The EHD is *not* bootable in an XP environment, however, the contents of
    that drive can be easily cloned back to the original source disk for
    restoration purposes should the need arise).

    The FAST backup system mentioned by Mark is another option. Its major
    limitation is that it doesn't back up your operating system (registry
    settings, etc.) - just your programs & created data. I've also found it more
    awkward to use than a disk imaging program and really not terribly suitable
    for routine backups for which it is not designed. But that's a personal
    view, of course. Perhaps that might be more suitable for your particular
    needs.
    Anna

    Thank you so very much, Anna, and I will definitely explore the 2 programs
    you mention!!
    Sogne

    "Anna" wrote:

    > >> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >

    > > "Anna" wrote:
    > >> Are there two different original posters here? I see the names "Sogne"
    > >> and
    > >> "Marie". Are you one and the same person?
    > >>
    > >> Assuming you are, and you're planning to use your USB external HD as a
    > >> backup device, and I correctly understand what you *really* want to do, I
    > >> think you would be best served by using a disk imaging program such as
    > >> Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to routinely and
    > >> systematically "clone" the contents of your day-to-day working HD to the
    > >> USBEHD. It would be an ideal backup system -- relatively simple to use
    > >> and
    > >> quite effective.
    > >> Anna
    >

    > "Sogne" <Sogne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes, there are 2 different people posting. I an Sogne and I do not have
    > > an
    > > external hard drive. I am a true novice who is trying to find a way to
    > > back
    > > up both operating programs (Kodak Picture Software,Quicken, etc., for
    > > example) -- as well as the data and/or pictures contained within -- to
    > > CD's.
    > > Is this something that is "doable"? I do not even know if it is or is
    > > not.
    > > Thanks....
    > > Sogne
    >

    > Sogne...
    > Well, now that we've cleared *that* up...
    >
    > As I previously indicated, in my view the most practical way to back up
    > one's system, including the operating system and all programs & data is to
    > use a disk imaging program such as the ones I mentioned to "clone" the
    > contents of one's day-to-day working HD to another HD (internal or
    > external). By creating a "clone" of your source disk, you are, in effect,
    > creating a bit-for-bit copy of that disk. So (in my view) it's about as
    > near-perfect backup system as the average PC user can get.
    >
    > The disk cloning process is relatively easy to perform and not terribly
    > time-consuming. And if the destination drive is an internal HD (as opposed
    > to a USB/Firewire external HD), you have a bootable drive at your disposal.
    > (The EHD is *not* bootable in an XP environment, however, the contents of
    > that drive can be easily cloned back to the original source disk for
    > restoration purposes should the need arise).
    >
    > The FAST backup system mentioned by Mark is another option. Its major
    > limitation is that it doesn't back up your operating system (registry
    > settings, etc.) - just your programs & created data. I've also found it more
    > awkward to use than a disk imaging program and really not terribly suitable
    > for routine backups for which it is not designed. But that's a personal
    > view, of course. Perhaps that might be more suitable for your particular
    > needs.
    > Anna

Backup Microsoft External Hard Drive Windows XP