CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Ok, I have a spare p3 733,motherboard, ram and a raid card. i want to create a server, i want this server to share the net, be up 24/7, and i want it to be able to run an FTP. But here's the catch, if i use windows 2k advance server, or say even windows XP, will i be able to use certain ports on a client PC? when i connect to lets say irc, it uses an Ident port 113, if i can't identify i can't connect, so i'll need port 113 open on a certain pc. Do i have to forward ports or somethin? Thanks in advance..

didnt have one of em electronic pens so ill just type my name,<i>CoOoLMaNX</i>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
You won't have to forward those ports in all likelyhood. Really only to forward stuff for like ftp and things like that. If you do, depending on how you set it up you can forward ports through ICS or through the router.

If you do use a router, make sure you can make a DMZ host with it...as much as i've tried port forwarding with my d-link router it's never worked very well.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
only if someone outside the firewall trys to access the server will you need to forward the correct ports. but for you to access a server from within your firewall you dont need to do anything.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.