Using a USRobitics wireless router with a hub

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 25, 2004 1:16:55 PM

I cannot get hi-speed or cable here, so I use a plain old V90 modem
attached to a 10Mbit Ethernet hub to which I a have two PCs and a
laptop plugged into.
I'd like to get wireless, using an 'on sale!' US Robotics USR8054.
Can I use the Ethernet WAN 'broadband' port on router to daisy-chain
into my 10Mbit 3com hub?
What IS this 'broadband' port? Is it nothing more than a fancy name
for regular 10/100 crossover port you see on daisychaned hubs?
Thanx!
April 25, 2004 1:55:03 PM

No. the WAN port is where you hook into the cable modem. only.

"I. Runner 1322" <indianrunner@indiatimes.com> wrote in message
> I cannot get hi-speed or cable here, so I use a plain old V90 modem
> attached to a 10Mbit Ethernet hub to which I a have two PCs and a
> laptop plugged into.
> I'd like to get wireless, using an 'on sale!' US Robotics USR8054.
> Can I use the Ethernet WAN 'broadband' port on router to daisy-chain
> into my 10Mbit 3com hub?
> What IS this 'broadband' port? Is it nothing more than a fancy name
> for regular 10/100 crossover port you see on daisychaned hubs?
> Thanx!
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 6:01:17 PM

"msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in message news:<20040425125506.393$Ts@news.newsreader.com>...
> No. the WAN port is where you hook into the cable modem. only.
>

> "I. Runner 1322" <indianrunner@indiatimes.com> wrote in message
> > I cannot get hi-speed or cable here, so I use a plain old V90 modem
> > attached to a 10Mbit Ethernet hub to which I a have two PCs and a
> > laptop plugged into.
> > I'd like to get wireless, using an 'on sale!' US Robotics USR8054.
> > Can I use the Ethernet WAN 'broadband' port on router to daisy-chain
> > into my 10Mbit 3com hub?
> > What IS this 'broadband' port? Is it nothing more than a fancy name
> > for regular 10/100 crossover port you see on daisychaned hubs?
> > Thanx!

ONLY a CABLE modem?? Only?
It's not even good for a DSL modem?
Well to heck with the USR router! I'll look
at Linksys or DLink instead.
Maybe I can chain one of them to my 3Com ethernet hub...
Very much thank you.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 3:09:28 AM

On 26 Apr 2004 14:01:17 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless ,
indianrunner@indiatimes.com (I. Runner 1322) wrote:

> ONLY a CABLE modem?? Only?

The whole point about a router is to separate the WAN from the LAN and only
allow specific traffic across it. So you plug the WAN into the WAN port,
not your lan.

> It's not even good for a DSL modem?

You might be able to plug one of those into it, if it was an ethernet
modem. But an ethernet ADSL modem is merely a one-port modem & router in
the same box so it would be a waste of time - you could plug that directly
into your hub.

> Well to heck with the USR router! I'll look
>at Linksys or DLink instead.

They're exactly the same. The WAN port is for connecting the WAN, not a LAN
device. I think you need to understand the purpose of the WAN port.
--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;