Using a USRobitics wireless router with a hub

I cannot get hi-speed or cable here, so I use a plain old V90 modem
attached to a 10Mbit Ethernet hub to which I a have two PCs and a
laptop plugged into.
I'd like to get wireless, using an 'on sale!' US Robotics USR8054.
Can I use the Ethernet WAN 'broadband' port on router to daisy-chain
into my 10Mbit 3com hub?
What IS this 'broadband' port? Is it nothing more than a fancy name
for regular 10/100 crossover port you see on daisychaned hubs?
Thanx!
3 answers Last reply
More about using usrobitics wireless router

    No. the WAN port is where you hook into the cable modem. only.

    "msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in message news:<20040425125506.393$Ts@news.newsreader.com>...
    > No. the WAN port is where you hook into the cable modem. only.
    >

    > "I. Runner 1322" <indianrunner@indiatimes.com> wrote in message
    > > I cannot get hi-speed or cable here, so I use a plain old V90 modem
    > > attached to a 10Mbit Ethernet hub to which I a have two PCs and a
    > > laptop plugged into.
    > > I'd like to get wireless, using an 'on sale!' US Robotics USR8054.
    > > Can I use the Ethernet WAN 'broadband' port on router to daisy-chain
    > > into my 10Mbit 3com hub?
    > > What IS this 'broadband' port? Is it nothing more than a fancy name
    > > for regular 10/100 crossover port you see on daisychaned hubs?
    > > Thanx!

    ONLY a CABLE modem?? Only?
    It's not even good for a DSL modem?
    Well to heck with the USR router! I'll look
    at Linksys or DLink instead.
    Maybe I can chain one of them to my 3Com ethernet hub...
    Very much thank you.

    On 26 Apr 2004 14:01:17 -0700, in alt.internet.wireless ,
    indianrunner@indiatimes.com (I. Runner 1322) wrote:

    > ONLY a CABLE modem?? Only?

    The whole point about a router is to separate the WAN from the LAN and only
    allow specific traffic across it. So you plug the WAN into the WAN port,
    not your lan.

    > It's not even good for a DSL modem?

    You might be able to plug one of those into it, if it was an ethernet
    modem. But an ethernet ADSL modem is merely a one-port modem & router in
    the same box so it would be a waste of time - you could plug that directly
    into your hub.

    > Well to heck with the USR router! I'll look
    >at Linksys or DLink instead.

    They're exactly the same. The WAN port is for connecting the WAN, not a LAN
    device. I think you need to understand the purpose of the WAN port.
    --
    Mark McIntyre

Wireless Router Ethernet Card Wireless Networking