Suse 8.2 Modem

ErnieB

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2003
I have just installed Linux dual boot w/Grub. Modem configuration see's my ext Hayes modem on serial port #1 and I believe i completed config questions correctly.
I start broweser, but modem never dials(no TR). I suspect
it is trying to use my NIC card. This is only used to allow my laptop to get to this system to print in W98.
How do I connect to dial my ISP? Password/DNS have been config'd for the ISP.

Ernie

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Sounds like you need to tell it to use your modem (ppp0) as the default gateway. Sorry I can't give more detail, but I'd imagine there's a SuSE setting for that in YAST.

Edit: Make sure you can dial up manually first.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by poorboy on 09/02/03 02:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ErnieB

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2003
Tks. Sounds logical. This is first time using Linux, so I am very green on this. I searched doc loaded with my default install, but no specific answer on default gateway.When you state manually dial modem... I assume you somehow start a dialer outside the browser. I will be using same ISP
used with W98. Can anyone guide me here? Maybe some pkg is not installed with default?

Ernie

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
You should be able to dial using kppp (I think) - there should be a menu shortcut for it, or maybe an icon on the taskbar. If your modem/ppp stuff is installed, then it something like that should be there.

Once that's been sorted, if it still can't "get out" after dialing have a look in Yast for the NIC config - gateways and so on are usually set there. I'm pretty sure PPP sets the new gateway up anyways, so it shouldn't be a problem once the dialer has connected you.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>

ErnieB

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2003
tks agin poorboy. I was trying too hard with the configuration. Kinternet sets up the modem. Verified by its log. The actual dialout does not happen until you enter a remote URL in the browser. DUH! It is working, but much slower web page loading then W98. The actual connection speed shows about same as W98, but I must have more to do in the modem configs. Tks again for assist. you got me going. I am sure I am struggling, due to just obtaining a
CD set verses a full boxed release from SuSE with all doc.

Ernie

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
No problem. You're actually doing pretty damn well for a Linux first timer.

Yep, there might be some modem init strings that help a little, but the browser might make a difference too. I'm not sure which version of which browser you're using, but Mozilla 1.4 is pretty snappy, as are Galeon and even Opera is a decent option. I've always found Konquerer to be a bit sluggish, but YMMV. Check the log to make sure it's loaded up the ppp compression options too.

<i>Knock Knock, Neo</i>