Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Missing hard drive yet drive letters are correct maybe?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 8:04:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that hard drive
letters were assigned each time the machine booted up & only c & d were
reserved for the operating system & CD/DVD drive & if the number of drives
altered from one boot up to the next these letters could change. The reason
that I ask is that I changed an internal drive which had several partitions
on it only to find that this drive isn't recognized, but even though it
isn't recognized by My Computer or disk management the other partition are
labeled as if this were listed.

I now don't have a an 'e' & 'g' drive listed. But I do have a 'J' & 'k'
listed. Where is my other drive 'e' & 'g' & how do I get to use the data on
them.

I have tried changing BIOS auto detect on & off to no avail. BIOS doesn't
list this drive either. Help?

--
Thanks in advance
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 8:04:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

That is somewhat accurate.

Drive letters are assigned automagically by PnP upon boot. C is reserved but
D is not.

When the system boots up, it looks at the drives and letters in the
registry. If there is a drive and it had a drive letter assigned at last
shutdown, this drive *should* get the same letter. If there is a new drive,
it will you use the next available drive letter.

Did you swap the drive or add the drive? Sounds like you added it and expect
to see all of the partitions?

Paul

"Videot" <notathome@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:eWDqlOJeFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that hard drive
> letters were assigned each time the machine booted up & only c & d were
> reserved for the operating system & CD/DVD drive & if the number of drives
> altered from one boot up to the next these letters could change. The
> reason that I ask is that I changed an internal drive which had several
> partitions on it only to find that this drive isn't recognized, but even
> though it isn't recognized by My Computer or disk management the other
> partition are labeled as if this were listed.
>
> I now don't have a an 'e' & 'g' drive listed. But I do have a 'J' & 'k'
> listed. Where is my other drive 'e' & 'g' & how do I get to use the data
> on them.
>
> I have tried changing BIOS auto detect on & off to no avail. BIOS
> doesn't list this drive either. Help?
>
> --
> Thanks in advance
>
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 8:23:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

As you may be aware - one HD may have primary partitions (Four permitted) -
but "logical" partitions on the same drive overcome that limitation and are
also assigned drive letters.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
Myers, FL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Related resources
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:31:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You can find more information about Partitions, File systems and their
internals and Data Recovery on http://www.datadoctor.biz/drcguide.htm

cheers

Tarun Tyagi
June 25, 2005 9:41:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Videot wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that hard drive
> letters were assigned each time the machine booted up & only c & d were
> reserved for the operating system & CD/DVD drive & if the number of drives
> altered from one boot up to the next these letters could change. The reason
> that I ask is that I changed an internal drive which had several partitions
> on it only to find that this drive isn't recognized, but even though it
> isn't recognized by My Computer or disk management the other partition are
> labeled as if this were listed.
>
> I now don't have a an 'e' & 'g' drive listed. But I do have a 'J' & 'k'
> listed. Where is my other drive 'e' & 'g' & how do I get to use the data on
> them.
>
> I have tried changing BIOS auto detect on & off to no avail. BIOS doesn't
> list this drive either. Help?
>

Its not an error. Its a different hard drive with different signature
regardless if the partition setup is the same as the old. Use
DiskManagement to set things up the way you want them. Unlike the 9X
line XP remembers previous internal hard drive partition assignments. On
the next reboot your changes will stick.

John
June 25, 2005 9:56:52 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

John wrote:

> Videot wrote:
>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that hard drive
>> letters were assigned each time the machine booted up & only c & d
>> were reserved for the operating system & CD/DVD drive & if the number
>> of drives altered from one boot up to the next these letters could
>> change. The reason that I ask is that I changed an internal drive
>> which had several partitions on it only to find that this drive isn't
>> recognized, but even though it isn't recognized by My Computer or disk
>> management the other partition are labeled as if this were listed.
>>
>> I now don't have a an 'e' & 'g' drive listed. But I do have a 'J' &
>> 'k' listed. Where is my other drive 'e' & 'g' & how do I get to use
>> the data on them.
>>
>> I have tried changing BIOS auto detect on & off to no avail. BIOS
>> doesn't list this drive either. Help?
>>
>
> Its not an error. Its a different hard drive with different
> signature regardless if the partition setup is the same as the old. Use
> DiskManagement to set things up the way you want them. Unlike the 9X
> line XP remembers previous internal hard drive partition assignments. On
> the next reboot your changes will stick.
>
> John

Sorry, got caught up in the first part of your post and didn't see the
BIOS thing. The drive may be toast. If BIOS doesn't see it *no* OS will
either.

JOhn
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 1:52:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I took out an old drive that had partitions on it & inserted a new drive
that also had partitions on it. The jumper settings were the same on both.
I still have no idea why 'my computer' displays drive letters with missing
alphabet letters missing or why all drives aren't displayed. How do I fix
the problem?


"Paul Vasquez" <vasquez.paul@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23%23yEAXNeFHA.1384@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> That is somewhat accurate.
>
> Drive letters are assigned automagically by PnP upon boot. C is reserved
> but D is not.
>
> When the system boots up, it looks at the drives and letters in the
> registry. If there is a drive and it had a drive letter assigned at last
> shutdown, this drive *should* get the same letter. If there is a new
> drive, it will you use the next available drive letter.
>
> Did you swap the drive or add the drive? Sounds like you added it and
> expect to see all of the partitions?
>
> Paul
>
> "Videot" <notathome@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> news:eWDqlOJeFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that hard drive
>> letters were assigned each time the machine booted up & only c & d were
>> reserved for the operating system & CD/DVD drive & if the number of
>> drives altered from one boot up to the next these letters could change.
>> The reason that I ask is that I changed an internal drive which had
>> several partitions on it only to find that this drive isn't recognized,
>> but even though it isn't recognized by My Computer or disk management the
>> other partition are labeled as if this were listed.
>>
>> I now don't have a an 'e' & 'g' drive listed. But I do have a 'J' & 'k'
>> listed. Where is my other drive 'e' & 'g' & how do I get to use the data
>> on them.
>>
>> I have tried changing BIOS auto detect on & off to no avail. BIOS
>> doesn't list this drive either. Help?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>
>
!