Monitor Shuts Off by Itself - Graphics Card?

boco0302

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2005
My brother-in-law and I built a computer. Everything seems to run fine, however, when I am playing a game, the monitor goes into sleep mode and can not be woken up (The monitor light turns to orange. Computer must be reset to get monitor back on).

Now, I am pretty sure nothing is overheating. Playing Medieval Total War (I know it's a bit older but...) the temp on the graphics card, CPU and mother board never gets above 50C (about 48C). I also took off the side of the case and aimed a house fan at the mother board. All temps went down 10C and the monitor still went into sleep mode.

I have also adjusted the power setting to never turn anything off.

I have already tried another already working monitor and the same thing happened.

I have not updated my card (or any other) drivers because I have no dial up capability in my newly built computer and I have overclocked nothing.

I just noticed my graphics card (MSI Geforce NX6600GT PCIex TD128E 128MB) has no power connector, to allow power directly from the Power Supply. So I called the card manufacturer and they said the card didn't need one, it would get enough power from the motherboard itself? What do you think? Because another fellow seemed to have the exact same problem as me and fixed it by connecting the card to the power supply (he forgot to).

Is my PSU not good enough?

What the heck is going on? It is very frustrating. Seriously this is annoying.

Here are my specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.4Ghz
1 MSI Geforce NX6600GT PCI express 128mb
Asus K8N4-E Deluxe Mother Board
1 Gig of Ram
1 Seagate 200Gig Hard Drive
Thermaltake Silent Boost K8 fan/heatsink
Antec Smart Power 400W
1 DVD RW Drive and 1 Floppy

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
No one has responded becuase they are probably just as baffled as you or I are. If the card doesn't have a power connector to it, try connecting a 12v molex to the slot on the motherboard (there should be one on newer mobo's). Usually if it doesn't come with the connection directly to the mobo, then it probably has enough power to begin with. That is all I can think of concerning power. This problem is familiar to me becuase it used to happen a long time ago on my HP Pavillion with a Voodoo 3d card. I dont remember how I fixed it :(

<i>I pretend to know what I'm talking about.</i>