Dell Inspiron 7000 monitor question

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

I've set an old Dell Inspiron 7000 to work overnight non-stop. I don't want the
monitor/LCD to burn-in so I've put a small weight on the switch that seem to turn
the monitor off but leve computer running. The LCD appears to be totally black
but with color inspection I can faintly see Windows running programs.

I plan to leve it running for a week. Do I risk LCD burn'in?

No. LCDs do not suffer from burn-in the way CRTs and plasma monitors do.

"123" <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote in message
> I've set an old Dell Inspiron 7000 to work overnight non-stop. I don't
want the
> monitor/LCD to burn-in so I've put a small weight on the switch that seem
to turn
> the monitor off but leve computer running. The LCD appears to be totally
black
> but with color inspection I can faintly see Windows running programs.
>
> I plan to leve it running for a week. Do I risk LCD burn'in?

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> No. LCDs do not suffer from burn-in the way CRTs and plasma monitors do.
>
> "123" <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote in message
>> I've set an old Dell Inspiron 7000 to work overnight non-stop. I don't
> want the
>> monitor/LCD to burn-in so I've put a small weight on the switch that seem
> to turn
>> the monitor off but leve computer running. The LCD appears to be totally
> black
>> but with color inspection I can faintly see Windows running programs.
>>
>> I plan to leve it running for a week. Do I risk LCD burn'in?

LCD *CAN* suffer from burn in
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/lcd-screen-burn.html

Steve

Edward J. Neth wrote:
> No. LCDs do not suffer from burn-in the way CRTs and plasma monitors do.
>
> "123" <bogus@mail.address.com> wrote in message
>
>>I've set an old Dell Inspiron 7000 to work overnight non-stop. I don't
>
> want the
>
>>monitor/LCD to burn-in so I've put a small weight on the switch that seem
>
> to turn
>
>>the monitor off but leve computer running. The LCD appears to be totally
>
> black
>
>>but with color inspection I can faintly see Windows running programs.
>>
>>I plan to leve it running for a week. Do I risk LCD burn'in?

LCD's can burn in (that's why LCD TV's use grey bars, not black), but
it's generally not a major concern (esp. LCD's used in laptops). To the
original poster, if you're running Windows, there's a way to turn off
the monitor via software (Control Panel -> Power Options -> Turn Monitor
Off After X Mins). Personally I beleive this is a major design flaw on
Dell laptops (I run Gentoo Linux and can get a significan boost in
battery time if I compiled things with the LCD off).

configure power options to "do nothing" when the lid is closed and set the
lcd to go off after a few minutes of inactivity. Then compile away.