Installing a bare hard drive in a laptop

aea553

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
I have an HP pavillion with a "problem" hard drive. I bought a replacement (bare) drive and, while I was at it, an OEM version of W7. I installed the drive and the W7 CD and turned it on. It loaded windows files up to a point and then said to find the driver for the hard drive. I copied the drivers and SW Setup folder onto a CD and replaced the W7 CD with it to load the drivers, but it didn't see them (No driver found). I feel like I'm in an old bootstrap dilemma. What am I missing? Do I have to format the new drive first, and if so, how? Is there a utility in the boot ROM on my PC? Any help is appreciated.

Solution

Lucky old you - you won't have to spend hours deleting all the rubbish that comes with being "supported" by HP. :D[/#000ff]

aea553

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010

Thanks for the input. There was no custom install option. Everything proceeded automatically from loading the CD to "find the driver." As it turned out, just clicking "NEXT" at that point proceeded to finish the installation.

aea553

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
I appreciate all of the input. When it got to the "find the driver" message, I eventually hit "Next" even though it was dim. To my surprise it completed the installation. I installed W7 Professional and have been very pleased with it. To my dismay, I found that HP does not support W7 on this model, so I haven't been able to download driver updates.

Lucky old you - you won't have to spend hours deleting all the rubbish that comes with being "supported" by HP. :D[/#000ff]

Solution