no access to windows

My pc, when started, boots up normally. The welcome music plays and the
start bar pops up (for a split second) and all that remains is a blue screen
(not the blue screen of death, it is the background to my desktop), no start
bar and no icons...I and ctrl-alt-delete and get to a task manager and from
there get to the "run" command. From there I could share my c drive and it
is available to the network and if I leave it alone my screen saver works. I
have done a repair and have reinstalled windows but it does not fix the
problem...I'm sure it would be fixed if I formatted and did a completely new
install but I am trying to avoid that.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Damon Collins
Orlando, FL 32806

Damon,

Have you tried to boot into safe mode by pressing F8 at boot up?

Once you get into safe mode, disable any 3rd party services in the Services
Control Panel then boot into normal mode. This way you can start ruling out
rogue services.

Paul

"Damon Collins" <damon@argusc.com> wrote in message
> My pc, when started, boots up normally. The welcome music plays and the
> start bar pops up (for a split second) and all that remains is a blue
> screen (not the blue screen of death, it is the background to my desktop),
> no start bar and no icons...I and ctrl-alt-delete and get to a task
> manager and from there get to the "run" command. From there I could share
> my c drive and it is available to the network and if I leave it alone my
> screen saver works. I have done a repair and have reinstalled windows but
> it does not fix the problem...I'm sure it would be fixed if I formatted
> and did a completely new install but I am trying to avoid that.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Damon Collins
> Orlando, FL 32806

Yes...and it will not boot up in safe mode...it gets to the same
point...also, if I try to 'run' explorer . It flashes the start bar (like on
boot up) and it goes away.