Startup

I've spent HOURS getting my PC just nice, and the other day when booting it
did a checkdisk and found some bad clusters, since then I haven't been able
to boot into XP it started booting and got to a light blue screen with my
mouse pointer on it and just stopped there (no login screen), I tried
replacing the kernel32.dll file (article on microsoft.com) but now it just
contilually reboots, should I cahage back to my old kernel32.dll? is there a
way to see which files were damaged during the chkdisk and replacing them?
Thanks
Steven
2 answers Last reply
More about startup

    Sounds like a corrupted or missing file. Try doing a Windows XP Repair from
    the CD and see if that fixes your problem.

    Brett
    "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've spent HOURS getting my PC just nice, and the other day when booting
    > it
    > did a checkdisk and found some bad clusters, since then I haven't been
    > able
    > to boot into XP it started booting and got to a light blue screen with my
    > mouse pointer on it and just stopped there (no login screen), I tried
    > replacing the kernel32.dll file (article on microsoft.com) but now it just
    > contilually reboots, should I cahage back to my old kernel32.dll? is there
    > way to see which files were damaged during the chkdisk and replacing them?
    > Thanks
    > Steven

    Thanks Brett,
    I didn't know XP had that option, tried it over the weekend and it worked
    well! just a few software reinstalls/repairs I had to do afterwords.
    Steven

    "Brett Bowdring" wrote:

    > Sounds like a corrupted or missing file. Try doing a Windows XP Repair from
    > the CD and see if that fixes your problem.
    >
    > Brett
    > "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've spent HOURS getting my PC just nice, and the other day when booting
    > > it
    > > did a checkdisk and found some bad clusters, since then I haven't been
    > > able
    > > to boot into XP it started booting and got to a light blue screen with my
    > > mouse pointer on it and just stopped there (no login screen), I tried
    > > replacing the kernel32.dll file (article on microsoft.com) but now it just
    > > contilually reboots, should I cahage back to my old kernel32.dll? is there
    > > way to see which files were damaged during the chkdisk and replacing them?
    > > Thanks
    > > Steven

Microsoft Windows XP