No Internet connection

I have decided to go with Norton's A/V and Internet Security package. It was
installed and the Live Update run and completed (so I know I had Internet
connection at that time). Because I went w/ Norton's I decided to remove
McAfee. It came w/ the computer and I wasn't using it. McAfee was removed
through Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. After removing McAfee I cannot
access the Internet. Any ideas? I did attempt to go back to an earlier
restore point with no luck.

Jean
10 answers Last reply
More about internet connection

    what error do you get when trying to connect?
    what type of net connection? dialup DSL cable?

    --
    faulksy

    I'm at work...the problem is w/ the home computer. Anyway I get the "The page
    cannot be displayed" I have cable connection. I'm thinking it's a setting
    somewhere that got changed during the McAfee uninstasll. I'm stumped.

    Thanks, Jean

    "faulksy" wrote:

    > what error do you get when trying to connect?
    > what type of net connection? dialup DSL cable?
    >

    > --
    > faulksy

    try powercycling modem

    if that dont work i would then disable nortons

    --
    faulksy

    thanks.

    Jean

    "faulksy" wrote:

    > try powercycling modem
    >
    > if that dont work i would then disable nortons
    >

    > --
    > faulksy

    I have disabled Norton's Internet Security with no luck. I have checked the
    connection settings and the network is connected, I just can't get onto the
    Internet. Because I was able to do a Live Update after I installed Nortons I
    believe that Nortons is not the problem, however, after I uninstalled McAfee,
    I haven't been able to connect. I really don't think uninstalling McAfee
    would do this, I think a setting somewhere got changed...I just can't find
    it. Any ideas?

    Jean

    "jmm48" wrote:

    > thanks.
    >
    > Jean
    >
    > "faulksy" wrote:
    >

    > > try powercycling modem
    > >
    > > if that dont work i would then disable nortons
    > >

    > > --
    > > faulksy

    Tried disabling Nortons with no luck. After installing Nortons I was able to
    do a Live Update and therefore was connected to the Internet. The next day I
    uninstalled McAfee and cannot connect. Connection settings show the computer
    is connected to the wireless network, the computer just won't connect to the
    Internet. I don't think uninstalling McAfee would do this, and maybe a
    setting got changed somewhere...I just can't find it. Any ideas???

    Thanks,
    Jean

    "jmm48" wrote:

    > thanks.
    >
    > Jean
    >
    > "faulksy" wrote:
    >

    > > try powercycling modem
    > >
    > > if that dont work i would then disable nortons
    > >

    > > --
    > > faulksy

    See if this will help..
    XP Winsock fix

    "jmm48" <jmm48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Tried disabling Nortons with no luck. After installing Nortons I was
    able to
    | do a Live Update and therefore was connected to the Internet. The
    next day I
    | uninstalled McAfee and cannot connect. Connection settings show the
    computer
    | is connected to the wireless network, the computer just won't
    connect to the
    | Internet. I don't think uninstalling McAfee would do this, and maybe
    | setting got changed somewhere...I just can't find it. Any ideas???
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Jean
    |
    | "jmm48" wrote:
    |
    | > thanks.
    | >
    | > Jean
    | >
    | > "faulksy" wrote:
    | >

    | > > try powercycling modem
    | > >
    | > > if that dont work i would then disable nortons
    | > >

    | > > --
    | > > faulksy

    Thanks,
    I had a problem with the computer wanting to start in safe mode....did a
    device manager check and found a bad driver from Symantec...don't know if
    there's a connection...found it odd there was another problem w/ Nortons. I
    have decided to completely uninstall and reimstall Nortons. I will let you
    know how that works. Ricky, I will also keep your spychecker info handy if
    the uninstall doesn't work.

    Jean

    "Ricky" wrote:

    > See if this will help..
    > XP Winsock fix
    > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    >
    > "jmm48" <jmm48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Tried disabling Nortons with no luck. After installing Nortons I was
    > able to
    > | do a Live Update and therefore was connected to the Internet. The
    > next day I
    > | uninstalled McAfee and cannot connect. Connection settings show the
    > computer
    > | is connected to the wireless network, the computer just won't
    > connect to the
    > | Internet. I don't think uninstalling McAfee would do this, and maybe
    > | setting got changed somewhere...I just can't find it. Any ideas???
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > | Jean
    > |
    > | "jmm48" wrote:
    > |
    > | > thanks.
    > | >
    > | > Jean

    Just uninstalled Nortons and now have Internet capability. I am still having
    problems with starting into safe mode. Will be reinstalling Nortons and see
    how it goes.

    Jean

    "jmm48" wrote:

    > Thanks,
    > I had a problem with the computer wanting to start in safe mode....did a
    > device manager check and found a bad driver from Symantec...don't know if
    > there's a connection...found it odd there was another problem w/ Nortons. I
    > have decided to completely uninstall and reimstall Nortons. I will let you
    > know how that works. Ricky, I will also keep your spychecker info handy if
    > the uninstall doesn't work.
    >
    > Jean
    >
    > "Ricky" wrote:
    >
    > > See if this will help..
    > > XP Winsock fix
    > > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    > >
    > > "jmm48" <jmm48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > | Tried disabling Nortons with no luck. After installing Nortons I was
    > > able to
    > > | do a Live Update and therefore was connected to the Internet. The
    > > next day I
    > > | uninstalled McAfee and cannot connect. Connection settings show the
    > > computer
    > > | is connected to the wireless network, the computer just won't
    > > connect to the
    > > | Internet. I don't think uninstalling McAfee would do this, and maybe
    > > | setting got changed somewhere...I just can't find it. Any ideas???
    > > |
    > > | Thanks,
    > > | Jean

    reinstalled Nortons and all seems well...I have Internet capability and the
    computer is starting normally....Yaeh :-)

    "jmm48" wrote:

    > Just uninstalled Nortons and now have Internet capability. I am still having
    > problems with starting into safe mode. Will be reinstalling Nortons and see
    > how it goes.
    >
    > Jean
    >
    > "jmm48" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks,
    > > I had a problem with the computer wanting to start in safe mode....did a
    > > device manager check and found a bad driver from Symantec...don't know if
    > > there's a connection...found it odd there was another problem w/ Nortons. I
    > > have decided to completely uninstall and reimstall Nortons. I will let you
    > > know how that works. Ricky, I will also keep your spychecker info handy if
    > > the uninstall doesn't work.
    > >
    > > Jean
    > >
    > > "Ricky" wrote:
    > >
    > > > See if this will help..