  • McAfee
  • Internet Connection
  • Windows XP
June 24, 2005 10:43:04 AM

I have decided to go with Norton's A/V and Internet Security package. It was
installed and the Live Update run and completed (so I know I had Internet
connection at that time). Because I went w/ Norton's I decided to remove
McAfee. It came w/ the computer and I wasn't using it. McAfee was removed
through Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. After removing McAfee I cannot
access the Internet. Any ideas? I did attempt to go back to an earlier
restore point with no luck.

Jean

More about : internet connection

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:16:50 AM

what error do you get when trying to connect?
what type of net connection? dialup DSL cable?

--
faulksy
Anonymous

I'm at work...the problem is w/ the home computer. Anyway I get the "The page
cannot be displayed" I have cable connection. I'm thinking it's a setting
somewhere that got changed during the McAfee uninstasll. I'm stumped.

Thanks, Jean

"faulksy" wrote:

> what error do you get when trying to connect?
> what type of net connection? dialup DSL cable?
>

> --
> faulksy

June 25, 2005 6:27:42 AM

try powercycling modem

if that dont work i would then disable nortons

--
faulksy
Anonymous

thanks.

Jean

"faulksy" wrote:

> try powercycling modem
>
> if that dont work i would then disable nortons
>

> --
> faulksy

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:35:02 PM

I have disabled Norton's Internet Security with no luck. I have checked the
connection settings and the network is connected, I just can't get onto the
Internet. Because I was able to do a Live Update after I installed Nortons I
believe that Nortons is not the problem, however, after I uninstalled McAfee,
I haven't been able to connect. I really don't think uninstalling McAfee
would do this, I think a setting somewhere got changed...I just can't find
it. Any ideas?

Jean

"jmm48" wrote:

> thanks.
>
> Jean
>
> "faulksy" wrote:
>

> > try powercycling modem
> >
> > if that dont work i would then disable nortons
> >

> > --
> > faulksy

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 2:41:02 PM

Tried disabling Nortons with no luck. After installing Nortons I was able to
do a Live Update and therefore was connected to the Internet. The next day I
uninstalled McAfee and cannot connect. Connection settings show the computer
is connected to the wireless network, the computer just won't connect to the
Internet. I don't think uninstalling McAfee would do this, and maybe a
setting got changed somewhere...I just can't find it. Any ideas???

Thanks,
Jean

"jmm48" wrote:

> thanks.
>
> Jean
>
> "faulksy" wrote:
>

> > try powercycling modem
> >
> > if that dont work i would then disable nortons
> >

> > --
> > faulksy

June 25, 2005 5:07:17 PM

See if this will help..
XP Winsock fix

"jmm48" <jmm48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Tried disabling Nortons with no luck. After installing Nortons I was
able to
| do a Live Update and therefore was connected to the Internet. The
next day I
| uninstalled McAfee and cannot connect. Connection settings show the
computer
| is connected to the wireless network, the computer just won't
connect to the
| Internet. I don't think uninstalling McAfee would do this, and maybe
| setting got changed somewhere...I just can't find it. Any ideas???
|
| Thanks,
| Jean
|
| "jmm48" wrote:
|
| > thanks.
| >
| > Jean
| >
| > "faulksy" wrote:
| >

| > > try powercycling modem
| > >
| > > if that dont work i would then disable nortons
| > >

| > > --
| > > faulksy

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:07:18 PM

Thanks,
I had a problem with the computer wanting to start in safe mode....did a
device manager check and found a bad driver from Symantec...don't know if
there's a connection...found it odd there was another problem w/ Nortons. I
have decided to completely uninstall and reimstall Nortons. I will let you
know how that works. Ricky, I will also keep your spychecker info handy if
the uninstall doesn't work.

Jean

"Ricky" wrote:

> See if this will help..
> XP Winsock fix
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
>
> "jmm48" <jmm48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Tried disabling Nortons with no luck. After installing Nortons I was
> able to
> | do a Live Update and therefore was connected to the Internet. The
> next day I
> | uninstalled McAfee and cannot connect. Connection settings show the
> computer
> | is connected to the wireless network, the computer just won't
> connect to the
> | Internet. I don't think uninstalling McAfee would do this, and maybe
> | setting got changed somewhere...I just can't find it. Any ideas???
> |
> | Thanks,
> | Jean
> |
> | "jmm48" wrote:
> |
> | > thanks.
> | >
> | > Jean

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:07:19 PM

Just uninstalled Nortons and now have Internet capability. I am still having
problems with starting into safe mode. Will be reinstalling Nortons and see
how it goes.

Jean

"jmm48" wrote:

> Thanks,
> I had a problem with the computer wanting to start in safe mode....did a
> device manager check and found a bad driver from Symantec...don't know if
> there's a connection...found it odd there was another problem w/ Nortons. I
> have decided to completely uninstall and reimstall Nortons. I will let you
> know how that works. Ricky, I will also keep your spychecker info handy if
> the uninstall doesn't work.
>
> Jean
>
> "Ricky" wrote:
>
> > See if this will help..
> > XP Winsock fix
> > http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
> >
> > "jmm48" <jmm48@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > | Tried disabling Nortons with no luck. After installing Nortons I was
> > able to
> > | do a Live Update and therefore was connected to the Internet. The
> > next day I
> > | uninstalled McAfee and cannot connect. Connection settings show the
> > computer
> > | is connected to the wireless network, the computer just won't
> > connect to the
> > | Internet. I don't think uninstalling McAfee would do this, and maybe
> > | setting got changed somewhere...I just can't find it. Any ideas???
> > |
> > | Thanks,
> > | Jean

Anonymous
June 25, 2005 5:07:20 PM

reinstalled Nortons and all seems well...I have Internet capability and the
computer is starting normally....Yaeh :-)