Bally SpyHunter Restoration Help

red

Before I started my restoration of my Bally SpyHunter Video Arcade, I
took numerous digital close up pictures of the wireing harnesses and
board layout and saved them to my PC....My harddrive crashed and I lost
all the pictures.

I now have a guted machine and no idea where the cards mount or which
wire harnesses go to which cards.

If anyone has a Spyhunter, I could really use your help with some close
up pictures of card layout and cables.

Thanks

Just line up the boards with the amount of screw holes inside the
cabinet.

John

Maybe you can find a manual online somewhere. Normally the have good
diagrams of the inside of machines.

red

Tried that first. spent an hour and could only get 1 card to match.
Many of the cards only had one or two screws holding them. I thought it
would be easy to lay the cabinet on its side, lay out the cards - and
like a jigsaw puzzle, move them around until I had them aligned. NO
WAY....If I knew how the two main wire harnesses were installed, I
could reinstall those and then install the cards close enough to their
connectors....a real mess

red

I downloaded the manual from
http://www.klov.com/game_list.php?letter=S&type=Videogame before I
started the restoration.... it has everything BUT diagrams of the
inside layout of parts - hence my digital pictures of all the cards and
closeups of the wiring harness & connectors. This was the only site I
could find. Let me know if your aware of another site that has
pictures.....thanks

red

Zinfer....great pictures...definite step in the right direction....Any
idea how to contact the author???? I only see the first page of
pictures and would like to get his help especially on how he replaced
the power supply with a new switching unit (not to mention all the
debugging of problems)

Try: http://71.65.80.123/spyhunter.htm
Hope that helps.

On 27 Aug 2005 20:15:34 -0700, "Red" <kjgcsmith@gmail.com> wrote:

>Before I started my restoration of my Bally SpyHunter Video Arcade, I
>took numerous digital close up pictures of the wireing harnesses and
>board layout and saved them to my PC....My harddrive crashed and I lost
>all the pictures.
>
>I now have a guted machine and no idea where the cards mount or which
>wire harnesses go to which cards.
>
>If anyone has a Spyhunter, I could really use your help with some close
>up pictures of card layout and cables.
>
>Thanks

I haven't touched that cabinet in over a year. Had a couple other
projects in front of it. That is all that I've completed so far. I
haven't switched out the power supply so I don't know where you got
that from. That's the original power supply and I plan on keeping it
original. I am going to try to remove those huge capacitors and get
the ps back to stock as much as I can. A wait time of 10 minutes for
the capacitors to charge up is just unacceptable.
I can take explicit pictures of any components however take it with a
grain of salt as it hasn't yet been restored. I know for fact the
yellow ground strap is not routed in the proper directions. I'm sure
there's other things, but like I said it's been a year since I've laid
eyes on it.
I can send images to your email if needed.

On 28 Aug 2005 08:45:17 -0700, "Red" <kjgcsmith@gmail.com> wrote:

>Zinfer....great pictures...definite step in the right direction....Any
>idea how to contact the author???? I only see the first page of
>pictures and would like to get his help especially on how he replaced
>the power supply with a new switching unit (not to mention all the
>debugging of problems)

newbie

Hey Red,
I have an upright Spy Hunter that I just got going and can help too if
you need it.... I took pictures of mine for you but it looks like
Zinfer's would help out just as much. I really enjoyed that write-up
that he did......part of the reason I took on my Spy Hunter project!

Thanks Zinfer for the headaches! Just kidding! :)

TS

Yea thanks for the headache indeed! :)
After Red's question I regained an interest in the project. Added a
couple new updated shots to the site. I think my biggest problem with
that project is the monitor not working. Going to have to take it out
and work on it. It plays blind. Going to have to pick up a pattern
generator or something to work on these monitors on my bench. Can't
find any good monitor guys in this neck of the woods.
What monitor is stock in a SH? I can't find any identifiers on the
board or frame.
Glad to help TS. I'll have more headaches for you soon. Getting the
bright idea for Tapper, Timber, Gauntlet and Battlezone projects as
soon as I locate the cabs. :D

On 28 Aug 2005 21:54:19 -0700, "Newbie" <tschrock@cox.net> wrote:

>Hey Red,
>I have an upright Spy Hunter that I just got going and can help too if
>you need it.... I took pictures of mine for you but it looks like
>Zinfer's would help out just as much. I really enjoyed that write-up
>that he did......part of the reason I took on my Spy Hunter project!
>
>Thanks Zinfer for the headaches! Just kidding! :)
>
>TS

newbie

I have one working Spy Hunter and 3 parts machines. Although I plan on
making another working one out of the 3. Of the 4 total machines, 3
have an Electrohome G07 and one had a Wells 4900. So I would guess
there wasn't a "standard" monitor that they put in it, just whatever
they had beside them at the time. Have you taken your video cable and
plugged it into a known good monitor and turned the game on? It may not
be your monitor but may be something on the video board.

Ted

Nope, I tried working on the monitor, noticed it was missing a
transistor. Installed a like transistor and it still hadn't worked.
I think that's where I went on to another project. That's a good
suggestion. I have one monitor out of a frontline cab that I've used
to test a Top Gunner cab. I may just try that one.
Seriously need to just strip the Spy Hunter cab down and begin
restoring it one part at a time. At that time I plan on getting the
power supply right and get rid of those huge capacitors.
I did manage to put some time into it last night and a little today.
The side panel art really needs replaced as there's quite a few cuts
and gouges, but there's nothing that's been reproduced out there. Used
Krud Kutter to clean one sidepanel and peeled off the old sideart
sticker and some Goof Off to get the adhesive off. The Krud Kutter
REALLY did a good job of getting all the tobacco tar and grease off
the sidepanel but the real payoff came when using a stripper brush
with vinyl bristles. Still a little discolored. Tried a little
bleach to see what that would do. Nothing. Not sure if that little
box of Spy Hunter sideart is still reproduced but I'm not
understanding why it was made to be smaller rather than an exact
reproduction. The sideart was in really bad shape. Faded, scratched,
drawn on, gouged. The one gouge went through the sideart, through the
vinyl sideart and into the cabs' wood.
If the option was available and reproduced, I'd pick up the entire
sideapanel's artwork as well as the sideart to do it right.
Did you have some pics available on your steps to restoration?

On 29 Aug 2005 06:06:09 -0700, "Newbie" <tschrock@cox.net> wrote:

>I have one working Spy Hunter and 3 parts machines. Although I plan on
>making another working one out of the 3. Of the 4 total machines, 3
>have an Electrohome G07 and one had a Wells 4900. So I would guess
>there wasn't a "standard" monitor that they put in it, just whatever
>they had beside them at the time. Have you taken your video cable and
>plugged it into a known good monitor and turned the game on? It may not
>be your monitor but may be something on the video board.
>
>Ted

newbie

Hey,
No pics of my restoration process...actually the Spy Hunter I have
working was in pretty decent shape when I got it. Had to clean/reseat
the PCB set and install new SCSI cables, rebuild the Power Supply
board, replace one of the large capacitators in the power supply and
recap the monitor that was about it. Cosmetically, my side art stickers
were faded out and somewhere in it's life the edges must have been
peeling too because someone used a razor to "straighten" up the edges.
Well, when I went to peel the sticker off, because someone outlined it
with a razor, it pulled the sticker and sideart completely off right
down to the wood. So now I have one side with a perfect square of wood
showing. I hope I can get a set of side decals that will cover the
hole. I too wish someone would produce complete side art to replace the
white/stripes. It would make it look better than repainting it all
white or trying to add the stripes later with paint.
I got real lucky on the Spy Hunter I have up and running because even
the cheap squeak board sings like it was new. Nothing like the Spy
Hunter theme coming through crystal clear. Let me know what you find
when you hook up a known good monitor.
Ted

red

Hey Guys.....been out of town for a while....couple of things since out
last discussion...

My SpyHunter had a Wells Gardner 19K4956 monitor...looks like the
original for the game...it had a broken neck PCB, so I replaced it and
installed a new cap kit but then found 3 of the metal pins that the neck
PCB plugs into were bent/missing so I gave up and bought a new monitor
(still in the box).

Tried to look at the pictures again at http://71.65.80.123/spyhunter.htm
but I keep getting a DNS error saying the page cannot be found. Is this
site still valid? Need to see where those cards need to be mounted and
how to run the wire harnesses.

Next weekend I plan to run down to the electronic supply store and get
new connectors for the wire harnesses. Some of the wires are broken at
the connectors so I may as well replace the pins/connectors.

To avoid the long power up problem I decided to bypass the old
capacitors and MCR board and get a new switching power supply and a card
to replace the MCR board. This is the site with the MCR Switcher
adapter http://www.wizzesworkshop.com/cart/product.asp?intProdID=26

When I get it all connected I will let you know how it works.

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

william

Is this an upright machine? If so I have one and could take some digi pics
for you.

"Red" <kjgcsmith@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey Guys.....been out of town for a while....couple of things since out
> last discussion...
>
> My SpyHunter had a Wells Gardner 19K4956 monitor...looks like the
> original for the game...it had a broken neck PCB, so I replaced it and
> installed a new cap kit but then found 3 of the metal pins that the neck
> PCB plugs into were bent/missing so I gave up and bought a new monitor
> (still in the box).
>
> Tried to look at the pictures again at http://71.65.80.123/spyhunter.htm
> but I keep getting a DNS error saying the page cannot be found. Is this
> site still valid? Need to see where those cards need to be mounted and
> how to run the wire harnesses.
>
> Next weekend I plan to run down to the electronic supply store and get
> new connectors for the wire harnesses. Some of the wires are broken at
> the connectors so I may as well replace the pins/connectors.
>
> To avoid the long power up problem I decided to bypass the old
> capacitors and MCR board and get a new switching power supply and a card
> to replace the MCR board. This is the site with the MCR Switcher
> adapter http://www.wizzesworkshop.com/cart/product.asp?intProdID=26
>
> When I get it all connected I will let you know how it works.
>
> --
> Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
> http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Sorry about that, roadrunners beens screwing around with rotating IP's
so fast my head is spinning. Try this, but get what you need as the
IP will change quickly.
http://24.210.163.231/spyhunter.htm

Hope to have the domain name back soon.

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:32:05 GMT, Red <kjgcsmith@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hey Guys.....been out of town for a while....couple of things since out
>last discussion...
>
>My SpyHunter had a Wells Gardner 19K4956 monitor...looks like the
>original for the game...it had a broken neck PCB, so I replaced it and
>installed a new cap kit but then found 3 of the metal pins that the neck
>PCB plugs into were bent/missing so I gave up and bought a new monitor
>(still in the box).
>
>Tried to look at the pictures again at http://71.65.80.123/spyhunter.htm
>but I keep getting a DNS error saying the page cannot be found. Is this
>site still valid? Need to see where those cards need to be mounted and
>how to run the wire harnesses.
>
>Next weekend I plan to run down to the electronic supply store and get
>new connectors for the wire harnesses. Some of the wires are broken at
>the connectors so I may as well replace the pins/connectors.
>
>To avoid the long power up problem I decided to bypass the old
>capacitors and MCR board and get a new switching power supply and a card
>to replace the MCR board. This is the site with the MCR Switcher
>adapter http://www.wizzesworkshop.com/cart/product.asp?intProdID=26
>
>When I get it all connected I will let you know how it works.
>
>--
>Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
>http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

You can store pics here if you want:

http://www.arcadepics.com/4images/

It's free and there is no need to register

"Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sorry about that, roadrunners beens screwing around with rotating IP's
> so fast my head is spinning. Try this, but get what you need as the
> IP will change quickly.
> http://24.210.163.231/spyhunter.htm
>
> Hope to have the domain name back soon.
>
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:32:05 GMT, Red <kjgcsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hey Guys.....been out of town for a while....couple of things since out
>>last discussion...
>>
>>My SpyHunter had a Wells Gardner 19K4956 monitor...looks like the
>>original for the game...it had a broken neck PCB, so I replaced it and
>>installed a new cap kit but then found 3 of the metal pins that the neck
>>PCB plugs into were bent/missing so I gave up and bought a new monitor
>>(still in the box).
>>
>>Tried to look at the pictures again at http://71.65.80.123/spyhunter.htm
>>but I keep getting a DNS error saying the page cannot be found. Is this
>>site still valid? Need to see where those cards need to be mounted and
>>how to run the wire harnesses.
>>
>>Next weekend I plan to run down to the electronic supply store and get
>>new connectors for the wire harnesses. Some of the wires are broken at
>>the connectors so I may as well replace the pins/connectors.
>>
>>To avoid the long power up problem I decided to bypass the old
>>capacitors and MCR board and get a new switching power supply and a card
>>to replace the MCR board. This is the site with the MCR Switcher
>>adapter http://www.wizzesworkshop.com/cart/product.asp?intProdID=26
>>
>>When I get it all connected I will let you know how it works.
>>
>>--
>>Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
>>http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Well, images is one thing. Storing a site is another. :)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:20:30 -0400, "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote:

>You can store pics here if you want:
>
>http://www.arcadepics.com/4images/
>
>It's free and there is no need to register
>

>"Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry about that, roadrunners beens screwing around with rotating IP's
>> so fast my head is spinning. Try this, but get what you need as the
>> IP will change quickly.
>> http://24.210.163.231/spyhunter.htm
>>
>> Hope to have the domain name back soon.
>>
>> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:32:05 GMT, Red <kjgcsmith@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hey Guys.....been out of town for a while....couple of things since out
>>>last discussion...
>>>
>>>My SpyHunter had a Wells Gardner 19K4956 monitor...looks like the
>>>original for the game...it had a broken neck PCB, so I replaced it and
>>>installed a new cap kit but then found 3 of the metal pins that the neck
>>>PCB plugs into were bent/missing so I gave up and bought a new monitor
>>>(still in the box).
>>>
>>>Tried to look at the pictures again at http://71.65.80.123/spyhunter.htm
>>>but I keep getting a DNS error saying the page cannot be found. Is this
>>>site still valid? Need to see where those cards need to be mounted and
>>>how to run the wire harnesses.
>>>
>>>Next weekend I plan to run down to the electronic supply store and get
>>>new connectors for the wire harnesses. Some of the wires are broken at
>>>the connectors so I may as well replace the pins/connectors.
>>>
>>>To avoid the long power up problem I decided to bypass the old
>>>capacitors and MCR board and get a new switching power supply and a card
>>>to replace the MCR board. This is the site with the MCR Switcher
>>>adapter http://www.wizzesworkshop.com/cart/product.asp?intProdID=26
>>>
>>>When I get it all connected I will let you know how it works.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
>>>http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Register a domain, and I will host it for free. I host about a dozen sites
for other collectors. Just email me the domain name and I will set it up.

> Well, images is one thing. Storing a site is another. :)
>
> On Sun, 18 Sep 2005 13:20:30 -0400, "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote:
>
>>You can store pics here if you want:
>>
>>http://www.arcadepics.com/4images/
>>
>>It's free and there is no need to register
>>

>>"Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Sorry about that, roadrunners beens screwing around with rotating IP's
>>> so fast my head is spinning. Try this, but get what you need as the
>>> IP will change quickly.
>>> http://24.210.163.231/spyhunter.htm
>>>
>>> Hope to have the domain name back soon.

I don't know Chuck. I have an AWFUL lot of images buddy. :D
Let me know if you want to see my current site and I'll send the IP.
I really have too many images as a restoration site to be hosted by
anyone.