WTB/T working Ms Pac man wiring harness

Hello All,
Try this again. I bought one from someone in CT and got my ass burnt. So i
am asking if someone honest will sell me a complete uncut working (working
thats the key word) Ms pacman harness and transformer. Again needs to be
100% working. I have a few things to offer in trade or can send cash either
way please LMK. Shipping will be to Roanoke VA 24019

thanks Jeff

That someone would be me. What is wrong with the one I sent you?

"Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
> Hello All,
> Try this again. I bought one from someone in CT and got my ass burnt. So
> i am asking if someone honest will sell me a complete uncut working
> (working thats the key word) Ms pacman harness and transformer. Again
> needs to be 100% working. I have a few things to offer in trade or can
> send cash either way please LMK. Shipping will be to Roanoke VA 24019
>
> thanks Jeff

I agree....Edge connector plugged in backwards maybe?

Troy

It fried 2 working board sets??? I used everything new from your harness.
This was a customers game that i was fixing and fried her board set as well
as my spare?? I trust everyone on this group for i don't know a lot about
fixing thingd and until now never got burnt. Now i am out a board and have
to pay to have hers repaired

Jeff

"Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
> That someone would be me. What is wrong with the one I sent you?
>

> "Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Hello All,
>> Try this again. I bought one from someone in CT and got my ass burnt.
>> So i am asking if someone honest will sell me a complete uncut working
>> (working thats the key word) Ms pacman harness and transformer. Again
>> needs to be 100% working. I have a few things to offer in trade or can
>> send cash either way please LMK. Shipping will be to Roanoke VA 24019
>>
>> thanks Jeff

I don't see how a wiring harness could fry a board set unless it was
installed wrong or something was awry with your power supply. The worst
that could happen with the wiring harness is if you had a bad contact it
wouldn't work imo.

Thomas

> It fried 2 working board sets??? I used everything new from your harness.
> This was a customers game that i was fixing and fried her board set as
> well as my spare?? I trust everyone on this group for i don't know a lot
> about fixing thingd and until now never got burnt. Now i am out a board
> and have to pay to have hers repaired
>
> Jeff
>
> "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
>> That someone would be me. What is wrong with the one I sent you?
>>

>> "Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello All,
>>> Try this again. I bought one from someone in CT and got my ass burnt.
>>> So i am asking if someone honest will sell me a complete uncut working
>>> (working thats the key word) Ms pacman harness and transformer. Again
>>> needs to be 100% working. I have a few things to offer in trade or can
>>> send cash either way please LMK. Shipping will be to Roanoke VA 24019
>>>
>>> thanks Jeff

I took that out of my own working ms pac man game right before I sent it
out. I played a game on it not even 10 minutes before I put it in the box.
That harness and power supply are definately good. You are welcome to send
it back for a refund if you like.

"Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
> It fried 2 working board sets??? I used everything new from your harness.
> This was a customers game that i was fixing and fried her board set as
> well as my spare?? I trust everyone on this group for i don't know a lot
> about fixing thingd and until now never got burnt. Now i am out a board
> and have to pay to have hers repaired
>
> Jeff
>
> "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
>> That someone would be me. What is wrong with the one I sent you?
>>

>> "Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello All,
>>> Try this again. I bought one from someone in CT and got my ass burnt.
>>> So i am asking if someone honest will sell me a complete uncut working
>>> (working thats the key word) Ms pacman harness and transformer. Again
>>> needs to be 100% working. I have a few things to offer in trade or can
>>> send cash either way please LMK. Shipping will be to Roanoke VA 24019
>>>
>>> thanks Jeff

Also, did the boards get physically fried? Or are they just not working?

"Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
> It fried 2 working board sets??? I used everything new from your harness.
> This was a customers game that i was fixing and fried her board set as
> well as my spare?? I trust everyone on this group for i don't know a lot
> about fixing thingd and until now never got burnt. Now i am out a board
> and have to pay to have hers repaired
>
> Jeff
>
> "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
>> That someone would be me. What is wrong with the one I sent you?
>>

>> "Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello All,
>>> Try this again. I bought one from someone in CT and got my ass burnt.
>>> So i am asking if someone honest will sell me a complete uncut working
>>> (working thats the key word) Ms pacman harness and transformer. Again
>>> needs to be 100% working. I have a few things to offer in trade or can
>>> send cash either way please LMK. Shipping will be to Roanoke VA 24019
>>>
>>> thanks Jeff

i'd almost bet he plugged in backwards....with no keyed connector!

<takeman@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I agree....Edge connector plugged in backwards maybe?
>
> Troy

Did you blow any of the 4 fuses once installed? You may have put the edge
connector on backward. They aren't keyed so it is an easy way to mess up a
board. Those old linear power supplies are pretty reliable. I've never
seen one put out too much power, it's usually old solder that diminishes the
amount of power they put out. I would guess that you connected something
incorrectly. Did you check voltages before installing the boardset? It's
just 12 and 7 volts AC that are being supplied into the board so a quick
test could have prevented blowing out a board. If the first board blew out,
did you test the harness and power supply to make sure it was working before
you put in the second? I'm not trying to start a war here, I just know John
wouldn't sell you something that was obviously not working.

I've been dealing with John since he first got into the hobby with his first
Pac machine and I can say he's a stand up guy. I've probably done 50+
trades, purchases and sales with John and have never had a problem.

Scott

"Docrotcod" <rahbart@cox.net> wrote in message
>I don't see how a wiring harness could fry a board set unless it was
>installed wrong or something was awry with your power supply. The worst
>that could happen with the wiring harness is if you had a bad contact it
>wouldn't work imo.
>
> Thomas
>
> "Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
>> It fried 2 working board sets??? I used everything new from your
>> harness. This was a customers game that i was fixing and fried her board
>> set as well as my spare?? I trust everyone on this group for i don't
>> know a lot about fixing thingd and until now never got burnt. Now i am
>> out a board and have to pay to have hers repaired
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
>>> That someone would be me. What is wrong with the one I sent you?
>>>

>>> "Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message

No offense dude, but if you "don't know a lot about fixing things", and
suspect a wiring harness, of all things, as having fried a boardset, then
maybe you shouldn't be working on other peoples' games.

"Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
> It fried 2 working board sets??? I used everything new from your harness.
> This was a customers game that i was fixing and fried her board set as
> well as my spare?? I trust everyone on this group for i don't know a lot
> about fixing thingd and until now never got burnt. Now i am out a board
> and have to pay to have hers repaired
>
> Jeff
>
> "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
>> That someone would be me. What is wrong with the one I sent you?
>>

>> "Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> Hello All,
>>> Try this again. I bought one from someone in CT and got my ass burnt.
>>> So i am asking if someone honest will sell me a complete uncut working
>>> (working thats the key word) Ms pacman harness and transformer. Again
>>> needs to be 100% working. I have a few things to offer in trade or can
>>> send cash either way please LMK. Shipping will be to Roanoke VA 24019
>>>
>>> thanks Jeff

Well it's like this no i don't know alot about working on machines but i do
know how to switch out complete harnesses and plug one end to another. The
ladies harness was hacked so bad there was nothing to do with it so i just
wanted to do an easy fix by getting a new harness and transformer for the
game. I used everything i got but the speaker. So to reput it, it didn't
"fry" the board sets they just don't work anymore. One came out of my own
personal game. I am not trying to bash anyone i am just a little
disappointed i lost 2 working boards for something i have done a few times
before.

Jeff
"Rob Carroll" <robert.carroll30@verizon.net> wrote in message
> No offense dude, but if you "don't know a lot about fixing things", and
> suspect a wiring harness, of all things, as having fried a boardset, then
> maybe you shouldn't be working on other peoples' games.
>

> "Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
>> It fried 2 working board sets??? I used everything new from your
>> harness. This was a customers game that i was fixing and fried her board
>> set as well as my spare?? I trust everyone on this group for i don't
>> know a lot about fixing thingd and until now never got burnt. Now i am
>> out a board and have to pay to have hers repaired
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>> "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
>>> That someone would be me. What is wrong with the one I sent you?
>>>

>>> "Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message

Did you test the voltages coming off the transformer and make sure you
didn't accidently reverse the edge connector? I don't know the pinouts off
the top of my head, but maybe the boards aren't too badly damaged by the
edge connector being reversed. Just a thought.

Rob

> Well it's like this no i don't know alot about working on machines but i
> do know how to switch out complete harnesses and plug one end to another.
> The ladies harness was hacked so bad there was nothing to do with it so i
> just wanted to do an easy fix by getting a new harness and transformer for
> the game. I used everything i got but the speaker. So to reput it, it
> didn't "fry" the board sets they just don't work anymore. One came out of
> my own personal game. I am not trying to bash anyone i am just a little
> disappointed i lost 2 working boards for something i have done a few times
> before.
>
> Jeff
> "Rob Carroll" <robert.carroll30@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> No offense dude, but if you "don't know a lot about fixing things", and
>> suspect a wiring harness, of all things, as having fried a boardset, then
>> maybe you shouldn't be working on other peoples' games.
>>

>> "Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> It fried 2 working board sets??? I used everything new from your
>>> harness. This was a customers game that i was fixing and fried her board
>>> set as well as my spare?? I trust everyone on this group for i don't
>>> know a lot about fixing thingd and until now never got burnt. Now i am
>>> out a board and have to pay to have hers repaired
>>>
>>> Jeff
>>>
>>> "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message

Hi Rob
Thanks but i did plug the harness in right. Both harnesses had a round
sticker on the back and my Ms Pac did as well. I don't really know how to
do much testing with my voltage meter. Like i said i was trying to take the
easy way out. I did put the 2 boards back into my machine and got the same
thing. Who knows maybe something happened in shipping. I am not mad just
out 2 boards and sitting on my thumbs now.

> Did you test the voltages coming off the transformer and make sure you
> didn't accidently reverse the edge connector? I don't know the pinouts
> off the top of my head, but maybe the boards aren't too badly damaged by
> the edge connector being reversed. Just a thought.
>
> Rob
>

> "Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message
>> Well it's like this no i don't know alot about working on machines but i
>> do know how to switch out complete harnesses and plug one end to another.
>> The ladies harness was hacked so bad there was nothing to do with it so i
>> just wanted to do an easy fix by getting a new harness and transformer
>> for the game. I used everything i got but the speaker. So to reput it,
>> it didn't "fry" the board sets they just don't work anymore. One came
>> out of my own personal game. I am not trying to bash anyone i am just a
>> little disappointed i lost 2 working boards for something i have done a
>> few times before.
>>
>> Jeff
>> "Rob Carroll" <robert.carroll30@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>> No offense dude, but if you "don't know a lot about fixing things", and
>>> suspect a wiring harness, of all things, as having fried a boardset,
>>> then maybe you shouldn't be working on other peoples' games.
>>>

>>> "Mrtron" <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote in message

Mrtron <journeyfan@cox.net> wrote:
: Hi Rob
: Thanks but i did plug the harness in right. Both harnesses had a round
: sticker on the back and my Ms Pac did as well. I don't really know how to
: do much testing with my voltage meter. Like i said i was trying to take the
: easy way out. I did put the 2 boards back into my machine and got the same
: thing. Who knows maybe something happened in shipping. I am not mad just
: out 2 boards and sitting on my thumbs now.

This really just begs the question of why you're taking on repair work,
when you don't know what you're doing... It's highly unlikely that something
would happen to a harness in shipping to make it damage boards. Calling
out a reputable seller for your own mistakes is pretty low.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

> I want to know why the guy sold a good working harness right out of his
> working game? Did he
> not want the game anymore? Did he need the money or did the he have one
> just laying around for sale that he wasn't sure worked or not.

Yes, I needed the $35 for food and clothes for my family.

Again why
> would you take a good working harness out of a good and popular game?

I had another harness already pulled from another game (which was working
too). This is the one I intended to sell him. When I went to package it, I
noticed that two of the wires were spliced together with electrical tape.
It was a trivial thing, they were only grounds, but I know he specifically
requested an unhacked harness. So I took a good one out of one of my own
games. My wife had a baby a little early and I was delayed in sending out
his harness. I wanted to make sure he got a nice one.

I have plugged in several harnesses backwards and nothing has happened.
Now I have
> never done that on a Ms Pac. But what the hell could be different.

ummmm, a whole lot. There is a reason why many boards are keyed.....

> knows how to plug in a harness. Mrtron I would get your money back. But
> first send it to me and I will try it in my Ms Pac. It could use a new
> board set anyway, if it mess mine up no big deal. Let's all try to be
> helpful from now on and deal with games and not bashing!!!

I'll tell you what. Have him send it to a neutral third party. I'll give
him back double his money if it doesn't work.

> I'll tell you what. Have him send it to a neutral third party. I'll give
> him back double his money if it doesn't work.

I don't know any of you on a personal basis so he can send to me. I have
cocktail and uprights I can plug the harness into.

-Stephen

Ace

Chuk,
That was very nice of you to send one that had no hacks and put the hacked
one in your game.

"Stephen Beall" <sbeall@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I'll tell you what. Have him send it to a neutral third party. I'll
give
> > him back double his money if it doesn't work.
> >

> I don't know any of you on a personal basis so he can send to me. I have
> cocktail and uprights I can plug the harness into.
>

> -Stephen

Stephen is an honest guy.

Ace <odysseyarcade@cox.net> wrote:
: plugged in several harnesses backwards and nothing has happened. Now I have
: never done that on a Ms Pac. But what the hell could be different. Mrtron
: knows how to plug in a harness. Mrtron I would get your money back. But
: first send it to me and I will try it in my Ms Pac. It could use a new
: board set anyway, if it mess mine up no big deal. Let's all try to be
: helpful from now on and deal with games and not bashing!!!

Yeah... running 15VAC down a line that expects 7VAC... what could possibly
go wrong....

....well for starters, he probably blew out the regulator....

....once the regulator blew, there was nothing holding down the voltage
going to the ICS on the board, so chips that are spected for perhaps 6VDC max
were seeing 15-18V... I'm sure that didn't hurt them at all!

You're both just geniuses, aren't you.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

Ace <odysseyarcade@cox.net> wrote:
: Rob,
: All I will say to that is I would like to meet you my friend!!
: Let me know if you will be at any auctions so we can chat. Maybe I could
: make you understand things a little more.

Hmmm... is that not supposed to sound antagonistic?

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

FWIW, Jeff, like I said, I think you came out of the gate a little
strong... your initial post seemed like an accusation, but at this
point it seems (to me, anyway), that you're not looking to stir up any
trouble, and that's fine.

There really isn't much that can go wrong with a harness, outside of
what... maybe a couple wires' sheathing got chafed and they shorted
together? Unlikely, but possible. It does really sound to me like
maybe you put the edge connector on backwards... not necessarily a
*stupid* mistake, but a little careless to go by a little round sticker
rather than following a pinout. Maybe it's not the harness at all, but
another problem in the cabinet? If somebody pulled the iso transformer
out of the cab and you've got a faulty ground to the monitor, that can
cause problems too.

I hope you get those boards working again. There is a ton of info on
fixing Pacs out there, so if you put in a little time learning the
ropes and reading, I'm sure you'll be able to.

Good luck,
Rob

Rob Carroll wrote:
>You can't even read a voltage meter, and you're
>trying to convince us you know more than people with "tech" in their
>title?
>About fixing games, or life in general? That's like saying, "I can't
>boil
>water, but I'm better than most 4-star restaurant's chefs."

No he was comparing himself against ops & their "techs" & he is probably
correct. Change "4-star chef" to McDonald's night frier" and you are just
about right.
--
For God, family and republic!
My plan to save the world: