the subdirectory Repair

Can someone explain on the subdirectory Repair (under the system directory).
I was told that if dos programs do not work, I may copy the files
autoexec.nt, config.nt to the system32 subdirectory and work as usual.

Is there any limitation on this workaround?

Thank in advance

Sam
3 answers Last reply
More about subdirectory repair

    The \repair folder is supposed to be under \windows not \system. No
    limitation on copying the files you mentioed. Why would you think there is?

    "Sam" <sam@rentai.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone explain on the subdirectory Repair (under the system
    > directory).
    > I was told that if dos programs do not work, I may copy the files
    > autoexec.nt, config.nt to the system32 subdirectory and work as usual.
    >
    > Is there any limitation on this workaround?
    >
    > Thank in advance
    >
    > Sam

    No.

    But why don't you remove the trojan if you have to keep doing this?

    Did you change the files to Read-only?

    Seems to be an epidemic lately....

    This can be caused by a trojan.

    Get rid of the trojan.

    Update your antivirus software and run a full system scan.

    Copy the autoexec.nt file from C:\Windows\Repair to C:\Windows\System32
    And set Attributes for autoexec.nt to Read-only.

    Or %systemroot%\Repair to %systemroot%\System32

    Read-only
    [[Specifies whether this file is read-only, which means that it cannot be
    changed or accidentally deleted.]]

    1. Right click the file.
    2. Properties.
    3. Select: ? Read-only.
    4. Click: Apply.
    5. Click: OK.

    16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem error while installing or running a DOS application
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/16bit.htm

    MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based program Error Message
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_m.htm#16bit

    Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
    program
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uHObf1MeFHA.3040@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Sam <sam@rentai.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Can someone explain on the subdirectory Repair (under the system
    > directory). I was told that if dos programs do not work, I may copy the
    > files autoexec.nt, config.nt to the system32 subdirectory and work as
    > usual.
    >
    > Is there any limitation on this workaround?
    >
    > Thank in advance
    >
    > Sam

    Do these file changes along the time?
    Are there different versions?
    Are they identical to those of Win 2000?

    Thanks again

    Sam

    > The \repair folder is supposed to be under \windows not \system. No
    > limitation on copying the files you mentioed. Why would you think there
    is?

    > "Sam" <sam@rentai.com> wrote in message
    > > Can someone explain on the subdirectory Repair (under the system
    > > directory).
    > > I was told that if dos programs do not work, I may copy the files
    > > autoexec.nt, config.nt to the system32 subdirectory and work as usual.
    > >
    > > Is there any limitation on this workaround?
    > >
    > > Thank in advance
    > >
    > > Sam

Support Microsoft Windows XP