ATI x800XL AGP Issue. Help!

darth_hangover

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2005
I recently purchased a new ATI x800xl AGP Card for my system. When I installed into my system (board was rated for AGP 4x/8x), I noticed artifacts on the WindowsXP splash screen, so I removed the drivers that were installed (using the catalyst uninstall tool) for my 9500, but the artifacts were still there after the reboot (started, again, at the WinXP splash screen). So I went on line and looked around, tried messing with the BIOS Settings (setting AGP between 4x and 8x in BIOS), and sometimes the system would start with artifacts in 4x, and it would hang in 8x (with artifacts). So I decided to wipe my drive and re-install XP from scratch. No problems during XP setup, first time it goes to boot into XP, though, the artifacts appear again. I get into XP (VGA Mode - artifacts, we'll really just a garbled screen) and try to install Chipset drivers and ATI drivers. No difference. So I decide maybe my motherboard doesn't handle the newer AGP cards well or is the problem (it doesn't handle SATA and PATA drives installed at the same time like it's supposed to), so I get a new board and install it and same problems occur. I can get in to the system after XP startup (though the screen is distorted) and install chipset and ATI drivers, then system locks up on reboot. Ugh. I went to the store to try to exchange it, but they're out and the closest stock is over an hour away. Contact ATI but haven't gotten a response yet.

So, long story longer, my big question is do I have a bad video card or just an incompatable motherboard (the new motherboard is an ASUS P4P800S-X, the old board was an ABIT IS7-E2).

Any help would be appreciated!!!!

'Cause even Dark Lords of the Sith have to drink sometimes...

G

I dont think the baord are incompatible. Can you check the temps of the card?

I think the card is defective... Especially if your 9500 works fine in the system and you did a clean install, not much more you can do.

Whats up with your power supply thought? and full system specs just to make sure!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

darth_hangover

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2005
Oops. I meant to include system specs at the end of the post, but it ended up being longer than I intended...BTW, the 9500 does work in fine in the new board...

ASUS P4P800S-X board, 1GB RAM (2.5-3-3-7)- (don't remember the brand right now);P4 3.0E Prescott; 2xMaxtor 200Gb drives (one PATA - main, one SATA); ATI Radeon 9500 (now, anyway);Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Sound card.

G

Power supply? And di you connect the xTra power connector?

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

darth_hangover

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2005
It's an Antec 420W (not sure of the specific model right now). I did have the connector connected directly to the video card (in fact, it was a connector with nothing else on it). I know because after I installed the new mb, I forgot the power connector to the video card, and it wouldn't let me start up with out it (flashing red message on the screen telling me what an idiot I am - or something to that effect)...

Darth_Hangover