View my laptops hdmi input

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmason

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Hello, I have the Dell M17x Alienware laptop with both HDMI out and input ports. (please dont tell me that theres no such thing cause im staring right at them both....) I need to know how to view that HDMI input SOURCE. Basically im trying to hook up my XBOX to my HDMI input but my laptop detects nothing, and I dont see a way to view that source anywhere in the control panel settings. And I have checked the monitor display settings... and nothing..

Thanks for your help :)

drewmason

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Thanks for the quick reply. Well on the actual laptop it specifically says hdmi in. And if you look at the tech specs portion of the page you sent me, it also says, under ports, that there is hdmi input, with audio.. So I'm confused

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Seriously, there is only one HDMI port on the system I linked (the one on the left) the other slightly different shaped one is a DP port.

The specs page says HDMITM. That is either a typo (like for trademark) or it could refer to an HDMI port with a capability to handle a longer HDMI cable (like a signal booster/extender capability).

Have you contacted Dell with your question?

BTW, all HDMI ports output both video and audio.

benjamin007

Honorable
Jan 5, 2013

While holding down the fn key located by the windows key press f8.

Robert Gary

Honorable
May 24, 2013
This is a late reply but I agree with you. I also have an HDMI Input (Per what I see visually and the Spec Sheet listed on the Website). my F8 key also says HDMI IN and there are plenty of other sites that back up this claim. All of you who think you know what's what and state there is no HDMI Input on the Alienware M17X R4 are completely wrong. I have one and it is MOST definitely there and functions.

drewmason

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

I see, we'll I tried that, and with my Xbox connected through hdmi it still came up with a message saying please connect your hdmi device. And after switching my chord around, and pressing the fn/f8 button, my screen went black and that's all that happened... So I dunno..

dragon788

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
I've heard completely resetting the 360's display settings can fix the sync issue with HDMI IN on laptops and PVR recorders.

annego38

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013

Hi, I also got an Alienware.... I've been able to use HDMI IN, except that no sound came out from my speaker. Have you been able to fix that issue?

rwhite1203

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
On my Ailenware MX17 to view HDMI in you need to hit the Function 'FN' key and 'F9'. My F9 key says HDMI IN.

What I would like to do is use the HDMI IN port with a HD camera to stream video to the web via WebEx or some other source. Has anyone had any luck doing this and if so how did you do it?

thanks

Robert

Gpettigrew

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

704pcgenius

Reputable
Jun 5, 2014
I assure you that it is an HDMI in. I own the Alienware 14 (no HDMI in) and the Alienware 18 (HDMI in) I can hook an hdmi cable from the 14 to the 18 and hit FN + F9 and my Alienware 18 will display what is on my Alienware 14 screen. I assume it can be done with any other HDMI source as well.

andr3w1sh

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

It's definitely an HDMI IN. I have the same computer. FN+F8 is the command for the HDMI IN source. Stop saying it's not an IN. You don't have the computer, you don't know.

TheTrueToy

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
Why don't you try using "VLC Media Player"? That's what I normally do with my laptop (Clevo X8100), on Windows 7.

1. Connect a HDMI source to the laptop's HDMI input.
2. start VLC. Then, from the menu "Media" choose "Open capture device" or CTRL+C.
3. choose DirectShow as capture mode; in Video device name you have to choose your HDMI input chipset (in my case Yuan TM6200 BDA Analog Capture Secondary"; then I usually keep the rest as default (no audio) but you may change it if you prefer.
4. Click on Advanced Options: here type 16:9 as aspect ratio and enable the option to show Device Properties; click OK. Click on Play.
5. Under Video Decoder you may leave NTSC_M (if your HDMI source is detected and working you should see a 1 at SignalDetected). Click OK.
6. Under Stream Format select the desired Output Size (for example 1920x1080). Clik OK.
7. It may now ask for Audio properties and later Crossbar properties; here I always just click on OK on both popups.
8. Now from the menu "Video" select the option "Fullscreen".
9. Enjoy your video/screen sent via HDMI to your laptop.

The above is what I do in order to avoid using the old application which came with the laptop from Clevo "GameMate" because if I use that app the quality of the image outputted to my laptop's screen is really worse (!) compared to the one outputted by the above described VLC solution.

I hope I gave you a useful help even though you might have different hardware configuration.

Tazenda

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014

I've got an Alienware M17xR4, it usually automatically switches to the HDMI input but FN+F9 also says "HDMI IN" on it, try that.

pushingpixels

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014

pushingpixels

Reputable
Nov 12, 2014
Hi Drew, late reply. Same thing for me. Bad news is I called Dell (only contact for alienware-since they own them) and the function is correct-the HDMI in only acts as a monitor. You cannot acquire an HDMI video. When its selected as an input, you lose all computer functionality.

Reppy07

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014
I know this is an old thread. But this may help future people who come across this thread. My friend has both in and out ports on his alienware and has in fact proved to me that he can play his ps4 on it. We work in security and a lot of our sites are boring and isolate so we bring our laptops and he actually brought his ps4 one day and played it all night. So yes, it is very much possible. Could be maybe you just need to make sure everything is updated, maybe OS plays a role in it, maybe the gaming system itself as well. But it is possible :)

Edit: The OP may be old but just saw recently replied posts lol. Glad someone else mention the FN key. My friend said his is FN+F8 to switch over but also does it automatically.

Status
Not open for further replies.