The REAL Pac-Man colors?? / Pac Bezel wanted

I have a Pac-Man upright I'm trying to restore and the artwork needs some
serious touch-up/respray. I am looking to see if anyone knows the REAL
color codes. I found some Sherwin-Williams Codes online, but not only are
they 10 years out of date (meaning they don't have most of the bases &
pigments anymore) but the one they did mix for me was WAY off. I have been
able to find a very close match for the yellow - the paint on a can of Goof
Off! (Although it is a very tiny bit off still.) For the blue and "orange"
(red), I still haven't found any matches. I'm be touching up, so it really
has to be as close as humanly possible.

Also, anyone have an original Pac-Man upright glass bezel they might sell
me?

did you try appolo.com or apollo.com (I can never remember the spelling)

--
Art
"Particle Man" <particle-man@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a Pac-Man upright I'm trying to restore and the artwork needs some
> serious touch-up/respray. I am looking to see if anyone knows the REAL
> color codes. I found some Sherwin-Williams Codes online, but not only are
> they 10 years out of date (meaning they don't have most of the bases &
> pigments anymore) but the one they did mix for me was WAY off. I have
> been
> able to find a very close match for the yellow - the paint on a can of
> Goof
> Off! (Although it is a very tiny bit off still.) For the blue and
> "orange"
> (red), I still haven't found any matches. I'm be touching up, so it
> really
> has to be as close as humanly possible.
>
> Also, anyone have an original Pac-Man upright glass bezel they might sell
> me?

I hope Brian is able to get a accurate sample soon for Donkey Kong
Blue.

On 28 Aug 2005 22:00:19 -0700, "Newbie" <tschrock@cox.net> wrote:

>Hello Particle man,
>You might try this site too....
>
>http://www.rgvac.com/paints.asp
>
>I have used the codes for Donkey Kong Orange and Track & Field Blue and
>they were both right on.
>
>TS

I had the same project this past week and searched for Pac yellow codes
online but came up empty on quart formulas. The cab wasn't too bad so
I bought several brands of yellow spray paint to test.

I'd written down the suggestions I found, but ended up at Home Depot
where none of them were sold. I bought and tried: Painters Touch
yellow, some kind of Rust-o-leum yellow, and America's Finest yellow.

I sprayed a quarter size spot of each on the back door and waited for
them to dry. The America's Finest was a perfect match, so perfect in
fact that the only way to tell where it was, was by looking for the
shift in sheen from the old paint.

I also sprayed some of the America's Finest yellow in a plastic cup so
it could be brushed into several small nicks, but after a few minutes
the cup melted so now I've got America's Finest yellow spotted shorts,
and America's Finest yellow spotted driveway......

Mike Doyle

Good thing you live in the ghetto over there where the neighbors aren't
likely to complain about your yellow driveway. :)

No kidding! I soaked those spots with some Goof Off, so now it's
America's Finest yellow big stain.

As usual, I'm in a hurry trying to get the cab touched up before the
rain starts, the damn cup melts in my hand but I don't notice it until
it's everywhere, then while I'm scrubbing the driveway, it starts to
sprinkle so it's a mad dash to get the cab back inside.....

I run for the handtruck, which is tangled in an extension cord, that
tips over a chair and dumps my toolbox contents. So here I am, running
around cussing with a yellow hand, yellow paint all over my shorts,
trying to get the game and everything in the driveway in out of the
rain.

It was one of those, "time to switch hobbies" moments.....

Mike Doyle

You might want to try loading the game up in your truck/suv and taking it
down to your local Sherwin-Williams to have the colors matched right there
on the spot. That's the only way to ensure accuracy with a specific match to
your exact cabinet. Generic color codes found on the internet rarely work as
many cabs fade at different rates as well as many people that submit color
codes didn't get it "right" in the first place.

Brian

"Particle Man" <particle-man@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have a Pac-Man upright I'm trying to restore and the artwork needs some
> serious touch-up/respray. I am looking to see if anyone knows the REAL
> color codes. I found some Sherwin-Williams Codes online, but not only are
> they 10 years out of date (meaning they don't have most of the bases &
> pigments anymore) but the one they did mix for me was WAY off. I have
been
> able to find a very close match for the yellow - the paint on a can of
Goof
> Off! (Although it is a very tiny bit off still.) For the blue and
"orange"
> (red), I still haven't found any matches. I'm be touching up, so it
really
> has to be as close as humanly possible.
>
> Also, anyone have an original Pac-Man upright glass bezel they might sell
> me?

The America's Finest yellow was a spray paint that I believe was
enamel. If you're looking for a spot to try beforehand, the back of
the cabinet doesn't show, alternately you could test on the vertical
side extensions where the cab sides project above the cab roof.
Oftentimes the tops of painted cabs are stained from years of
accumulated grime, but those upper top side projections aren't so bad.

If you follow-up with the blue splatter over your touch-ups, they'll be
almost invisible (provided your cab originally came with blue
splatter). I had some of the Ms Pac blue laying around and used a
stiff bristle toothbrush to apply the splatter over the touch-ups, it
came out perfect.

Mike Doyle

Someone mentioned taking the whole cab to Sherwin Williams, but when I
restored my Pac, I found it pretty easy to just throw the back door
into my car and take it there. I carried the backdoor into the store,
and they mixed until they found one that matched it perfectly. Make
sure to clean it before matching, or it might be slightly off.

Whats wrong with safety yellow? I got a perfect match on my cab with
rustoleum saftey yellow from home depot. Of course, I'm in the same boat as
particle man... I need the blue and red, as well, and all the codes i've
found don't work.

-MM

"Particle Man" <particle-man@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I have a Pac-Man upright I'm trying to restore and the artwork needs some
> serious touch-up/respray. I am looking to see if anyone knows the REAL
> color codes. I found some Sherwin-Williams Codes online, but not only are
> they 10 years out of date (meaning they don't have most of the bases &
> pigments anymore) but the one they did mix for me was WAY off. I have
> been
> able to find a very close match for the yellow - the paint on a can of
> Goof
> Off! (Although it is a very tiny bit off still.) For the blue and
> "orange"
> (red), I still haven't found any matches. I'm be touching up, so it
> really
> has to be as close as humanly possible.
>
> Also, anyone have an original Pac-Man upright glass bezel they might sell
> me?

Is the America's Finest Yellow that you used an oil-based paint? And
are you touching up? Also, let me know if you can pinpoint the other 2
colors, that would be great. I wonder if there is a way I can test the
color beforehand...

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Prok

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003

safety yellow isn't even in the ballpark!

/b

"Michael R. Mattox" <diskoboy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Whats wrong with safety yellow? I got a perfect match on my cab with
> rustoleum saftey yellow from home depot. Of course, I'm in the same boat
> as particle man... I need the blue and red, as well, and all the codes
> i've found don't work.
>
> -MM
>

> "Particle Man" <particle-man@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Pac-Man upright I'm trying to restore and the artwork needs some
>> serious touch-up/respray. I am looking to see if anyone knows the REAL
>> color codes. I found some Sherwin-Williams Codes online, but not only
>> are
>> they 10 years out of date (meaning they don't have most of the bases &
>> pigments anymore) but the one they did mix for me was WAY off. I have
>> been
>> able to find a very close match for the yellow - the paint on a can of
>> Goof
>> Off! (Although it is a very tiny bit off still.) For the blue and
>> "orange"
>> (red), I still haven't found any matches. I'm be touching up, so it
>> really
>> has to be as close as humanly possible.
>>
>> Also, anyone have an original Pac-Man upright glass bezel they might sell
>> me?

...............I found it pretty easy to just throw the back door into my car
and take it there..............

The only problem with that is how is he supposed to color match the red and
the blue?

Brian

<kevinlshirk@aol.com> wrote in message
> Someone mentioned taking the whole cab to Sherwin Williams, but when I
> restored my Pac, I found it pretty easy to just throw the back door
> into my car and take it there. I carried the backdoor into the store,
> and they mixed until they found one that matched it perfectly. Make
> sure to clean it before matching, or it might be slightly off.

Erggg. I don't know how I would touch up with spray paint. I mean I
could do the large areas great that way and it saves me having to use a
paint sprayer, but then there's a lot of detail areas I need to do with
a brush, otherwise I'd be masking off for the next 3 years. And
wouldn't the oil / enamel difference be a problem? I suppose maybe I
could swing it somehow. Wonder if you can spray a bunch onto like a pad
and then use it to paint with (heh.) I doubt it would stay mobile
enough to paint with after sprayed, although maybe some thinner?
(Sounds like a train wreck there.) Any ideas would be appreciated.

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

My back door is supposed to be yellow? :D

Let me take this opportunity to ask. How about the top of the cab?
Yellow? How about the sides on either side of the top? Also, how about
the inside-sides on the front (next to the T-molding.)

I ask, because my entire cabinet had been painted over in black. I got
the black off of the artwork patches, but wasn't sure what the rest of
it should be, and pics are unclear or often contradictory. Looks like I
have a lot more scraping to do after all...

I think the bottom sides near the T-molding are supposed to be yellow,
but honestly I think they look a whole lot better black. Not sure what
I am gonna do there yet.

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

Speaking of rain,
Now that I finally finished all the bondo work with both a Lunar
Lander and Defender cabs, now I'm ready to paint. And up comes
Katrina. Can't believe she's coming up to Ohio.

On 29 Aug 2005 08:42:26 -0700, "syncbus@gmail.com" <syncbus@gmail.com>
wrote:

>No kidding! I soaked those spots with some Goof Off, so now it's
>America's Finest yellow big stain.
>
>As usual, I'm in a hurry trying to get the cab touched up before the
>rain starts, the damn cup melts in my hand but I don't notice it until
>it's everywhere, then while I'm scrubbing the driveway, it starts to
>sprinkle so it's a mad dash to get the cab back inside.....
>
>I run for the handtruck, which is tangled in an extension cord, that
>tips over a chair and dumps my toolbox contents. So here I am, running
>around cussing with a yellow hand, yellow paint all over my shorts,
>trying to get the game and everything in the driveway in out of the
>rain.
>
>It was one of those, "time to switch hobbies" moments.....
>
>Mike Doyle

I'd forgotten about the blue spatter. Seems slightly wierd to take a
perfectly fine paint job and spatter it with an off color. prOk, any
ideas on applying the spatter? Wonder how it was done at the factory?
Shake a paintbrush at it? :D

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:50:02 -0400, "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote:

>safety yellow isn't even in the ballpark!
>
>/b
>

>"Michael R. Mattox" <diskoboy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Whats wrong with safety yellow? I got a perfect match on my cab with
>> rustoleum saftey yellow from home depot. Of course, I'm in the same boat
>> as particle man... I need the blue and red, as well, and all the codes
>> i've found don't work.
>>
>> -MM
>>

>> "Particle Man" <particle-man@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a Pac-Man upright I'm trying to restore and the artwork needs some
>>> serious touch-up/respray. I am looking to see if anyone knows the REAL
>>> color codes. I found some Sherwin-Williams Codes online, but not only
>>> are
>>> they 10 years out of date (meaning they don't have most of the bases &
>>> pigments anymore) but the one they did mix for me was WAY off. I have
>>> been
>>> able to find a very close match for the yellow - the paint on a can of
>>> Goof
>>> Off! (Although it is a very tiny bit off still.) For the blue and
>>> "orange"
>>> (red), I still haven't found any matches. I'm be touching up, so it
>>> really
>>> has to be as close as humanly possible.
>>>
>>> Also, anyone have an original Pac-Man upright glass bezel they might sell
>>> me?

My mom (who used to paint and does know a FEW things I suppose) said
that a toothbrush can be used to make that effect. I haven't tried it
yet (going to try to perfect the effect on test pieces first... whenever
I manage to get my paint...)

--
Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

A Toothbrush. For the entire sideapanel x2 plus the front panel?

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 02:51:49 GMT, Particle Man <nobody@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>My mom (who used to paint and does know a FEW things I suppose) said
>that a toothbrush can be used to make that effect. I haven't tried it
>yet (going to try to perfect the effect on test pieces first... whenever
>I manage to get my paint...)
>
>--
>Sent via Gamer Newsgroups
>http://www.gamernewsgroups.com

After scraping both side panels and kickplate - twice - to remove the
black paint that covered my artwork, I cleaned both entire side panels
and the kickplate of the remaining black smear - with Q-tips. Hundreds
of them. A toothbrush for the splatter effect will be like automation
in comparison. But if you find a better way, go for it. :D This is my
baby, I have the patience for it.