Is this a good laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m82a1fx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I've been doing research and i found that that asus k55n is the laptop that i probably should get, for the price and proformence.
It says the gpu is UMA (not sure what that means) but everywhere else i read it says that the asus k55n is actually a Radeon HD 7640G.
Im just wondering if this is the computer that i should get for under 400 and can run games, to a decency.
+ if that one that i want to buy from best buy actally had a Radeon HD 7640G.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+K+Series+15.6%22+Laptop+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive+-+Matte+Light+Indigo/6087209.p?id=1218717240847&skuId=6087209&ref=06&loc=01&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=6087209&extensionType=pla:g&s_kwcid=PTC!pla!!!37678873159!g!!18463087999

Thanks.

Solution
Ok as far as I know, UMA stands for Unified Memory Architecture... This is when the Graphics Card is built into the Motherboard, and isn't separate, like it normally is. This is never normally a good option to take, because it can cause a lot of problems in terms of memory usage, and if you play a lot, the motherboard WILL get fried pretty quickly. Anyway, the k55 is a very basic laptop and isn't really for gaming. You won't be satisfied with the AMD A8-Series processor and the 1366 x 768 resolution. If you want to play games, don't settle for a K series, look into their G series.
Also, Brett is right, you won't really get anything for the price you want to pay. You're going to have to up your budget if you want decent laptop...

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
Ok as far as I know, UMA stands for Unified Memory Architecture... This is when the Graphics Card is built into the Motherboard, and isn't separate, like it normally is. This is never normally a good option to take, because it can cause a lot of problems in terms of memory usage, and if you play a lot, the motherboard WILL get fried pretty quickly. Anyway, the k55 is a very basic laptop and isn't really for gaming. You won't be satisfied with the AMD A8-Series processor and the 1366 x 768 resolution. If you want to play games, don't settle for a K series, look into their G series.
Also, Brett is right, you won't really get anything for the price you want to pay. You're going to have to up your budget if you want decent laptop performance. :)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.