Dell precision 410 Dilema

Ok I have a customer who has a dell precision 410 and it has a scsi
h/d, cdrom. Now I have removed the SCSI stuff and added a IDE drive.
Now comes the fun part. I boot up with 98 floppy, go to fdisk and says
"no drives found" No matter what I have changed in the BIOS I can't
get it to recognize a IDE drive.

Any help.

Thanx
JAS
5 answers Last reply
More about dell precision dilema

    "Johnathon Aaron Steel" <me@u.ca> wrote in message
    > Ok I have a customer who has a dell precision 410 and it has a scsi
    > h/d, cdrom. Now I have removed the SCSI stuff and added a IDE drive.
    > Now comes the fun part. I boot up with 98 floppy, go to fdisk and says
    > "no drives found" No matter what I have changed in the BIOS I can't
    > get it to recognize a IDE drive.
    >
    > Any help.
    >
    > Thanx
    > JAS

    Possible bad cable or cable connection, jumpering error, or BIOS setting I
    suspect.

    This all assumes the IDE drive is known to be good. Also be sure SCSI
    options are disabled in BIOS (under boot devices and drives).

    Stew

    I have tried 5 different cables and 5 different drives. I am hoping
    that it is in the bios cept I will be damned if I can find it. I am
    going to try and update the bios and see if that helps.

    I will play with bios as well.

    Wish me luck.

    JAS

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:39:38 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:

    >"Johnathon Aaron Steel" <me@u.ca> wrote in message
    >> Ok I have a customer who has a dell precision 410 and it has a scsi
    >> h/d, cdrom. Now I have removed the SCSI stuff and added a IDE drive.
    >> Now comes the fun part. I boot up with 98 floppy, go to fdisk and says
    >> "no drives found" No matter what I have changed in the BIOS I can't
    >> get it to recognize a IDE drive.
    >>
    >> Any help.
    >>
    >> Thanx
    >> JAS
    >

    >Possible bad cable or cable connection, jumpering error, or BIOS setting I
    >suspect.
    >
    >This all assumes the IDE drive is known to be good. Also be sure SCSI
    >options are disabled in BIOS (under boot devices and drives).
    >

    >Stew

    Are you sure this machine even supports booting from an IDE device. Many
    SCSI machines do not.

    Tom
    "Johnathon Aaron Steel" <slush@slush.ca> wrote in message
    >I have tried 5 different cables and 5 different drives. I am hoping
    > that it is in the bios cept I will be damned if I can find it. I am
    > going to try and update the bios and see if that helps.
    >
    > I will play with bios as well.
    >
    > Wish me luck.
    >
    > JAS
    >
    > On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:39:38 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    > <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >

    >>"Johnathon Aaron Steel" <me@u.ca> wrote in message
    >>> Ok I have a customer who has a dell precision 410 and it has a scsi
    >>> h/d, cdrom. Now I have removed the SCSI stuff and added a IDE drive.
    >>> Now comes the fun part. I boot up with 98 floppy, go to fdisk and says
    >>> "no drives found" No matter what I have changed in the BIOS I can't
    >>> get it to recognize a IDE drive.
    >>>
    >>> Any help.
    >>>
    >>> Thanx
    >>> JAS
    >>

    >>Possible bad cable or cable connection, jumpering error, or BIOS setting I
    >>suspect.
    >>
    >>This all assumes the IDE drive is known to be good. Also be sure SCSI
    >>options are disabled in BIOS (under boot devices and drives).
    >>

    >>Stew

    Well there is an interesting question I never considered.

    Thanx

    On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:28:04 GMT, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >Are you sure this machine even supports booting from an IDE device. Many
    >SCSI machines do not.
    >
    >Tom
    >"Johnathon Aaron Steel" <slush@slush.ca> wrote in message
    >>I have tried 5 different cables and 5 different drives. I am hoping
    >> that it is in the bios cept I will be damned if I can find it. I am
    >> going to try and update the bios and see if that helps.
    >>
    >> I will play with bios as well.
    >>
    >> Wish me luck.
    >>
    >> JAS
    >>
    >> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:39:38 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    >> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Johnathon Aaron Steel" <me@u.ca> wrote in message

    >>>Possible bad cable or cable connection, jumpering error, or BIOS setting I
    >>>suspect.
    >>>
    >>>This all assumes the IDE drive is known to be good. Also be sure SCSI
    >>>options are disabled in BIOS (under boot devices and drives).
    >>>

    >>>Stew

    Tom I do believe your right. Doesnt support IDE boot. Thanx for all
    the help u all :)

    JAS

    wrote:

    >Are you sure this machine even supports booting from an IDE device. Many
    >SCSI machines do not.
    >
    >Tom
    >"Johnathon Aaron Steel" <slush@slush.ca> wrote in message
    >>I have tried 5 different cables and 5 different drives. I am hoping
    >> that it is in the bios cept I will be damned if I can find it. I am
    >> going to try and update the bios and see if that helps.
    >>
    >> I will play with bios as well.
    >>
    >> Wish me luck.
    >>
    >> JAS
    >>
    >> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:39:38 -0500, "S.Lewis"
    >> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Johnathon Aaron Steel" <me@u.ca> wrote in message

    >>>Possible bad cable or cable connection, jumpering error, or BIOS setting I
    >>>suspect.
    >>>
    >>>This all assumes the IDE drive is known to be good. Also be sure SCSI
    >>>options are disabled in BIOS (under boot devices and drives).
    >>>

    >>>Stew

Dell Floppy Disk Computers